SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#210190 - 11/07/01 08:01 AM question for George and others
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
In regards to this Statement from a member here -
"On the Technics KN keyboards you can easily record a sequence 2-4 bar sequence (much as you requested) which can be triggered via performance pad buttons."

I am trying to find out if much longer sequences (10 -30 seconds)can be recorded for playback in this fashion - and if they can be totally out of time and seemingly unrelated to the style currently being used in a song - for example - a segue into an interlude that has no set beat - only a set duration. Do most arrangers do that? and when you recall a song or song style for playback - would it load that sequence at the same time?

regards
Mike

#210191 - 11/07/01 08:48 AM Re: question for George and others
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Mike: On the Technics KN5000, the Manual Sequencer (Performance) Pad User area allows you to record up to 1800 (event) notes, which should easily allow you to record sequences 10 - 30 seconds long. In fact, I was able to record a 3 minute sequence (over 100 measures) with plenty of memory left over.

Yes, you can record (and have it playback) totally out of time, seemingly unrelated to the auto accompaniment style played by the arranger.

There are TWO Manual Sequencer Pad recording options:

Sync to Rhythm: During a rhythm performance, the phrase starts 'in time' with the measure.

Instant Start: The phrase starts as soon as the pad button is pressed, independent of the rhythm (arranger auto accomp. style) being played.

As I stated previously, I think that the Technics KN6500/KN5000 is the IDEAL keyboard for the style of music you enjoy playing (swing jazz & real book standards).Happy music making.

- Scott

#210192 - 11/07/01 09:31 AM Re: question for George and others
Mike H Offline

Loc: Homer AK
Hi Scott - and thanks

On same topic - can you store those sequences as part of the song - so they come up when you cue them or play them direct from disc? - How many of those performance pads are there? and can each one have a different sequence?? BTW - I am really looking into the KN6500 as per your recommendations - I enjoyed your web site also - As I look into this more - I realize that jazz musicians who have scoffed at the canned sound of arrangers in the past - may in fact with a little diligence find a way to use these with great effect - probably with no where near the diligence it takes to use a synth or workstation at anywhere near their capacity. Thank you for continuing to communicate.

regards
Mike H

#210193 - 11/07/01 12:18 PM Re: question for George and others
Krix Offline

Loc: Linkoping, SWEDEN
My proposal:
By the most expensive kb you can afford.
Stop.

Krix, PSR2000 fan

PS I have just now no keyboard. DS

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online