SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#207265 - 08/10/03 11:30 AM Re: Korg Pa1XPro in all of its Glory..exterior, that is..
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by awarenessengine:
I guess the jist of it is if you have used or use a Triton or Karma and found them suitable, the same will be true of the Pa1.

That is not true. Someone playing Triton only plays with his own ten fingers, not having 8 polyphonic tracks following along. Even when one plays pre-programmed sequences, these can be optimized ahead of time to be right around the limit but not run out of polyphony. This is not the case at all with the arranger play - you have the "band" going, and at the same time you play however many solo notes, layering the sounds - this requires the polyphony of two Tritons.

Also, some people may disagree with me on this, but IMO Triton sound engine is geared to producing very synthy sounds - the ones which are not played with chords, and more often than not with only one hand (the left hand is on the joystick).

Hence, the polyphony may not be an issue for most Triton users. But in the arranger world most of us try to reproduce sounds of the acoustic instruments, and many of those are played with chords (in the case of a piano, with both hands).

I hope that resampling will help. However, if they could reproduce acoustic instruments well, I would think they'd simply provide better sample ROM, so that layering of samples would not be needed in the first place. This would in effect double the polyphony, and I, for one, could live with 62 voices of TRUE polyphony, and not be concerned about running out. But I doubt that it is possible.

I agree that we will only be able to pass the "final judgement" on this (or any other) instrument once we can get our hands on one and hear it play. However, being aware of possible problems can allow us to focus my evaluation on the potential problem areas. This will make a difference whether we buy a known quantity, or make a blind purchase and regret it later.

#207266 - 08/11/03 12:07 AM Re: Korg Pa1XPro in all of its Glory..exterior, that is..
RicFreak Offline

Loc: Italy
Don't want to disappoint potential buyers, but going out of polyphony isn't so difficult with Pa80, despite its 62 notes.

You can try it very simply: select first style of bank #3 (Groove bld), select variation #4, sts #3 (acoustic guitar) and play a chord with 5 notes: all will be right, you will hear anything.

Now add something with your right hand, maybe a chord with 4 notes, or a solo melody with the damper pedal pressed, or a very fast solo melody.

You'll notice that sometime the snare drum disappear (well, it happens on my Pa).

So, Pa1X has 62 notes like Pa80... but new RX technology (whatever it is) is able to "... use up to five oscillators per voice ... ".

So, do some mathematic by yourself ...

[This message has been edited by RicFreak (edited 08-11-2003).]

#207267 - 08/11/03 10:53 PM Re: Korg Pa1XPro in all of its Glory..exterior, that is..
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by RicFreak:
new RX technology is able to " use up to five oscillators per voice ".
So, do some mathematic by yourself ...

Leave the Math to the school teachers and use your EARS. Don't make a judgement on playability till you PLAY it. It might just work fine.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online