SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#210856 - 08/17/03 02:04 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Sesom163 Offline

hmm, no styles on the motif? but it still has a nice sequencer. Is the Motif particularly hard to use, I probably would not be phased by a style-less intrument (especially since I will be using the PSR740 side by side) but I still want something that I can bring to a venue, plug into speakers or whatever, and sit down an play, nothing extraneous to deal with

#210857 - 08/17/03 02:31 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
The Motif has a steep learning curve. If you are a newby to Workstation Keyboards you will most likely find the Motif rather daunting to Navigate and figure out how to use its many features. The new Motif ES which will hit the shelves in November or thereabouts, is suppose to be somewhat easier to use and Navigate than its predecessor. Once you figure it out you won't be disappointed in the Sounds or capabilities the Mo ES possesses IMO. In fact you should be the talk of town or at least in your own inner circle of friends by the fact that you will own the newest "Monster" Workstation Keyboard on the Market.

Best regards,
Mike

PS: Actually, if you get a Tyros you will have the best Arranger on the market (Tyros was voted Arranger Keyboard of the Year for 2003), plus the sounds on the Tyros are comparable in many ways to the Motif for quality. But then again since you already have a PSR 740, you may want to stick with it and get the Motif ES and use the Mo' for Studio Production and also to Gig with while you could use the 740 for 'doodling' around with to get ideas for songs.

#210858 - 08/17/03 03:40 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I have to agree with idatrod... The Motif has a very steep learning curve.. Especially for a beginner. However one of the members did make a good point when suggesting a synth along with your arranger. The Motif isn't a budget synth, but you might want to consider something like the Korg Triton Le.. It's a budget synth.. Not too hard on the pocket if you got the money, and the learning curve isn't as steep as the Motif. The Motif does not have styles, and is not an arranger meaning it doesn't have the auto accomp feature of the 740.. The Motif does however have preset drums beats. I think they is something like 50 or so... They're pretty good too.. Some nice hip hop stuff in there. The 740's still a great keyboard, and having it along with a synth like the Triton Le would be good.. Here's another idea.. You can get the best of both worlds with a Korg PA-80 or PA-60... It's basically an arranger with many synth functions like in depth voice editing.. There are several users here with the PA's as well.. I know Bluezplayer is one of them..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#210859 - 08/17/03 05:49 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
As you are probably on a budget and as you stated are new to keyboard thing, I would suggest an older synth, workstation or even an arranger. Something cheap to really learn about keyboards and texture creation. You could get several keyboards and still keep it under a thousand dollars. Say a Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Roland D-50, Kurzweil K-1200 (or even a PC-88) maybe even a Generalmusic S2(3), Generalmusic Equinox. Now none of these that I mentioned are arrangers, but everyone of them are professional instruments that are still used on stage today, and will teach you a lot about midi, sampling, FM synth, Sound texture etc.. Things that will make you a better musician and give you the ability to create your own sound and style. IMO is almost more important than your playing still, as this will make you sound different, which differentiates you from others that use stock sounds.

#210860 - 08/17/03 06:33 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
Quote:
Originally posted by Idatrod:
The Motif has a steep learning curve. If you are a newby to Workstation Keyboards you will most likely find the Motif rather daunting to Navigate and figure out how to use its many features.

That is it. I am not buying a motif.

#210861 - 08/17/03 07:22 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Sesom163 Offline

hmm, well, actually from my gigs, i have a good deal saved up, and would rather by something newer that will last me longer; im getting positive vibes on this Motif ES, but id like to here more about the PA 80 , any of you with PA's care to share a bit about them?

#210862 - 08/17/03 11:36 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
The only drawbacks to the PA80 are the drum fills and the vocal harmonizer. The actual tone of the harmonies is good, but the control is way out in left field. There is NO way to trigger harmonies except in VOCODER type mode. Actual notes played translate to actual harmony voices sounded. Very wrong to only include that method.
The drum fill are horrid. Many sound like a new drummer stepped in to play the fills and let another player handle the rest of the trax. Again...great tone and kits, but lousy control.
The PSR drum patters are more usable ina generic sense.

The strengths of the PA80 are:
1)dual sequencers
2)multitasking with ease
3)good feel
4)better than average piano sample
5)stereo inputs to the SPEAKERS.
6)SPEAKERS
7)multiple outs
8)deep editing of sounds and styles
9)rewritable styles...even factory styles.
10)light weight, yet pretty loud and powerful.

#210863 - 08/17/03 11:51 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi Mike

I missed that award for the Tyros. Where did you see that?

Thanx

Scott Langholff

#210864 - 08/18/03 01:15 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
Sesom163 Offline

alright so, a few more questions (they never stop ) , first of all, what are the prices (MSRPs, or even what you got your for) on the PA80, Tyros, and 2100 and when is this Motif ES i keep hearing about coming around

#210865 - 08/18/03 01:56 PM Re: Buying additional keyboard
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Here's a suggestion: if you don't especially need an arranger or the most sophisticated studio instrument and you just want a solid and respectable gigging keyboard, check out the Kurzweil KME-61 which is selling for under $700 currently.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online