SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#209884 - 07/01/06 04:41 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
As with all computers, one way to tackle the latency issue is to cache the information in memory. This way the computer just switches memory locations rather than load the samples from the hard disk. Domenick, how much user memory does the MS accept? If you chip up the MS to 2 gig of memory, would that help the latency issue since most of your samples would reside in memory instead of on the Hard disk?

Thanks

------------------
Al Giordano
www.al-giordano.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#209885 - 07/01/06 05:24 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONSTRACS:
I just made the Video styles that you had request: http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/video/2006/styleslatency.wmv

Let me know if is accetable the latency now.

I'm honest and I dont have nothing to hide in my OS, but of course we can make always better.

Domenico......Gracia.....your starting to open peoples eyes to the future of arranger KB's!!!

#209886 - 07/01/06 05:36 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Another great video Dom!

Spalding,
I just wanted to say something about the latency issue you mentioned. If my memory serves me correctly I'm fairly certain I have read a few things about the Korg Oays having a slight latency issue too.

Keep in mind this is a board using Linux for the operating system. Teh $8,000 Korg apparently has a very light latency too.

When you start applications on your computer do they just pop right open (especially when moving from one application to the next). You have to consider (as mentioned by another member)--limitation of current technology.

As far as Dom marketing his board here and in the arranger world...., well why not? Isn't the Mediastation also an arranger? This is an arranger forum, and the Mediastation has preset styles that use auto accomp. So I think he's in the right place.

Yeah it took Korg several years to get their Oasys out--however, look where Dom is with the Mediastation. Can it be improved upon..., absolutely--but so can every other keyboard on the market.

I like Doms approach. In today's market a keyboard like the Mediastaion seems to make so much more sense. Where we are now "technology wise" a person shouldn't have to always upgrade to a whole new keyboard.

Yamaha and others hold back on specific features because they know they can't give you all the things you ask for... If they did you wouldn't buy the new and improved Tyros 3.

With the Mediastation you keep that board, and just make upgrades to it, and you don't have to shell out $3,000 or more like you do with other companies for the new model.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#209887 - 07/01/06 05:40 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Another great video Dom!

I like Doms approach. In today's market a keyboard like the Mediastaion seems to make so much more sense. Where we are now "technology wise" a person shouldn't have to always upgrade to a whole new keyboard.

Yamaha and others hold back on specific features because they know they can't give you all the things you ask for... If they did you wouldn't buy the new and improved Tyros 3.

With the Mediastation you keep that board, and just make upgrades to it, and you don't have to shell out $3,000 or more like you do with other companies for the new model.

Squeak

Very Good valid points for sure!!

#209888 - 07/01/06 05:46 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
to the genesys Offline

Finally good videos!
What I like about the mediastation is unlike other closed keyboard systems like Tyros 2, Genesys, G-70, PA1x and the like, the mediastation will never be a complete product.

It is constantly being improved upon, keeping the user up to date with the latest computing technology. The mediastation can always give the user what they demand in the form of a software upgrade.

I think most people realized that playing a mediastation can not and should not be the same concept as playing a closed keyboard system.

The mediastation is on the cutting edge of music computer technology. But everyone realize that computers and music is not a perfect thing as yet. However, there are lots of persons that gig with laptops on stage giving them the great sounds of VSTs and giga files. Even though the laptop system may not be 100% perfect they still gig with it for several reasons. They love the high-quality sounds they can get and thus can sound more expressive. They are not tyed down to one set of sounds; they can always buy just what they want. And they realize that it is an investment that would allow them to keep up with the latest technology and not have to buy and learn a whole new keyboard every 2 years.

The big advantage of the mediastation is that it puts together both music and computing technology in a single box. It allows the user to incorporate VST and other sample sounds in to their styles and songs. It is always upgradeable so that even though it may be limited by computing technology today, it should be able to accommodate new technology and features as the computer side of things evolve.

The mediastation can do everything the closed keyboard systems can do and much more and is never ending in terms of features and software upgrading.

Just ask people who use one now.

P.S playing VSTs and giga files is only one aspect to the mediastation remember you can do a lot with wave files and styles and midi. You can also record audio and it has a full midi/audio sequencer.

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 07-01-2006).]

#209889 - 07/01/06 05:57 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

I just want to clarify that when people talk about latency it is usually taken to mean the time it takes from the moment you hit the key to the time it takes to hear the sound.

On the other hand the time it takes to start a new application or program is usually referred to loading time or something like that.

As far as I am concerned you can setup so called performances on a software based system where there is minimal latency 10ms or less and no loading times. I have explained this in some of my past discussions on this subject. I have absolutely no trouble using my system for live performances. If you setup performances (preload the required instruments) and fully load the auto accompaniment you should have no problems of any kind.....and you will have the best sounds available anywhere....bar none. From what I see the mediastation should have no trouble doing the same thing....it is a computer in a keyboard.

The main deficiency in my system is the user interface and even this one can get used to. Mediastation would solve this problem. It should do very well as an arranger keyboard (including live performances) with the best sounds available.

I am for anything that provides options for those in the music business. Domenik is doing just that and we should be grateful for that. Should he succeed then he deserves to become a rich person. I for one wish him the best.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 07-01-2006).]

#209890 - 07/01/06 07:36 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
Dom this is the last post that i wil make because we are going round and round in circles. The unique selling point that the MS has over the likes of the T2 PA1X etc is the fact that you can use the best samples and sounds from external manufacturers on the MS as an arranger right ? So demos of switching styles using gm sounds means nothing to me. You said in your latest video that you used some giga sounds in the styles.Can you tell us what giga sounds were used in the styles you played and which sounds they were playing ie bass, drums, horns etc? were they in your opinion the best giga sounds you could find or were they simply the best that would actually play without latency problems on your MS. Be absolutely clear on this. Is it possible to do the same with VST sounds yes or no ? I could not tell from the recording whether giga or gm sounds were being used, thats not your fault, just the recording. The gm sounds dont matter so much as i dont ever use them but maybe other musicians here do but they would hardly by a MS so that they could play GM sounds in their arrangements would they ?

For anyone else here that might think i am picking on dom. I am not. He is not an ordinary poster. He is here to promote and sell his merchandise. As a potential customer i have a right to press him hard on issues important to me as i dont have acces to demo an MS. If you are happy with the answers you have had great, i am sure Dom is ready and willing to take your orders and i would be happy for Dom to inform me of how many purchases he has had from this board. It would certainly make me feel more confident about a potential purchase myself. But i dont think many people are confident enough to do that just yet. and if anyone here has the courage to purchase an MS as an arranger then please let me know as i will be asking Dom for my commision for making him market the instrument the way he has in this thread !!!!If i am wrong then will the silent owners of he MS please spaek up and tell us what experience you have had using VST, giga etc sounds WITHIN THE STYLES IN LIVE PERFORMANCES. I am not intersted in a studio workstation. For that i would by a controller keyboard for a few hundred pounds and a computer not an MS or PA1X or tyros2,3,or 4 !

I hope i have not been rude to anyone or to Dom and if i have i apologise.

Cheers

Worth

#209891 - 07/01/06 07:44 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
Squeek d. the korg oasys is not an arranger keyboard and would never be marketed as such. It is fo the most part a studio instrument where latency is simply not an issue. If it had arranger capabilities it too would struggle to meet the reqirements of any arranger layer musician if the best sounds were to be used within the styles. Unfortunately , if you sell anykeyboard on the back of its USP (unique selling proposition) to a market that requires features that he keyboard does not have , there will be a mismatch of expectations . Right now there are serious questons that still need to be answered by Dom before i believe his product will meet my expectations but feel free to sell what you have and purchase an MS and let us know how you get on with it.right now the MS's USP is wasted on me but might be great for others

#209892 - 07/01/06 09:01 AM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Spalding, dont worry, when I have time I'm here to try to explain you untill you have understand how is working the MS and the possibility that we have.

First, look again the styles video, because I had starting playing styles with GIGA drums and then I had swtich to GM/GS styles only and back again to GIGA style.
The 3 GIGA drums was developed from Groovepark germany and the files are about 20Mb each.
For loading this GIGA files the Linuxsampler need about half second and when is in PC chace I can switch the styles without latency.

So, the concept of the MS arranger work in this way:
1) we must have all the 16 midifiles patterns in one folder, the folder name will be the style name. http://www.lionstracs.com/site/images/style/stylefolder.png
IF there give the all wave, the arranger will play the midi+audio in sync.

2) After i have all the midifile, I touch the function key EDIT: http://www.lionstracs.com/data/gui/styleedit.png
3) there I can have up to 12 Sounds setup for EACH style. In each soundpreset I can edit the sounds of each midi channels available: http://www.lionstracs.com/data/gui/channels.png
4) Then for each channel I can setup the sounds that I like, here about the GM: http://www.lionstracs.com/data/gui/chaedit.png
and here about the GIGA: http://www.lionstracs.com/data/gui/gigapara.PNG
5) and the result you can see in the main EDIT interface.

So..now about your VST question, YES is possible routing the styles to the VST plugins too. http://www.lionstracs.com/data/gui/styleedit.png
each preset will recall the right program change of the desidered destination.

If you look again the Video about the VST connection, I can open the Kontakt and connecting where i like.
the arranger have the MIDI OUTS and I connect it to the kontakt and then I can use the kontakt only OR a mix of other device. http://www.lionstracs.com/data/gui/jackmidi.png
when is connected ONE time ( you can also make a Jack presets) you dont have to touch there nothing, all is connected and you will play the MS normally.

Other MS possibility:
we know that with VST we can have latency for loading the samples, BUT who told us to use the only VST or GIGA??

IF someone like the Roland sounds only, they can buy one external Rack expander, like the Fantom XR, OR Ketron SD2, AKAI sampler...what better you like, you will have the totally FREEDOM.

Chose one external module, connect the MS midi OUT to the module IN and the Audio OUTS of the module in the MS LINE IN L+R.
Now this soundmodule is INTEGRATED in the MS system.
You routing the arranger midi out to the soundmodule and RE EDIT one of the 12 style sound preset with the right prg, Var of your desidered module.
Or still you can connect the MS keyboard to the module and play his sounds ONLY.

IF the yamaha will make one Tyros 2 sound module, the MS can have the totally SAME sounds integrated.

Today is saturday and I dont have fun to make a new video.
Monday i wil make one video and shown you there how I can edit the sounds styles, with GM and Giga.
Ciao

#209893 - 07/02/06 10:37 PM Re: Lionstracs Video of System booting and VST's
Magica Alfa Offline

LIONSTRACAS MEDIASTATION X76 is working in ARRANGER MODE also with VST.

I try that with HYPERCANVES and it is working perfectly.
I can control all sounds, faders, sys ex, pan, eq, reverb, delay . . .
I change between styles and here is no waiting time because of good connection between MS and HYPERCANVES.

Sounds are changing automatically.

Please, would you be so kind and download from

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=B21112D672EE303B

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=E82F710B34A56ABA

That is also possible with NI KONTAKT 2 and all other VST’s who are working as sound modules.

Best regards.

Zmago

[This message has been edited by Magica Alfa (edited 07-03-2006).]

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online