SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#209387 - 10/26/00 03:57 AM Arpeggiators
Clif Anderson Offline

While I am not very skilled at playing keyboards, I do finger my chords, including inversions. So what do I need chord recognition for? Why not just an arpeggiator (or 16 synchroed arpeggiators as in the Emu XL-1))? Of course, I would loose access to the thousands of styles on the web, but, in principle, what would the difference be?

Trying to answer my own question. I guess the arps would be limited to drum type sounds and notes that I have fingered. A style can include notes and controller messages that are not in the fingering. What else?

I have noted that some machines have both chord recognition and arps. The Casio MZ-2000 and the Roland EH101 (or something like that) come to mind.

Another question. What arrangers have velocity sensitive styles. I do not think my PSR8000 has it, but I seem to recall my older GEM arranger had it. What about the Solton X1?

#209388 - 10/26/00 02:31 PM Re: Arpeggiators
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
Hello Cliff,

The Em2000 has DSP which will affect the style in terms of which instruments play and how loud according to how hard or soft you play the upper split.

I have to say that this is really wierd when you first start to use it but can be really effective when you get it right. Gives much more variation to the style and tends to make them less repetitive / mechanical. Mind you that's just my opinion after using the keyboard for about a month. Other owners may hate it.

Tony

#209389 - 10/26/00 02:35 PM Re: Arpeggiators
Tony W Offline

Loc: Lancaster UK
BTW appologies for the second f I only noticed afterward you are Clif and not Cliff. Eeek at me. Will go now and study two whole chapters of a Roland Manual as punishment...(and beleive me it is)

Tony

#209390 - 10/26/00 06:30 PM Re: Arpeggiators
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks, Tony

Your answer was certainly unanticipated. I expected velocity on the left-hand side of the split to affect the style, not the right-hand side.

Clif(ton)

#209391 - 10/26/00 08:21 PM Re: Arpeggiators
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Clif,

in the Roland EM2000/G1000/G800, the Dynamic Arranger fucntion indeed affects the style. Like Tony said, depending on the velocity of the left hand, the 8 accompaniment parts will play at different loudness (or drop off compeletely). Once you learn how to use it, it does add quite a bit of variety to the accompaniment sound.

Regards,
Alex

#209392 - 10/26/00 09:54 PM Re: Arpeggiators
Clif Anderson Offline

Thanks, Alex

Well the dynamic arranger feature is something I will keep in mind for my next arranger. Style fatigue is becoming a problem for me. Maybe this feature will help. I hope it is being continued in the VA series.

Clif

#209393 - 10/27/00 09:28 AM Re: Arpeggiators
TomTomSF Offline

Loc: Half Moon Bay, CA, USA
Yes, the Dynamic Accomp on the EM2000 is a very interesting feature. You can go into the menu and adjust exactly what the volume parts will be for different left hand velocities. You can even have some accomp instruments turn off totally at low velocity and others turn on, and then set them to opposite values for high velocity. That way, only a few instruments play, but it makes the style sound very different. I must admit, even though I always leave the feature turned on, I don't "twaek" it much. I do wish my other keyboards had this feature. It adds realism. I've heard the Technics KN3000 had it, but they dropped it on the KN5000. I think they put it back in on the KN6000.
Tom

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online