SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#208529 - 05/29/02 01:35 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Dude,

I just purchased XG Works 3.0 from Zzounds and then returned here to find your post about the next version of XG Works due for release very soon. Oh well.

I assume (from reading the XG Works 3.07 updater description at: http://www.yamaha.co.uk/xg/html/midplug/m_mid10.htm )

that I really only need to install the 3.07 updater patch, and do NOT need to install the earlier 3.05e patch first. Does this make sense?

The 3.07 updater patch description says:
"XGWorks V3.07 XP patch (Zip 9.84MB).
OS Windows XP Professional and XPHome.
This file is for XG-Works Version 3.0-3.0x users."

- Scott

#208530 - 05/30/02 05:09 AM Re: XGWorks ?
DMC Offline

Loc: NY City
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
.....Does this make sense?....- Scott

Dont know about that....I will say that the 3.05e update is something that you want. It improves the midi timing and added alot of really nice drag-N-drop capabilities and is very stable. You can just drag any change into a sequence anywhere you want it... it can't get any easier.....

Happy XGing,
DudeManCentral

#208531 - 05/30/02 10:29 AM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

DudeMan:

I assume from what you are saying that I MUST install BOTH patches (3.05e & 3.07) to gain both the features of 3.05e (improved midi timing, drag drop support, added stability, etc) and 3.07 (XP compatibility). I had previously thought that 3.07 would have incorporated all the updates in 3.05e as well. I guess I'll plan to install BOTH 3.05e and 3.07, after installing the 3.0 box version purchased from ZZounds. I just hope 3.0 & 3.05e will install ok on my XP computer, as supposedly XG Works is not compabitble with XP until the 3.07 update patch is installed.

Who here is running XG Works on Windows XP?

Thanks,

Scott

#208532 - 05/30/02 12:56 PM Re: XGWorks ?
DMC Offline

Quote:
.....I assume from what you are saying that I MUST install BOTH patches (3.05e & 3.07) to gain both the features of 3.05e .........

IM SAYING THAT I DONT KNOW IF YOU DO

Quote:
......I just hope 3.0 & 3.05e will install ok on my XP computer, as supposedly XG Works is not compabitble with XP until the 3.07 update patch is installed....

HMMM, I BET IT WONT

good luck,
DMC

#208533 - 07/15/02 07:28 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I just ordered XG Works 3 from Zzounds today myself. I live in Japan and only the Japanese language version is available domestically.

What I wanted to add to this thread was that someone had mentioned that a new version of XG Works was coming out soon. I don't doubt that this is true but I DO know that XG Works 4.0 was just released in Japan and that that version will never be released in the US. I had a look at it and it doesn't seem very different from Version 3 at all.

I inquired to the Yamaha XP online shop in the UK about it and received this response in regards to Version 4:

>I am sorry, but XGworks 4.0 was released >for the Japanese market only and will not >be released in any other language.

>Best regards

>Marco Paris
>www.yamahamusicsoft.com
>www.digitalmusicworld.com

So what someone in here said about the new version being called 5 is probably right on target. But since everything that is eventually released overseas by Yamaha is initially released domestically and Version 4 JUST came out I am dubious that Version 5 will be out in an English version anytime soon.

I've used the XG Works 3 demo and I love the program so I'm really looking forward to my full version. I use it with a an MU-100 tone generator.

Cheers,

Grizzly

#208534 - 07/16/02 07:49 AM Re: XGWorks ?
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Yamaha has discontinued XGWorks completely, and any remaining copies that are on shelves will be the last according to Yamaha Support. Yamaha is throwing it's support behind Cakewalk Sonar and has already released O.P.T. (free plug-in voice editing) panels for their Motifs and Sonar 2.0.

#208535 - 07/16/02 02:53 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not to be argumentative but again, Yamaha may have discontinued all international sales of XGWorks English Version but they are still producing XGWorks Japanese version (Currently at Version 4) and have a huge market for it over here in Japan. The Japanese version comes in a big heavy box with (I assume) a fully bound manual so I was dissappointed to hear about the PDF manual in the English Version box. But then again XGWorks 4.0 Japanese retails for about $300.00 over here. Then again Cakewalk Sonar is almost 3 times as much.

I just got confirmation on the shipping of my copy of XG Works 3 from Zzounds so I'm satisfied. :-D

Cheers,

Grizzly

#208536 - 07/16/02 03:20 PM Re: XGWorks ?
Scottyee Offline

I am an owner of BOTH Cakewalk Sonar & XGWorks 3.0.The BIG advantage of using XGWorks 3.0 over Cakewalk Sonar, when editing midi files created on a Yamaha PSR keyboard, is that XGWorks recognizes all 'Yamaha specific' system exclusive FF type 'meta' events. This meta event data includes Yamaha XF events which are used to store 'lyric' data as well as the auto accomp 'chord' data. When a midi file containing this data is loaded into Cakewalk Sonar (or any 'other' sequencing software program for that matter), the auto accomp 'chord' data & lyric data is NOT recognized (by Sonar) and thus not loaded into the program. Therefore, when you attempt to save the midi file (in Sonar), all 'chord' and 'lyric' data is completely lost.

Scott

#208537 - 07/16/02 09:01 PM Re: XGWorks ?
JonPro Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
I am an owner of XGWorks Vs.3. My information (from Yam. Support) was that version 4 would not be released outside of Japan, BUuuuuuuT, Vs.5 (a cleaned up version 4 for the english lang.)was being completed by Yam. UK.

Jon.

#208538 - 07/17/02 10:14 AM Re: XGWorks ?
DMC Offline

Yes, that is correct except from what Ive heard, they are no longer calling it XGworks 5. Also, they were going to release it outside of Japan first.
Keep an eye out for it at summer namm...... As someone else has pointed out, yamaha has released the new opt stand-alone editor(which is really nice) for the Motif. Yamaha is also working on XGEdit in the opt format. This will be great for Sonar users as it will work just like any other plugin (with out having to use third party software such as hubis or others).

DudeManCentral

Quote:
Originally posted by JonPro:
I am an owner of XGWorks Vs.3. My information (from Yam. Support) was that version 4 would not be released outside of Japan, BUuuuuuuT, Vs.5 (a cleaned up version 4 for the english lang.)was being completed by Yam. UK.

Jon.

[This message has been edited by DMC (edited 07-17-2002).]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online