SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208359 - 12/28/02 11:31 AM In Ear Monitors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just wanted to share with you that I finally purchased In Ear Monitors for monitoring my live performances. I didn't want to spend too much money in a professional wireless system, so I decided to buy a Sennheiser IE-3 model in a german online shop. This is exactly the same product sold by Future Sonics under the name "Future Sonics Ears" (same exact specifications). The best news are that the "Sennheiser price" (90 Euros) is less than half the Future Sonics online price ($198).

Althought I still didn't use it live, I'm quite happy with the sound, significantly better than the walkman cheap headphones, specially the bass response. A proper adjustment to each ear (I found it easy) is critical to achieve a good bass response, but once it's in the right place the sound is great. Only thing I didn't like: why do these guys make the cables so short?!

-- José.

#208360 - 12/29/02 06:03 PM Re: In Ear Monitors
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
Our band uses wireless in-ear monitors and we can each individually adjust the monitor mix as we want it. Works great for us. Our sound-man, Dave rigged up a system (wired) so we don't have to burn through 9 volt batteries during rehearsals. Again, works great for us. The only thing I really iss is the "push" (if that best describes it) from front end wedgies.

#208361 - 12/29/02 11:56 PM Re: In Ear Monitors
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
José, Leon, and all,

Are the Sennheiser IE-3 ear buds comfortable to wear? How do they compare with the more expensive custom fitted ear buds? Do they completely seal you off from the audience, or can you still communicate with and hear them (audience requests, etc)?

In addition to the Sennheiser IE-3, don't you also need to purchase an IEM transmitter & reciever unit as well?
http://www.musiciansbuy.com/sennheiser_300iem.htm

What equipment is actually needed (including total cost) for a COMPLETE pro sounding 'in your ear' monitoring system?

Thanks,

Scott

#208362 - 01/02/03 05:02 PM Re: In Ear Monitors
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott,

Sorry for the time I took to respond.

I did not have the opportunity to compare the Sennheiser IE-3 with other much more expensive custom fitted ear buds. I auditioned these ear buds (with a friend that owns such a system) and decided that they are sufficiently good for my demands. The price was also a good surprise.

The IE-3 has a similar appearance than that of a normal cheap set of walkman buds, but the quality of the sound is far superior, specially in the low frequencies. Of course, Scott, you can always purchase a complete wireless system as the one you mention in your message, but the transmitter/receiver doesn't add any quality to the sound, which is basicaly determined by the buds themselves. A proper adjustment to the ear is very important to achieve a good punchy sound. I found the ear buds very comfortable and they don't fall down easily once properly adjusted.

Two more points. A "complete pro sounding" doesn't have to include the transmitter/receiver that is responsible for a big part of the wireless system price. If you are a musician moving and jumping on stage, going wireless is mandatory, but an entertainer sitting behind his keyboard doesn't need the complete system (in my opinion). Another thing is how you control volume level. In a wireless system, a level control is certainly included. A wired system like my Sennheiser IE-3 doesn't have such a control, so I have to set a proper level in the mixer (headphones output). I never felt uncomfortable with loud levels.

To be honest, the ear buds properly adjusted impose a HIGH degree of isolation from the audiences, so for frequent communication I wouldn't recommend them. But there are ways to overcome this. You can point a mic to the audience and mix the captured sound with your live sound so that you receive feedback from the public. In my personal case, I found that during certain parts of a live act, these monitors inspire my performance.

-- José.

#208363 - 01/03/03 08:58 AM Re: In Ear Monitors
Leon Offline

Our's are custom made, individually moulded.
As you wear them, they warm up and soften during the evening. We got our's done by a professional Audiologist.
Good Luck.

#208364 - 01/03/03 08:59 AM Re: In Ear Monitors
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Mine too. I go to the international hardware King, Wally Mart.
DonM

#208365 - 01/03/03 11:16 AM Re: In Ear Monitors
Leon Offline

Don, you should give some serious thought to having some custom made...couldn't tell if you were joking or not about Wally-Mart!!!..
Interesting sensation when he pumps that cold gook into your ear.
I tried the foam inserts (little donuts).
Just didn't give us the clarity we wanted.
The fitted in ears are great, and relatively unnoticable.

#208366 - 01/03/03 11:30 AM Re: In Ear Monitors
Anonymous
Unregistered

The Sennheiser IE-3 works with the foam inserts. While pretty comfortable, they certainly don't provide the same quality/clarity as much more expensive systems. But the price difference is HUGE and I'm a poor man!

Seriously, Don, the sound improvement is considerable, even with my relatively cheap system!

-- José.

#208367 - 01/03/03 01:37 PM Re: In Ear Monitors
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I WAS joking, but normally I don't use monitors on one-night jobs. I set up between the speakers and angle the left one toward the right and right one toward the left (reminds me of a Kingston Trio song).
I like hearing the mains if I don't have to be too loud. Also use the onboard speakers to monitor sometimes.
When I had X1 and G800 I did use the earbud types sometimes. They worked fine, but I'm certain they don't sound as good as the high-priced ones.
DonM

#208368 - 01/03/03 10:32 PM Re: In Ear Monitors
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
José. Thanks for providing more details re: the Sennheiser IE-3 ear buds. Wow, I didn't realize that there are no other parts required, and that the $139.95 (US dollars from Musician's Buy) IE-3 ear buds alone is ALL I need to purchase.

Even though taking around Tyros satellite speakers & sub woofer along to gigs isn't really not that much of a hassle, your ear bud option certainly would make it a lot easier and convenient. My only reservation at this time is the sealed off isolation it poses, especially because (for me), relating/communicationg with the audience is as important as my performance.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online