SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210239 - 05/26/05 08:05 PM Multipad button broke...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Guys-

...The 1st multi-pad button on my Tyros is broken. The upper-left hand corner seems caved in. It operates fine, but its probably a matter of time.

...Wondering if that's clearly an authorized service repair or if its something I could do on my own? Should I expect this type repair to be very expensive?

Ideas?

Bill in Dayton

#210240 - 05/27/05 06:11 AM Re: Multipad button broke...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

If I recall, the multi-pad button is not a separate item, but instead, part of an entire board. This is not something you can easily replace on your own. When it drops dead, which is sounds as if it will, send it to an authorized service center.

Now the bad news. It may take some time just to get the part. Therefore, if you don't have a back-up keyboard, you may want to think about picking one up ASAP. The repairs will likely take a few weeks, could take as long as a couple months, depending on part availability.

Good Luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#210241 - 05/27/05 06:34 AM Re: Multipad button broke...
Tomcat Offline

Loc: Ft Collins Colorado, USA
In the meantime, you might consider contacting a repair shop and see if you can preorder that part so that it will be available when you need it. When it comes in, you can either have yours replaced or pick it up and save it until yours actually breaks and quits working and then have it replaced.

Tom

------------------
Bigger is not always better

#210242 - 05/27/05 08:44 AM Re: Multipad button broke...
Bill in Dayton Offline

An idea...maybe a bad one?

I have never used my One Touch Setting buttons. They are also a 4 button strip that appear to me to be very similar if not the same at the multi pad area.

Could these two be switched?

I have a PSR3000 as a backup board...so, if it is a nightmare...I could stay up & running pretty easily.

Good idea to have Dayton Musician's Service pre-order the necessary parts and contact me when they arrive. They are good guys down their...with a bit if planning, they'd have me come by and do it while I wait, I bet.

Of course, if I didn't mash the damn thing in the first place, I wouldn't have this problem, now would I?

Ahem....

Bill in Dayton

#210243 - 05/27/05 08:49 AM Re: Multipad button broke...
Bill in Dayton Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill in Dayton:
An idea...maybe a bad one?

I have never used my One Touch Setting buttons. They are also a 4 button strip that appear to me to be very similar if not the same as the multi pad area.

Could these two be switched?

I have a PSR3000 as a backup board...so, if it is a nightmare...I could stay up & running pretty easily.

Good idea to have Dayton Musician's Service pre-order the necessary parts and contact me when they arrive. They are good guys down there...with a bit if planning, they'd have me come by and do it while I wait, I bet.

Of course, if I didn't mash the damn thing in the first place, I wouldn't have this problem, now would I?

Ahem....

Bill in Dayton

#210244 - 05/27/05 10:44 AM Re: Multipad button broke...
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Bill...
I recently experienced the same problem on my T3. This is the second time a button has gone, and most likely from hitting it too hard in the middle of a song for a patch switch. I've actually got three replacements on order and I'm going with the metal based buttons instead of the plastic. I'll let you know how things work out.
Good Luck with your repairs.

------------------
...shboom

#210245 - 05/27/05 12:04 PM Re: Multipad button broke...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I had a couple that seemed to be going out, but they never did. I sold it to a little old lady who only plays it in nursing homes. True story.
DonM

#210246 - 05/27/05 12:12 PM Re: Multipad button broke...
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I have a similar problem with my Yamaha 9000 Pro. The right end of the strip of eight registration buttons has dropped down to such an extent that button 8 is now slightly below the level of the keyboard's surface. Button 7 is about even with the surface of the keyboard. The progression of elevation continues as such until #1 is at the original (correct) elevation above the surface of the keyboard. Everything seems to be working as it should but in deference to this situation I have placed the keyboard on a stand and do not move it. This of course limits its utility. I had hoped to use it in some performances this summer but now I'm afraid to move it. There are no repair shops anywhere near me. I would have to ship the keyboard somewhere which would be quite expensive due to its size and weight. It is out of warranty so I might look into it myself with a bit of guidance. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Deaton

#210247 - 05/27/05 12:52 PM Re: Multipad button broke...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I guess Roland must be doing something right...

#210248 - 05/27/05 01:53 PM Re: Multipad button broke...
Dnj Offline

Fran and I replaced all the buttons on my G1000 without a problem ourselves ...just order the parts and remove and clip in the new ones....piece of cake.

BTW..Lunch at "HOOTER'S" was Great today Fran

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online