SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#208496 - 07/24/03 11:08 PM Motif ES Video.. To take your mind off the Pa1X debacle :)
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Here is the Video from NAMM. The commentator's name is Athan Billias and he gives a good detailed description of the new Motif ES. Worth a look. NOTE: To view this video you will need the Real Player One installed on your computer or a compatible player that can play the Real Media "rm" video file format. This link will automatically start the Video transfer. Again, you will need a multimedia player that recognizes and plays the ".rm" video file format, preferably the Real One Player.

Here is the link: http://trio.harmony-central.com/ramgen/SNAMM03/Yamaha-MOTIFES.rm

Of course everyone knows that the Motif ES is NOT an Arranger but it incorporates some Arranger type features, eg., it recognizes Chord Changes within the Arpeggiator albeit only in the "Root" Position of a chord. I know, bummer, huh. Maybe Yamaha will get on the stick and fix that shortcoming so it recognizes Inversion Chords as well before production starts to ramp up. For those that like to supplement their Arrangers with non-Arranger gear the Motif ES promises to be a big contender for your gear dollars. If you haven't heard the demos of the Motif ES then please do so here: http://www.motifator.com/listen/es/es_listen.php

PS: I am trying to cheer people up by providing some positive, encouraging info on a soon to be imo "Monster Keyboard". The Korg Pa1X/Pro debacle really has let the wind out of many of our sails, "mine in particular".--- Only 62 Note Polyphony on an Arranger that will cost you upwards of 4 Grand after taxes, a carrying case, a CD Burner (Optional Only) and any other accessory you may need for it.--- There apparently will be NO 61 Key Version/w internal speakers made available in the US Market; "only in Europe and Asia". So hopefully the Motif ES will cheer you up a bit if you like and need an excellent non-Arranger Keyboard in your repertoire of Keyboard gear.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-24-2003).]

#208497 - 07/25/03 07:57 AM Re: Motif ES Video.. To take your mind off the Pa1X debacle :)
trtjazz Offline

VERY VERY cool.....and I also thought Athan was just another pretty face....he can play too.

The ability to actually be able to play the megas and use them with the arps too is outstanding.

If they had only spent a few more bucks with all that real estate on top and doubled or tripled the screen size I would have been happier.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 07-25-2003).]

#208498 - 07/25/03 08:17 AM Re: Motif ES Video.. To take your mind off the Pa1X debacle :)
Clif Anderson Offline

In looking at the ES as a quasi arranger, don't forget the Motif (ES or classic keyboard, but not the rack) can take a vocal harmony board.

#208499 - 07/25/03 08:27 AM Re: Motif ES Video.. To take your mind off the Pa1X debacle :)
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Actually it seems like the Motif ES is doing more playing than Alan is in many cases. All those arps makes it look like the Motif ES is designed especially for people who want to hold down chords and let the keyboard do the walking. But I'm not being critical - in fact, looking at my own long-term needs I am probably in the market for a Motif ES 8 myself for my studio. I need something to compliment my 9000 Pro, which looks like it'll continue to be my main stage keyboard for the foreseeable future, and do the commercial music bed stuff I need - much of which seems to be celtic-atmospheric-techno non-music these days which I can see those arps doing very well. Plus, thanks to my experiments with the 9000 Pro, I have a small collection of the PLG expansion cards for the Motif ES anyway so I'm in bed with the new Motif by a couple of steps as it is. And the Motif has existing OPT voice editors for Sonar that I could use, plus it has control-surface features that my softsynths could use. It also has a good user-base to compare notes with that includes Yamaha engineers (motifator.com), and if I ever need to "dress to kill" on stage the Motif ES and the 9000 Pro together along with my Motion Sound KP-200s amp would do it.

It's funny because I wouldn't consider the original Motif for the same reasons I don't like the PA1-X Pro: limited polyphony. So my polyphony-prejudice isn't just just aimed at Korg (and I don't like Tritons for the same reason). It takes a lot to impress me enough to spend upwards of three grand on a keyboard and the Motif ES impresses me more every day.

#208500 - 07/25/03 08:41 AM Re: Motif ES Video.. To take your mind off the Pa1X debacle :)
trtjazz Offline

I did think the parts where Athan (not Alan) was playing along with either solo or holding was pretty cool. I was very impressed with the acoustic guitar stuff myself....I want one of these toys, now it's just a matter of a 7 or 8 and laying hands on one to try before I buy.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#208501 - 07/25/03 01:46 PM Re: Motif ES Video.. To take your mind off the Pa1X debacle :)
Clif Anderson Offline

"All those arps makes it look like the Motif ES is designed especially for people who want to hold down chords and let the keyboard do the walking."

Deja Vu for Karma users. Stephen Kay, the inventor of the Karma architecture, designed for himself. Although an excellent keyboard player, there were things he wanted to do but could not--like play convincing harp glissandos. The result is a pattern generation system that allows real-time continuous control over patterns, something that few arranger keyboards provide. I think of the Motif as a step in the Karma direction, providing skilled musicians a way to do things they could not do otherwise and offering them a level of control not normally available. The fact that these keyboards also allow novices to sound ok is just a side benefit.

In the Motif ES video, I though the use of the velocity slider to control megavoices in an arpeggio showed that the Motif ES aspires to be much more than a conventional arranger.

#208502 - 08/26/03 07:30 AM Re: Motif ES Video.. To take your mind off the Pa1X debacle :)
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Word from Yamaha is that the Motif ES 6,7,8 will be appearing in stores on the 'West' coast in the 1st or 2nd week of September. The 'East' coast should be receiving them in the 3rd or 4th week of September. All in all the Motif ES should be an interesting Keyboard even for your typical Arranger Keyboardist because the Motif ES has a few Arranger keyboard type features. This Keyboard will probably be very appealing to those that are in a Band and don't use Arranger accompaniment in that setting. Plus some Arranger Keyboardist's use an Arranger 'plus' a non-Arranger in their repertoire during Gigs. The exceptionally good sounds on the Motif ES would come in very handy for some of the sounds on an Arranger that might be lacking or non-existent.

Kudos! to Yamaha for actually delivering a major Keyboard product ahead of schedule to the retail market. Something they were unable to do with the PSR 2000/2100 and Tyros. But maybe I should reserve my adulation until I actually see the Mo' ES with my eyes and play it in person and if Yammie is correct I should be doing that 'within' 3 weeks of today.

And although the LCD screen size on the Mo' ES is the same as the original Motif I had a look at the Motif's screen again recently and even though the screen size is 'small' the actual "Text" 'characters' within the screen are fairly large and pretty easy on the eyes. Of course more real estate is better and 'desirable' but at least the viewable area it has is useable in that the text characters, etc., are at least readable. I still think Yamaha goofed when they kept the same size LCD for the Mo' ES. Something I hope they don't repeat with the next generation Mo'. That's one of the reasons why the Korg Triton, Triton Pro, and Triton Studio's fly off the shelves is because of their "large" LCD screens. Oh well, I'll stop ranting.

Best regards,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online