SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#209147 - 07/05/01 10:02 PM Re: 9000 notes......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I found a cool way to use an external mixer with the PSR9k today. I like to run a Mini Disk and my vocalist thru the speakers, so I have been sending the stereo OUTs of my TOA rackmount mixer INTO the stereo INputs on the back of the Yamaha. That works just fine, but then you need to send the line outs of the Yamaha to an external PA, and the controls may not be near you on stage.

Here's the cool thing:

The 9k has a LOOP in/out feature that disconnects the speakers from the soundsource. I took the loop OUT and sent it into the mixer INput channel. Another ch has the vocalist, another has the MD. Now.... I route the mixer OUTs right back into the Yamaha loop INputs. This gives me a volume & tone control on the mixer that works the kb signal by itself. I can use the sum out to feed a PA, while using the record outs to feed the Yamaha inputs. This gives me more control (right at my fingertips) and still lets me monitor everything from the speakers. This is why Yamaha is so good. They think of almost every situation. Too bad they never thought of a R.H.chordal mode for the harmonizer, but at least I have another option.

Tonight I used the mic input as a guitar amp - it was wonderful! So, except for the weight, and the extra rack bag - this set up is giving me everything I need to sound my best. Now I just need to address the weight issue. Things are looking good for my summer gigs - it'll be a breeze to set this up at all my venues (35-40 every month) 6 times a week, there will be a PA at the gig, so I'll just have to bring the KB and the rack bag. Guitar is optional - mostly for the shore gigs.

Hope this option comes in handy for some of you with 9000s ! It's a GREAT idea!

#209148 - 07/09/01 06:51 PM Re: 9000 notes......
Stevizard Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN, USA
Dave,

Looks like you got it all figured out. The only thing that's left to do is begin developing more upper body strength. Then, lugging around the PSR9000 won't be a problem. I've found that laying on my back on the piano bench and doing 20-30 repetitions of the keyboard press helps a lot. I don't know that pressing my keyboard has may me any stronger but after lifting it 20-30 times I don't care whether I drop it or not. Hope this helps.

Steve

#209149 - 07/09/01 08:54 PM Re: 9000 notes......
ChicoBrasil Offline

Loc: Belo Horizonte,Minas Gerais,Br...
Great idea Uncle Dave.
Now I made a "Testdrive" with 9000s loop:
1-Peavey XM12 powered mixer.
2-AKG mic.
3-02 JBL Tr 105 speakers.
Result:excellent!!!

MBR,ChicoBrasil

#209150 - 07/09/01 10:22 PM Re: 9000 notes......
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Here's another cool thing I just realized!
When you use the "loop out" & "loop in" method with a mixer, you can turn the keyboard speaker volume ALL the way off while you set the house levels and tone controls. Then, you can turn up the "monitor" as loud as you need it to be, WITHOUT affecting the mix in the house. This is BRILLIANT, folks. This really opens up a new world of precise monitoring from the keyboard location, without sacrificing anything from the house mix. And the beauty of it is that you only need ONE mixer, as long as it has more than one set of outputs! My gig at the shore has me using a house PA, and it's working out so nice. All the controls are at my fingertips, and the monitor volume does NOT affect the house volume. Very nice, indeed.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online