SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#207352 - 02/21/07 10:45 PM Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
chony Offline

Loc: New York
After listening to the Korg PA1x drums and bass, I've concluded that they are way better than the T2's. (Don't call me biased - I've owned Yamahas for the past twenty years!)

Can anyone suggest - preferably from experience - very good and live sounding drum and bass VSTis (software instruments), that would blow away the T2 (and Korg for that matter)?

Preferably they shouldn't be too CPU intensive, because I would like to run drums, bass, and other solo instruments LIVE (for performances) out of a single apple G4 laptop.

Also, I don't want to have to tweak and tweak. I would like ready made drumkits and basses that sound great as is. I know that DFH (drumkit from hell) has like 20 snares. I don't need 20 snares - I need just 2 good ones. Does anyone have experience with DFH EZDrummer http://www.giardinelli.com/product/Toontrack-EZDrummer?sku=709987&src=AWFRWXX? I think this might meet my criteria...

Thank you, Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 02-21-2007).]

#207353 - 02/22/07 12:57 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK

#207354 - 02/22/07 01:04 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
If u adjust the eq setting....u can get the T2 drums to sound really good. Thats one hell of a keyboard u have there

#207355 - 02/22/07 05:27 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
RobertG Offline

Loc: Southeastern PA, USA
Rolandfan: I agree 100% with Chony. The drums and bass are the most disappointing aspect to me on my T2. It is a great keyboard but no amount of on-board EQ is going to fix the problem. The BIAB realdrums sounds better as do many of the sampled drums and basses out there. If you try to play a bass sound, outside of a style, on a T2 you will quickly notice the lack of quality choices. I have found the rythmns OK, although at times I found myself wanting for longer patterns so it didn't feel so repetitive. For me, I can make it work. But if I was doing music in a dance setting, I could see some limitations. I hope Chony can find some alternative that works for him and he can share. I think that integrated an external drum pattern with an arranger will be a very difficult task. For me, I am holding out hope for improved sounds/styles in a T3. But that will be a long wait.

#207356 - 02/22/07 05:56 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
rolandfan Offline

yes the tyros styles do sound repetitive. I guess it depends what kind of music u play.. For me i enjoyed it... The pa1x does not sound repetitive

#207357 - 02/22/07 05:57 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
rolandfan Offline

yes the tyros styles do sound repetitive. I guess it depends what kind of music u play.. For me i enjoyed it... The pa1x does not sound repetitive

#207358 - 02/22/07 05:58 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
rolandfan Offline

#207359 - 02/22/07 06:01 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
Dnj Offline

Can anyone show me where arranger styles Dont sound repetitive? love to hear that....
Sounds like a perfect case for SMF use.

#207360 - 02/22/07 06:30 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
This topic has got me curious about something regarding the T2's drums. I agree that typical Yamaha arranger drums leave a bit to be desired. This was even a complaint with the the T1.

Are the T2's drums velocity switched? Are there multiple layers on some of the keys? I ask this because this is what Roland does. The bongos on Roland's are a good example. They're velocity switched. Some have up to 3 samples on one key. Plus the snares are velocity switched too. I've listened to numerous online demos of the T2 from users and Yammies demos, but I can't hear any real di-hard velocity switching going on with the drums.

Also I think Roland's styles are much more expressive due to the dynamics within the drum track. They utilize the velocity switching, and the drums just sound more natural.

Does Yamaha also use "ghost" notes on the drums with the T2?
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#207361 - 02/22/07 07:27 AM Re: Looking for suggestions on Drum and Bass VSTis (software instruments) to replace T2's
jwyvern Offline

The drum sounds may be lacking on Ty2 but then so too are many of voices out of the box IMO, including the SA's when compared with their potential.
Fortunately they can be brought significantly more "up front", but you have to "get in there".
As far as drums are concerned use of a DSP MBAND COMP (compressor) has significantly more effect than EQ alone. Try putting a drum kit in R1, put in a suitable reverb in Mixing Console, then select a DSP for R1 and go to Dynamic Category, Type MBAND COMP. Choose suitable parameters - Hard or Attacky, Threshold 0, gain offsets around +10,6,14up.
Also look for the Effect Return level on that parameter page. You may want to turn it up from the 64 default.

Stand back!!! & try a few keys including snare.
Try with the DSP button on & off to compare.

To bring the percussion up in styles you'll have to put a compressor into DSP1 and turn up DSP settings from the usual zero defaults.

It may not be totally what you want but hope this helps.
John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online