SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210652 - 06/06/05 07:33 PM Help with WMA files
Beakybird Offline

Hi! I purchased some WMA files from Walmart.com to learn Carribean songs. They don't Play when I click on them, even though other WMA files I have work. What could be going on? The file properties say that they are protected. Could this have something to do with the files not playing on my computer?

Beakybird

[This message has been edited by Beakybird (edited 06-06-2005).]

#210653 - 06/06/05 07:52 PM Re: Help with WMA files
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
It is most likely a licensing issue. Windows Media Play v.10 can be set up to handle the lincensing as part of the download.

Eddie

#210654 - 06/06/05 08:00 PM Re: Help with WMA files
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Larry...
Just to clarify, if you have WinMediaPlayer v.10, look for "managing licenses" under tools.
e

#210655 - 06/06/05 08:21 PM Re: Help with WMA files
Beakybird Offline

So I could then play these files in an MP3 player, but not on the computer until I take care of the licensing issue. The first time I tried to play it, I did get a screen saying that I needed to update my Windows Media Player, but then nothing happened after I clicked. So I will try downloading a newer version of Windows Media Player. Thanks.

Beakybird

#210656 - 06/07/05 04:34 AM Re: Help with WMA files
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I don't believe this these files will play on your portable device unless you get the appropriate licenses onto the device as well.

Let me explain....

A friend of mine has recently suffered at the hands of WMA files with embedded Digital Rights Management (DRM)(i.e. legit!)

Purchased and downloaded files using Windows 98 machine. Tries to run files, zilch. I think he needs the latest Media Player, but WM10 doesn't run on 98....

After some Googling, it seems that with MP10, the license file is downloaded the first time the file is played.

So I took a copy of the WMA file and tried it on my machine (XP SP2, WM10). Plays fine.

As it happens, my friend's (work) PC has been upgraded and he now has XP and WM10.

Lo, the files work fine on his new PC.

With MP10 theres a "portable audio device" management window which you use to copy audio files to your portable device, and I assume this will also copy the required license.

So he's copied the wma's to the portable device using this option in WM10.... and they still don't play. Investigations continue!

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 06-07-2005).]

#210657 - 06/07/05 01:22 PM Re: Help with WMA files
manic2257 Offline

Loc: australia
just a quick word to the wise... a lot of (in fact most) older MP3 players dont recognise WMA files, only the more recent (ie past 12 months) units have included the WMA codec..of course if you are playing on your PC there should be no problem, apart from those already mentioned here.

peace, out

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online