SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#209571 - 12/03/03 07:02 PM Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I received a call from an agent a couple days ago, one that I hadn't hear from in four years. I didn't think she even knew I was still alive. She asked if I was interested in a regular gig at an Italian restaurant in Baltimore's Little Italy, to which I replied "OK, when?" It's a Sunday and Monday night job from 6 to 10, which works out just fine for my other scheduled jobs during the day. Ironically, the place has a concert grand piano, and when I told the owner I don't play a piano, he said that's fine because he was looking for a keyboard player that knew a lot of the older standards, Sinatra, Martin, etc.

Anyway, tomorrow's the big day for the audition, and beleive it or not, after all these years, I'm a bit nervous about it. When you're accustomed to just walking in, setting up in front of a crowd and jumping right into the thick of things, and you've been doing this for years, it doesn't bother you at all. This time, however, I'm just playing for the owner, a couple waiters and waitresses and the few customers that will still be there at 2:30 in the afternoon. Scary!

Here's where I'll be setting up. The keyboard will have to either go on top of the piano, or squeezed into the corner behind the piano. It's gonna' be tight.

It's gonna'a be a fun time in Charm City tomorrow (I hope),

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#209572 - 12/03/03 07:17 PM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
Dnj Offline

Good Luck Gary....

Awesome looking Piano bar..If I'm not mistaken Uncle Dave is doing a similar PIano Bar gig [same setup] here in NJ using his Arranger KB too.
I know you do great there.....

PS.. Bring a Big Fi$h Bowl..

#209573 - 12/03/03 07:44 PM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
Benno Kattenat Offline

Loc: qualicum beachBC Canada
GOOD LUCK T.EASY ,IKNOW YOUR GOING TO BE OK, BEST REGARDS, BENNO

#209574 - 12/03/03 08:03 PM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
trtjazz Offline

Gary,
Break a leg.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#209575 - 12/03/03 08:16 PM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA

#209576 - 12/03/03 08:34 PM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Gary...
Very classy looking place. I see a speaker up on the wall. Maybe you won't have to take anything but your KB. Sunday/Monday jobs are icing on the cake. Best of luck.
Eddie

#209577 - 12/03/03 09:43 PM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
That's great Gary. I know you'll do well.
I'm jealous.
DonM

#209578 - 12/03/03 11:14 PM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Gary, considering you say you don't play the acoustic piano, I still strongly recommend that you set your arranger on TOP of the piano and perform standing up. I definitely DON'T recommend you even consider squeezing yourself behind the piano.

From my years of experience of playing & having worked many similar long standing acoustic piano bar venues, I can tell you that playing the piano and primiarily utilizing the arranger keyboard (placed on top of the piano) for auto accompaniment backup and playing bass lines, will yield FAR more tips than playing the arranger kb alone. For whatever reason, when patrons see an acoustic piano, they expect a keyboard musician to play it (well), and will subsequently tip a lot more for that pleasure as well.

That being said, you must 'at least' perform from the playing position of the acoustic piano in order to provide your audience seated around you on the bar stools full attention both while performing and during the obligatory stage patter of humor & charm, and wit that I'm sure you will be sharing with your audience. This ensures that tips continuously fly into the big fancy crystal tip jar you have positioned within easy aim on top of the piano (directly under the spotlight of course).

This venue looks to be a great opportunity for you to expand your following and clientle, and potentially land those even higher paying private party & special function gigs. Gary, wishing you the best of luck on the audition. Just Go have fun and that itself will land you the gig. - Scott

#209579 - 12/04/03 02:25 AM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Gary,

It's great to hear your nervous, because that's what will give you the edge and allow you to do fine in your audition!! A little fear helps keep your edge.

I agree with Scott, on using the Piano, but I think sitting is fine. Even if you are not a Piano purist, I think you can find a way to incorporate the Grand Piano into some of your songs. Be Brave, you'll do just fine. Here is where all our experience pays off!!!

Regards and good luck
Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#209580 - 12/04/03 06:11 AM Re: Auditioning for another gig tomorrow...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks guys and gals for the confidence builders and kudos. And thanks to Mike for making me really look good in that cut & past job behind the piano. I headed out now and will keep everyone posted as to whether or not I get the job.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online