SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210436 - 01/07/00 04:24 PM GEM WK R.A.S.S system
DannyUK Offline

Hi there!

I was wondering, how is the RASS system within the GEM WK range doing? The last thing I received for my 'lent out to my father' GEM WK8 keyboard was some IBIZA Club styles using the RASS system and they were absolutely stunning styles (but took about 100 years to load up from disk though).

Does anybody who owns a GEM keyboard or comes in contact with GEM software know if RASS is still going strong and by what is the latest type of software out for it?

Thanks in advance,
Danny (UK)

#210437 - 01/07/00 09:33 PM Re: GEM WK R.A.S.S system
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Danny,
It's interesting you bring up the WK8 tonight. I was thinking about how slow generalmusic has been selling the last 4 months. It went from being my most popular line last year, to a very slow seller this year. The middle eastern keyboard models are still doing real well, but the "international models", the WK6 and WK8 have really slowed down.
The RASS styles have not been a big hit in my store. I've recieved some custom vocal RASS styles from one of Generalmusics developers, but other than that, not much. I've purchased some new disk styles from GEM, but they didn't do much for me.
Since the X1 showed up, very few higher hend keyboards have been selling at my store. I could sure give someone a great deal on a WK8 or EM2000 these days!
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#210438 - 01/07/00 09:44 PM Re: GEM WK R.A.S.S system
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Danny,
I don't think my first reply worked because I saw a blank page so I will attempt to duplicate it.
I was thinking today about how slow the sale of WK8's have been since the X1 was released and for sale at my store. Last year the WK4,6 and 8 were leading the sales at my store but this year only the middle Eastern models (WK2 HD Oriental and PK5 Oriental) have been doing well.
A few months ago I recieved a few cool RASS styles from one of the Developers that work for GEM. These were very cool, but other than these I have not been real impressed with the few disks I have purchased from Generalmusic with RASS styles. I think the potential is great, but I'd like to see more coming from the factory. One of my big complaints is that there is no rep in the Western United States and there is no correspondence coming out of Chicago, where the distributor is. It's that whole Italian keyboard mystic, compared to the big Japanese Company's way of doing business. Solton and Generalmusic just don't put big distribution sites here in the US. I guess Generalmusic is trying with the addition of Peavey here in the US, but this is only for their pro products and not the WK and PK models.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#210439 - 01/08/00 04:06 PM Re: GEM WK R.A.S.S system
DannyUK Offline

Hi George,

Thanks for your kind response.

Im am a little suprised about the WK keyboards slowing doing because they are doing so much in the UK with advertisments and offers, maybe they reason is exactly what you said! But lets face it, since the WK6 and WK8, theres been the EM2000, then the X1, then the PSR540 to 740, then the KN6000 and now the PSR9000, and I think that most of these keyboards are actually better and cheaper than the WKs, thats maybe why.

About RASS, I think they are a rip off as well, they sell in the UK for around £19 pounds (or around $32 dollars) a disk, and you only get 4 STYLES ! Yes only 4. But the disk I got was free because my local store got the lastest disk in for free as part of GEM's cut price on both software and keyboards. The price for only 4 styles is totally riddiculous. But they are very good though, those Ibiza styles are amazing.

I think you may agree with me George, but GEM need to start producing something special now to stay within the market, or they may face being totally left behind, what do you think?

Danny (UK)

PS, my username and password is still being kept! even after nearly 24 hours!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online