SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#208226 - 09/12/05 02:47 PM G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
coca Offline

Hi,

Sorry about the double post...

I used to own the Yamaha Tyros and now Korg PA1x. However I have an opportunity to trade my PA1X for the Roland G70. I would like to get some opinion about the Roland G70. How does it compare to Yamaha Tyros and Korg PA1X in term of Styles, sounds and functions?

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

coca
kpnws@yahoo.com

#208227 - 09/12/05 03:54 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
Roel Offline

Coca,
Use the search option and you'll find lots of opinions/views.
I'm impressed by the Tyros1 compared to the PA1X(pro) and G70.

The Tyros2 impresses the most of all and can''t wait to get mine.

#208228 - 09/12/05 04:02 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Coca, important 1st questions to help determine what kb is best for you are:

1) What was the reason you moved from Tyros to Korg PA1x?

2) If unhappy with the Tyros, cite specific things about it that you didn't like.

3) What are the things you liked about the PA1X over the Tyros, and vice versa?

4) What arranger keyboard features, sounds, and styles are most IMPORTANT to YOU?

Scott

#208229 - 09/12/05 05:35 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
Diki Online   content

Loc: NW Florida
My recommendation would be 'play the bloody thing and make up your own mind'.

Seems like there are an awful lot of people on this forum who buy a keyboard only to discover they don't like it. Shouldn't you wait until you are SURE that it does what you need? What you need may not be what I need and my recommendation isn't going to help you.

Prioritize your needs - clarify what you disliked in previous keyboards - remember your favorite feature - try to go straight from auditioning one keyboard to the next contender (memory has a way of playing tricks on you) - try to listen to the keyboards under similar playback conditions (if necessary bring your own reference headphones).

Buy in haste, repent at leisure!

#208230 - 09/13/05 07:08 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
rumbero Offline

Loc: france
Hello everybody
Excuse for my english (I'm french)
OK Diki, in the absolute, you're right, but all the informations the users of the diverse keyboards can give are very precious! First of all, I don't know in the States or in anothers countries, but in France, it's very difficult to find a store in which you can try a keyboard at your guise; we are in a typical (political) selling system in which you buy first, and try after...
Secondly,you often need a period of several months for practising your keyboard in order to perceive what you like or dislike.
Personnally, I am in a similar position than Coca except I don't own the top arrangers : I just own the Korg PA60 which, at the beginning,amazed me for its sounds and above all its styles, but, in the long run,I noticed mainly (among other problems)that the styles are too overcharged : result, I spend (too much) time to try to "clean" these styles. So, I'm looking for one superior arranger and, indeed, I hesitate between the PA1x pro (but I fear to find the same "limits" which are on my PA60) and the future TYROS 2.
Consequently, I'm very curious of the personal experiences and opinions of the users about their keyboard.
By the way, Coca, it will be very interesting you answer to Scottyee's questions.

#208231 - 09/13/05 10:14 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
coca Offline

Dear Rumbero, Scottyee and the rest of the members:

Sorry I didn't reply to the post right away. I was on a business trip for the last couples’s days.

The reason I was switch from the Tyros to PA1x mainly of the voice sound. I feel that Tyros sound is a bit thin. PA1x had many incredible voice sounds. Piano, Guitar, Pad, and other voice sound are very good. Sax sound is excellent but I have to admit Ketron have the best Sax sound period. However, I miss my Tyros very much. I feel Tyros is offer more functions than PA1x. It is easy to use and most important is the style. Yamaha style is more suitable for my application. Don’t take me wrong, PA1x has good style too but again…it doesn’t fit my type of music.

Over the weekend, I have a chance to listen to the G70. The style is good especially the Latin stuff. Voice sound is OK.

Sincerely,

Coca

#208232 - 09/14/05 09:43 AM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
rumbero Offline

Loc: france
All your informations, indeed, are very instructive for me. I learnt in this forum very interesting things like : TYROS has rathermore specific "studio" sounds & styles whereas PA1X has "band live" sounds and styles what gives to the PA1X a more "explosive " dimension than the TYROS. In France, people say that TYROS sounds like supermarket music ! In fact, now, I would be more suspicious behind a keyboard which offers demonstrative styles because they are very difficult to use because of their overloaded melodic elements. Of course, I say that in function of my personal context of use : I'm just seeking an arranger to record backing tracks (with the greatest quality as possible) in my home studio; so, it 's totally different from a live performer use : maybe, in this context, the more the music is demonstrative, the best is.
As regards ergonomy and very useful functions, it seems that Yam and Roland are in front of Korg.
Coca, I would like to ask you some questions :
From your opinion, are the styles in PA1X sufficiently fine and cleared in comparison with TYROS ?
If you seem to be attentioned to Latin styles (like me), have you heard about the KORG Latin Card Extension for the PA1X : the EXB02 card ?
And finally, why don't you wait after the public release of the new TYROS 2 which seems to have particular interesting caracteristics ?
Thanks for your answer.

{I would like to confirm again the great interest that such a forum represents for me because of the diverse precise and pondered informations from the members.I could say it's the best forum i have ever seen in the net}.

[This message has been edited by rumbero (edited 09-14-2005).]

[This message has been edited by rumbero (edited 09-14-2005).]

#208233 - 09/14/05 10:31 AM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
coca Offline

Hi Rumbero,

The Latin style in the PA1x is very good. I heard about the Korg Latin new expansion card but I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars more for this card. I think it should be free in the OS upgrade because we spend too much for our kb already.
I can't wait until the Tyros II come out.
For live use, I prefer to Tyros. The touch screen on the PA1x is nice but it is a bit slow for live use. I am not a professional player. I only jam with my friend when we get together in the weekend. From time to time, I like to change keyboard to get a new excitement. That's not a good reason because I spent too much money every time I switch keyboard.

Here is my dream keyboard:

1. Live Drum and Bass Kits like the Ketron.
2. Easy to use and function like the Tyros or PSR-3000.
3. Voice sound of the Korg PA1X.
4. Look cool like the Tyros.
5. MP3, Wave, Midi and DJ loop function like the MidJay.

Am I dreaming?

Coca

#208234 - 09/14/05 10:54 AM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by coca:
Hi Rumbero,

Here is my dream keyboard:

1. Live Drum and Bass Kits like the Ketron.
2. Easy to use and function like the Tyros or PSR-3000.
3. Voice sound of the Korg PA1X.
4. Look cool like the Tyros.
5. MP3, Wave, Midi and DJ loop function like the MidJay.

Am I dreaming?

Coca

Hang on until OAS 7 comes out for the Wersi Ikarus.

Bill

[This message has been edited by abacus (edited 09-14-2005).]

#208235 - 09/14/05 02:35 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Abacus;

The wersi ikarus keyboard is a nice unit,with many unique features, but its price is very high and not in the same range as the keyborads being discussed here.

Regards;
BlkNotes

#208236 - 09/14/05 02:56 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
grenzhm Offline

Loc: Rheine, Germany
The G 70 is a very nice unit. The solo sounds are fuller and better than Tyros, better organs, accordions, the piano is superior, the drums are very powerful und even the guitars are nice.
It is very user friendly and does not take much time to work with. OS 2.0 starts in Oktober with many new feature (guitar editor, you can use SRX-Boards for the styles...).
One disadvantage (especially for European players) is the lack of styles. For this reason I work with the software "Style Works" and have converted many Tyros and Yamaha styles. Revoiced they sound very nice and some of them even more powerful as Tyros itself.
Try the G 70 by the weekend - but be shure that it has OS 1.10 and the updated styles.

#208237 - 09/14/05 03:42 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
Bubbi Offline

Loc: Keflavik, Iceland
If you did like Tyros then wait for Tyros2. Is is coming.

#208238 - 09/14/05 04:32 PM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
coca Offline

Grenzhm,

Can I have some of those Yamaha styles convert to G70? Thanks.

coca

#208239 - 09/15/05 02:22 AM Re: G70 vs. Korg PA1x vs. Tyros... Recommendation?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by BlkNotes:

Dear Abacus;

The wersi ikarus keyboard is a nice unit,with many unique features, but its price is very high and not in the same range as the keyborads being discussed here.

Regards;
BlkNotes

Hello BlkNotes
I agree the Ikarus is more expensive then the keyboards mentioned, but what I was trying to put over (Although looking back at my post, Not very clearly) was that OAS 7 should give Coca virtually all the requirements of his dream keyboard. (At a cost of course)
Regarding cost, the Ikarus while costing more in the Short term, becomes a lot cheaper in the long term, this is because being software based, an upgrade to a virtually new instrument, (Evan if some small hardware changes are required) costs on average £250, were as the money lost by having to trade in your old keyboard for a new one can cost over a £1000 or more, from this it can be seen that after 2 keyboard changes the Ikarus is now cheaper.
In the future however I will try and make my posts clearer.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online