SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#210271 - 08/26/01 07:05 AM Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
MonSound Offline

Loc: Norway
Hi, and thanks for all the good posts on this list.

I'm looking for a new arranger keyboard to replace my old PSR 8000. My question is: Is there any arranger keyboard out there which can provide realistic sounds for trumpet, clarinet, sax and violin? I've listened to demos from several keyboards like the SD1 and the VA-76. I don't really like what I hear on these demoas. Several people have claimed that the "Sweet" and "Cool" voices of the 9000Pro is the best you can get, but I haven't been able to listen to this keyboard yet.

So, is there anybody out there who can tell me which keyboard have the best of the above mentioned sounds?

Also, I mostly do live performances, and I almost never use the sequencing / sampling stuff. What I need is a good keyboard for live use. I really like the arrangements and styles of the SD1. How does those compare to the 9000Pro?

#210272 - 08/26/01 07:42 AM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
The PSR-8000 is a nice machine, but if you want to compare the sound quality of that to the 9000 pro, the hands down winner would be the 9000 pro. I believe the 8000 has 12mb's of sound. The 9000 pro has way more and its voices are much more realistic. the 9000 pro will also give you 76 keys which are synth weighted. The pro is a step up from the PSR9000 without speakers, and 50% more voices. It's also more suitable for performance, and it doesn't have internal speakers.
The SD-1 is also a great board. It has very realistic voices, and in my opinion the best and most realistic styles out there. If I remember correctly the SD-1's keys are semi-weighted with more of a piano feel compared to the 9000 pro. The SD-1 is a good board for performance. If you really want to know what the SD-1 is capable of doing you should talk to Dan0 who is a member to this site as well. He works at guitar center and knows a great deal about solton/ketron and is also a dealer for them. He knows them inside and out, and if you bought one from him you'd have really good customer support for it...
I honestly think that choosing between these two boards is a little hard. They are both great keyboards and have awsome sounds and features, but you need to look at the specs for each and decide which one would suit you best..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#210273 - 08/26/01 08:42 AM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
Try the technics kn6500 with expansion card ew01.
Very good brass and reed sounds.
For me it is the best sound.
I have owned a roland em2000, va 5 , a yamaha psr 8000, psr 9000 , psr740 but the technics is the one.

#210274 - 08/26/01 08:46 AM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Here is a link to download demoes of the SD1: http://digilander.iol.it/ketron/ita_main.htm
There used to be demoes of the 9000/9000 pro on the Yamaha site of Japan ( http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/ ) but I was unable to find them right now.
Regards,
Andrea

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 08-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Dreamer (edited 08-26-2001).]

#210275 - 08/26/01 09:53 AM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
MonSound
You will never get any group of people (like us) to tell you what keyboard has the best sounds. It is entirely too subjective. What YOU might like, we might not. You have to listen and choose for yourself.
And, also, you will not find one keyboard that has what you consider "perfect" sounds in every area. It just doesn't exists. To do that, someone would have to take a Technic's piano, a Korgs string's, a Yamaha's flute, a Roland's sax, etc. and combine them into one. Sure, there will be one keyboard that you like much more than others. But not one that will be "perfect" in every area.
Tom
PS: If you like the 8000, I think the 9000 would be a logical step up for you to consider. But, you will LOOSE some features (and GAIN a lot). That is why some players still hold onto their 8000's.

#210276 - 08/26/01 12:02 PM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Try so many of the brands as you possible can,
and listen to your own feelings before you go
the final step!
Here we only yell for the brand we have at
the moment, so it will be very subjective.
But of course I can join the choir too, and
wisper: Try out Technics as well!
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#210277 - 08/26/01 12:17 PM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
I do not think that PSR9Kpro has considerably better sounds than PSR8K. Also I believe Yamaha right now is at or close to the top winner. Therefore, I suggest you wait for new keyboard that beats all of those combined. GEM will be introducing new keyboard this comming winter NAMM. We have in so many occasions told them that: they need to get tons of memory in their new boards and also listen to Yamaha sounds to make sure to beat them. I hope they deliver!

#210278 - 08/26/01 01:11 PM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
If you have the money, go for the Technics. For Jazz and popular American sounding Reeds and Brass in general, you won't beat the quality of the sounds on the Technics.

Piano to me sounds great on all boards mostly because of it's always in tune. The Yamaha may be second in these sounds.

The Solton X1 has good sounds for reeds and brass also. But for Big Band,Swing and Jazz in general, the X1 lags as does the Yamaha for the styles in these catorgories.

I depend on the styles the players here that don't use the styles seem to think the styles aren't important. But to me they are.
Boo

#210279 - 08/26/01 08:30 PM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
No question in my mind .....the SD1 is my favorite . The trumpets,violins etc..are all improved on the SD1 vs. the X1 . I do not have a 9000pro on the floor . I do have the Motif right next to the SD1 . The SD1 still wins in most customer's opinion's for overall sound quality. The drums on the SD1 totally kick butt ! Either Way ....Guitar Center offers a 30day return policy . No questions asked , full refund minus shipping if you are not completely happy. Of course GC allows you to exchange for another keyboard !
dano oneils4@home.com or GC 410 821 5200

#210280 - 08/26/01 10:36 PM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi monsound,
What would you take for your old PSR-8000?
nobby10@nemonet.com
Best regards,
Nobby

#210281 - 08/27/01 11:03 AM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
MonSound Offline

Thanks for all your good answers and advices. I'm still confused though... I've never heard a real SD1 playing, just the demos, and i don't like the solo sounds I hear on the demo. On the other hand, i really like the styles so....

Well, I've got use a little more time to check out the different models. I just wish there where more dealers here in the west of Norway...

Again, thanks for all your opinions. If there's still somebody out there who have a word on this subject, your contribution is greatly appreciated.

GunnarJonny: Thanks, I might check out the 6500 if I can find one. Nice to see that there's more Norwegians on this list. Could you tell me which dealer you normally use?

Dan01: Do you think the SD1's solo sounds are better than the Sweet, cool and live voices of the 9000Pro? When I listen to the great "Autumn leave" MP3, I really enjoy what I hear.. until the trumpet and clarinet kicks in. I don't find these sound very realistic. What do you think? Also, I'would really like to get my new keyboard from you, but I think the distance would be a problem, as i live in the west of Norway.

Nobby: Sorry, my old 8000 is already sold on auction here in Norway.

#210282 - 08/27/01 11:12 AM Re: Best trumpet, clarinet, sax or violin?
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Hi MonSound
I was not aware of that you're a Viking too
I'll send you a mail in Norwegian.
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online