SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#207485 - 11/15/05 11:04 PM Wharfedale Pro speakers
sunster Offline

Loc: Mumbai, INDIA
Hi Again,

Has any1 used the Wharfedale pro speakers, if so kindly comment.

Thanx
SUNNY

#207486 - 11/16/05 04:47 AM Re: Wharfedale Pro speakers
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Not personally used these but I'm sure I've seen positive responses here before. The UK Magazine "Music Mart" did a "review" some time back and gave them a thumbs-up in terms of good quality and performance at a very reasonable price.

I have inspected some of these in music stores and they seem pretty well made.

#207487 - 11/16/05 01:44 PM Re: Wharfedale Pro speakers
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Wharfedale is still around!!!!
I have a pair of stereo Wharfedale speakers that must be close to 40 years old. Still using them and they still work fine.
Starkeeper

#207488 - 11/16/05 02:04 PM Re: Wharfedale Pro speakers
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I am using a Wharfedale 200Watt powered cabinet for a keyboard amp with my band. It has been very reliable and has plenty of power to keep up with a live band. It has a 15" driver and a large horn for the high frequencies. I don't know if that is similar to the "Pro" speakers you are looking at. ( I am not near my own box so can't tell you which one it is but will check later tonight ). My only criticism of the box I am using is that the horn doesn't really reproduce high frequencies as well as I'd like. When I am playing on stage I am barely able to hear any hi freq reverb ambience on the piano from my Motif 6 which is very clear when I use it with headphones. But it really isn't that much of a problem but I thought I should mention it as the 15" speaker reproduces none of those frequencies and leave them to the horn.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 11-16-2005).]

#207489 - 11/16/05 04:01 PM Re: Wharfedale Pro speakers
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
I seriously considered getting Wharfedales a few years ago. They seemed like a big bang for the buck.

Not long ago the local dealer that sold them was closing them out because they were having quality control problems. I know the sales rep and he knew I was in the music industry for years, so he is very up front with me.

I also remember betweengigs Eddie Schumaker), I think it was, who ordered several speakers a couple of years ago and had to send each one back because there was something wrong with it.

I am not sure which series of Wharfedales these were. It almost seems to me they may have been made in China. Maybe this was their low end stuff.

Just wanted to give the input that I am aware of.

Best
Scott Langholff

#207490 - 11/17/05 01:04 AM Re: Wharfedale Pro speakers
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
OK I just arrived home and checked the model of my Wharfedale box. Guess what, it is a Wharfedale Pro cabinet. Apart from the horn being a bit light on high frequency content that I mentioned in my last posting I am still very happy with the overall sound of the box. Great value for the money. If I was was going to spend a little more I'd perhaps think about getting a biamped cabinet where I had a little more control over the high and low end response. But I still think the Wharfedale makes a great amp for the money. I got rid of a Roland KC-300 that didn't even compare to the Wharfedale at all and was a similar price.

#207491 - 11/17/05 02:45 AM Re: Wharfedale Pro speakers
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'm might be wrong but I don't think that the recent Wharfedale stuff is the same company that used to make HiFi speakers; this new lot have just bought the name.

Just like modern Triumph motorcycles, in fact.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online