SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#209904 - 07/10/06 04:59 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
regwebb Offline

Loc: Colchester Essex UK
Thanks very much Bill, I may give them a ring to see if I can get a hands on demo somewhere.

So, to Media Station users, is there a control surface that runs under Linux, or is there enough hardware functionality built into Media Station to avoid the touch screen without losing too much. There is a Linux screen reader, but I don't know how developed it is. So, for now, I'd be concentrating on hardware-based solutions for accessibility.

A couple of other points on this thread. Whereas the Stevie Wonders of this world may have armies of techs to do stuff for them, the rest of us don't and, besides, I'd rather be able to do stuff for myself where possible. I think Ray Charles used to do his own editting.

Lastly, I agree with Frank that the use of the word "latency" in this thread is somewhat confusing. As somewhat who bought an Audigy sound card when he shouldn't have, I know what latency as normally described is - delay between triggering a signal and hearing it. I think that "loading time" would be a better description for Spalding's insistence that this keyboard should do what no other computerised system apparently can, IE load massive sample libraries in no time at all. As someone else said, that's not going to happen without gigs of memory.

My accessibility concerns are not mere special pleading. You'll notice how many professional engineers use a control surface in the studio. Many of the touch screen and menu driven interfaces so loudly marketed by manufacturers are actually put in place because they're cheaper to manufacture, not because they're more convenient for you. Obviously, I prefer separate knobs and buttons for every function; but maybe some of you would too. Who remembers the little programmers that Roland used to sell with their synths? I loved those.

------------------
Reg
Skype name regwebb

#209905 - 07/11/06 02:12 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Hello Reg
Give a check if this Audio Desktop is the one that you are looking for. http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

Under Linux are available a lot of application for blind people.
Just let me know the right one that you like better and we can simple install in the mediastation.
Then, with 172 programmable buttons will really so easy for you use the mediastation.

Cheers

#209906 - 07/11/06 02:35 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
regwebb Offline

Thanks very much Dominic. Since I know as little about Linux as it's possible to know, I will take advice and try and learn something.

------------------
Reg
Skype name regwebb

#209907 - 07/11/06 03:48 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
Magica Alfa Offline

OS LINUX is not so hard to learning. Is simple for use and interface is also for blind people excellent. I want to program some parts and base knowledge of C++ is good for start. A lot of a applications are made for free. That is also good.

Best regards.

#209908 - 07/11/06 06:51 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
For general use, (Not special needs) why do you need to learn about a computer and its operating system, when all you want to do, is play and use an Arranger Keyboard?

Bill

#209909 - 07/11/06 07:33 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
regwebb Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
[B]Hello Reg
Give a check if this Audio Desktop is the one that you are looking for. http://emacspeak.sourceforge.net/

With apologies for taking this off topic for this forum, but I don't seem to be able to mail you directly from here. It looks as though Emacspeak may be designed for specific applications. A more general Linux screen reader seems to be Speakup from: http://www.linux-speakup.org/speakup.html
although I have know idea how well it would work; it refers to the distributions of Linux under which it will run, but I don't know if this is in line with the version of the OS which you use.

I take Bill's point about learning a whole computer system for the sake of getting into this, but I'm used to learning curves for the sake of access, and if it got me stability and upgradability, I'd go for it. Right now, ignorance is my main problem, but I like the sound of those "programmable buttons".

Thanks to all for your help

------------------
Reg
Skype name regwebb

#209910 - 07/11/06 07:43 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
Magica Alfa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by abacus:
For general use, (Not special needs) why do you need to learn about a computer and its operating system, when all you want to do, is play and use an Arranger Keyboard?

Bill

It is not necessary. On start is keyboard working as standard arranger. But if you want something more you can simply add things as load a program. Also you can add

Best regards.

#209911 - 07/11/06 09:04 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Hello Reg

Speakups is compatible with the Mediastation OS, we use Debian Linux and there give ready the package to install.
We have only to recompile the kernel for this new tool.
My developer will try to install it and in some weeks the new ISO will include this application.
I will test it and add some more feature, like when you will press one LED button, the Speakups will tell you what you have pressed.
In this way I think we will cover the FTF display and all the 172 LED buttons.

#209912 - 07/11/06 09:38 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
regwebb Offline

Thank you very much for this positive response. Do I have your permission to send a copy of your message to the midi-mag mail list, which, in spite of its name, is a general computer-based recording list for blind enthusiasts?

------------------
Reg
Skype name regwebb

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online