SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208435 - 05/24/05 02:17 PM As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hello

I see that Korg now has better chord recognition. Things are moving forward. Maybe even Uncle Dave will get his dream kb with everything he would like some day soon. Or, is that stretching it a little? haha

It's great that more and more the companies really are listening to what we want.

So, I'll take the time to reiterate my wants. I am pretty happy with Yamaha right now because my basic needs are being satisfied right now.

While I hope for all you guys that want a 76 key version that it comes out for you, I want 61 notes with the soft "organ" touch rather than weighted keys with a piano action feel.

Smaller and lighter. The Tyros, while I love it, is tooooo big! A lot bigger than I believe it needs to be. Lots of wasted space. Please, keyboard companies, don't make it big just to try and seperate the look of a pro kb and a Kmart keyboard and/or to make it an excuse to charge more for it. I would very much rather have a kb the size of a PSR2000/3000 or smaller. Which is why I am considering going that way at present.

The big size requires a large, bulky and clumsy case.

For Korg, I am waiting until they come out with a PA50 version of the PA80, in the PA1X form. Smaller, lighter, cheaper. For me personally, all I'm really interested in is the live play arranger stuff. Maybe make the other things add on options.

A Tyros or PA1X or whatever brand module may be a very good possibility. Then it would be small, light, be able to choose 61 or 76 note boards.

While one could use any kb as the controller, what about an option of a 61 and 76, maybe even an 88 key midi keyboard controller actually designed for a specific brand module. One that is actually made by the company that produces the module.

The 7 pound module could somehow fit onto a 7 pound keyboard controller,maybe like how the tilt screen is on the Tyros. It could have a special lightweight stand that it could be attached to so the kb and the module and stand are all solid and don't bounce around. It could also have a mic boom attachment. The stand could even have some way of securing the pedals one might want to use so they are right where you want them all the time.

How about for those that do want an onboard speaker effect, have a couple small speakers that could easily and quickly be mounted and plugged in? How about an option to leave them plugged in and attached while moving if desired? I think it's safe to say, that for those that do want speakers, that a good majority only want 2 speakers, and not have to use a sub, unless desired. If so, then how about keeping that an option? So, a 2 or 3 piece optional speaker system.

Then, a lightweight, good looking, non-scatchable music rack. One that fits securely, is quick and easy to mount. Unlike the Tyros, joke they called a music rack.

Maybe even a choice of a few cases that don't cost a ton of money. A case, that the designers actually try and fit into a car like their cutomers may buy. Again, unlike what Yamaha did. How do people get that thing into anything other than a truck with the Yamaha brand case???

It also need to have a very quick and easy set-up and break-down time. All things to be considered as important.

Anyway, a few more ideas.

Oh, and if a module is produced. It has to be as easy to see and navigate as a good kb like the PSR3000, Tyros.

I hope they are listening. I think they could sell a bunch more keyboards.

Best

Scott Langholff
http://www.ScottLMusic.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 05-24-2005).]

#208436 - 05/24/05 06:10 PM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Hi Scott,

You won't believe this but - after personally moving around a Hammond B-3, Leslie 127, Rhodes and various other sundry keyboards for over 20 years, I sure don't think Tyros is to big or clunky. I do however fully expect in the next generation of Professional Arranger the following -

Much better and realistic drums than mine is capable of. They are definitely canned sounding and get old fast.

A real working harmonizer.

Much better method of setting up a user default bootup in lieu of a registration.

A much more sophisticated on board sequencer with professional editting/syncing capability.

Digital outs plus more audio outs which are balanced. 12 pin Leslie out for assigned organ voices

On board sound sample library storage/playback. Perhaps around 100 gbyte of user storage would work.

Real keys - IE: real sized and really stable and capable of the abuse that old rockers like myself puts them thru in live performance. Right now we get the same keys as the Kmart special and it Pi** me off to have paid $3000 for something like that.

Either the ability to edit everything function from the computer or the ability to plug in a computer keyboard.

This in no wise encompasses my entire wishlist - just a few off the top of my head.

Regards,

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 05-24-2005).]

#208437 - 05/24/05 07:08 PM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Danny, the SD1 has most of the features you mentioned. No digital outs, but the harmonizer is very good, the keys full-size and sturdy,
the drums very realistic, the power-on setup works great.
DonM

#208438 - 05/24/05 10:27 PM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I feel Yamaha is listening to our requests [more like plea(ssseee!!] I think they're trying to give us what we want to an extent. Although of course we want it yesterday and all at once. But I've noticed a definite willingness on Yamaha's part, over the past couple years especially, to introduce new features, etc. that customers have requested. I think they have a great support staff in Steve Deming and others that I feel truly want to help out whenever and wherever possible.

It may not be as fast as we want or as much as we want but there have been improvements and a willingness to reach out to their customers. And in doing so they are undoubtedly reaching a sizable 'potential' customer database. By competitive prices, a good support staff, willingness to incorporate new features and ideas into their products, and their ability to 'listen' to what their customers and potential customers want in a Keyboard - Arranger or otherwise - they are on the cutting edge in my opinion.

But of course there is ALWAYS room for improvement. When a Company [any Company for that matter] puts its customers second or third or fourth, etc. on its list of priorities, then eventually; and possibly immediately that Company will begin to lose market share and with it the revenue that goes along with it. When the customer/consumer is not their TOP priority in any and every facet of their business dealings, then its all down hill from there.

As the saying goes: "It is better to give than to receive". Because when you give you will be blessed. And in giving you WILL receive.

Enough sermonizing for now...

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 05-24-2005).]

#208439 - 05/25/05 04:32 AM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by pianodano:

Either the ability to edit everything function from the computer or the ability to plug in a computer keyboard.

This in no wise encompasses my entire wishlist - just a few off the top of my head.

Regards,

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 05-24-2005).]

I would definitely second the motion to have the ability to perform editing functions of the keyboard on the computer.

You should be able to connect the keyboard and computer (perhaps using USB) and be able to move files back and forth, load save and organize sounds, styles and songs on the keyboard from the computer.

I also really hope that Yamaha would make a module version of the Tyros 2 since they are in the perfect position to do so.

They don’t have a 76 or 88 key version of the Tyros (and it doesn’t seem as if they will have one for the Tyros 2). There is a considerable amount of interest in 76 key arrangers or a customizable one. If Yamaha has a Tyros 2 module, they don’t have to worry about key feel size and weight of the keyboard (with a module that would be left up to the consumer).

+ a module would only help to increase your market share because people who may already have a main (flagship) arranger may not want to spend all their money on another main arranger again as yet. However, they may be more willing to buy a Tyros 2 arranger module if not for anything for different sounds and styles.

If you are worried about pass sales of arranger modules, don’t. That was in the pass. That was when arrangers had an even less professional perception.
Today now that arrangers are being used more and more professionally and slowly becoming recognized as a serious performance and production tool, a good module would probably do well especially coming from a big and reputable company like Yamaha. More and more, people are looking for light-weight solutions for gigging but not having to compromise much on key feel and sound and style quality.

You can do it Yamaha!!

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 05-25-2005).]

#208440 - 05/25/05 05:01 AM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
pianodano Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
Danny, the SD1 has most of the features you mentioned. No digital outs, but the harmonizer is very good, the keys full-size and sturdy,
the drums very realistic, the power-on setup works great.
DonM

Don,

Thanks. I will investigate it further. I just know that with the technology that is available today, we should be getting much better results and flexiblity from our hardware instruments. Everything that has been said makes sense and I believe that Yamamha can do better. I am sure it would not be cheap or inexpensive, but that's ok. Most every band musican I know does not consider Tyros are "real" keyboard yet we know full well it is.

Regards,

Danny

#208441 - 05/25/05 05:39 AM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
I think that not only Yamaha could make it better. There are so many good old names on market which are lacking in one or more things. Remember Kurzweil! Their sound technology is amazing but 128MB sample RAM and 48 polyphony IS NOT the hit for a machine like that.

You can use 16 midi channels! So, you'll have 3 voices of polyphony for each channel on average. Every sound can have three layers (and more is possible). So, can play only one note per channel on average.

I wish they would build...
...an endless polyphony.
...standard sampler on-board (with 256 MB base memory).
...up to 1 GB sample RAM (SD-RAM technology would be sufficient but DDR-RAM would be better).
...standard four times effect board (24 bit DSP is still fine).
...the ability to re-sample itself (from analog out to analog in).
...highest quality AD/DA converters (16 bit is sufficient).
...internal (E)IDE controller with ATA(1)33.
...in/external SCSI controller UDMA80(160) up to 250GB HDDs.
...SCSI I, II + III compatibility (three separate external connectors).
...end price under 5,000 $US as a rack unit.

Comm'on Kurzweil, give us the dream board!!!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#208442 - 05/25/05 08:30 AM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
pianodano Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
I would definitely second the motion to have the ability to perform editing functions of the keyboard on the computer.

You should be able to connect the keyboard and computer (perhaps using USB) and be able to move files back and forth, load save and organize sounds, styles and songs on the keyboard from the computer.

I also really hope that Yamaha would make a module version of the Tyros 2 since they are in the perfect position to do so.

They don’t have a 76 or 88 key version of the Tyros (and it doesn’t seem as if they will have one for the Tyros 2). There is a considerable amount of interest in 76 key arrangers or a customizable one. If Yamaha has a Tyros 2 module, they don’t have to worry about key feel size and weight of the keyboard (with a module that would be left up to the consumer).

+ a module would only help to increase your market share because people who may already have a main (flagship) arranger may not want to spend all their money on another main arranger again as yet. However, they may be more willing to buy a Tyros 2 arranger module if not for anything for different sounds and styles.

If you are worried about pass sales of arranger modules, don’t. That was in the pass. That was when arrangers had an even less professional perception.
Today now that arrangers are being used more and more professionally and slowly becoming recognized as a serious performance and production tool, a good module would probably do well especially coming from a big and reputable company like Yamaha. More and more, people are looking for light-weight solutions for gigging but not having to compromise much on key feel and sound and style quality.

You can do it Yamaha!!

[This message has been edited by to the genesys (edited 05-25-2005).]

With all the assignable buttons, knobs and sliders on my Maudio pro keys 88 - a module would work too.

Danny

#208443 - 05/25/05 09:37 AM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
Dnj Offline

MUCH SMALLER, & LIGHTER, I repeat MUCH SMALLER W/H/D, & LIGHTER WEIGHT, w/quality speakers.

Sequencer TOTALY SEPERATE independent operating system from the Arranger mode.

TWO MIC INPUTS

AUX OUTS/IN with plenty of GAIN!!!!!!!!

ONE STEP ON BOARD BUTTON CONTROL on all features.

READABLE SCREEN FOR OUTDOOR JOBS...

more to come..

#208444 - 05/25/05 05:04 PM Re: As long as it appears the arranger keyboard companies are listening:
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hey Donny

Are you suggesting the sequencer is a separate module? .

Best

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 05-25-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online