SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#208687 - 05/23/06 08:08 AM Re: How I use an arranger
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
I have an old Suzanne Summers "ThighMaster" that I will give you. You could probaly rig it up to multitask.......... do your practicing and exercising at the same time.

Jerry

#208688 - 05/23/06 08:15 AM Re: How I use an arranger
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Jerry,

It was Eddie's idea I think he should do the beta testing first.

Tom

Tom

#208689 - 05/23/06 09:01 AM Re: How I use an arranger
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I don't believe Suzanne would care for the word "old" in front of her name.

And if the "ThighMaster" is really HERS...why isn't it called "ThighMistress"?

As far as beta testing my idea...it won't work for me because I play standing up. It would just look like I have to go to the mens room..really bad.

Eddie

#208690 - 05/23/06 10:10 AM Re: How I use an arranger
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Maybe they have a wedgy switch..for those that prefer to stand..

#208691 - 05/23/06 10:18 AM Re: How I use an arranger
Fran Carango Offline

When I use my outboard harmonizer with my Roland G...while playing over sequences, and utilizing the harmonizer[vocoder mode]..I select multiple channels on my midi transmit from the G1000[assign several channels to a single channel] to the harmonizer...This allows me to use different vocoder voicing instead of being locked to a single channel..
I have come up with some very good results..The G allows me to save 8 different set ups that I can change at the touch of a button...even while the SMF is playing..

As an example one of my midi settings may use the track on channels 3, 5 and 16..another setting may be all the channels except 10[drums]..another may be just 4[for a pitch corrected melody voice..
Some of my setting I change the octave of the transmitted data, this allows a male/ female/ or mix of my harmonizer..again I am designing what I want to hear..

I also use a similar concept when I play in arranger mode..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 05-23-2006).]

#208692 - 05/25/06 04:31 PM Re: How I use an arranger
Fran Carango Offline

Another hint...[observation]..

When using a busy intro as with a big band style...at the end of the intro, continue your playing like a lion, not a lamb..

Many songs posted here, have such a let down after the intro....in yells out "canned" ..Use a nice full sound [brass, organ etc]..play big fat chords and ease into a lighter melody if that is where you want to be..
Same with the busy ending..let your playing build up going into the ending..It will be a more natural feel going into the ending..

Try this with your tunes and it will soon become second nature..

Come on people..what happened to the excitement of this topic?

I want to learn...too.

#208693 - 05/25/06 06:10 PM Re: How I use an arranger
Vadim Offline

kinda hard to think how to correctly answere...
well, most of the time (at home)i use it to sequencing (Roland VA76), sometimes I even take styles, thanks to Rolan's Cool thing where you can mix 2 styles together, and record, than and stuff and delete stuff...
when I play live there are tons of stuff to tell, and i dont have time to type it all, cuz i'll be typing one thing than forget what i wanted to say next. okay, If its a song that was planned (not decided on the fly) than there whould be a style playing with some instruments in the style changed when needed, Upper 1 and 2 with assigned tones, sometimes manual bass, sometimes lower parts, sometimes i assign so funky set-up i dont know how to say it, i even had manual drum ready, cuz i had to do some fill-ins(Yamaha is great that they made Pads, but they are not pads, just buttons). most of the time i setup is set-up 10 minutes before a performance because people wanna sing a song and i have to find a syle just in time... also Roland G-1000's Drum variations is what i often find very helpfull. So usualy during performance i switch between upper 1 and 2, turn off a track(like drum track).
But most of the time i use my keyboard for sequencing, and also my uncle just bought a korg trinity, even though trinity is like 10 years old the sounds are better if you take all Roland's arrangers yamaha's psr's... and the sequencer is Much better, you dont have to wait for "Working..." to finish, after you recorded a track... thats a little off the subject...

#208694 - 05/25/06 06:36 PM Re: How I use an arranger
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
1) I rarely ever utilize arranger style intros/endings, unless I'm 'actually playing' the lead intro/ending instrument part LIVE.

2) I always assign a footpedal to 'fill self' to take advantage of spontaneously triggered drum fills at various points in the song.

3) I play in split mode (fingered mode), with LEFT VOICE typically assigned to 'acoustic piano' and always turned on (heard) playing left hand chords, while my right hand (assigned to piano), in a vocal comping situation, provides additional 2-hand type chord enhancement (stacked 4ths, etc) or when playing instrumentals, use the rh to provide melody + fills. Another thing I often do is play melodic fills with the 'left hand', because on Tyros2, you're able to play one (or 2) note melodies in the left hand (LEFT part) without affecting the currently active chord recognition.

Scott

#208695 - 05/25/06 08:05 PM Re: How I use an arranger
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Like Scott, I most often play in Fingered Mode. However, there are some songs that really demand Fingered On Bass mode to sound authentic. "When A Man Loves A Woman" comes to mind. With out that bass walk down it just isn't the same.
Eddie

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online