SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#206711 - 04/02/02 04:38 PM I have a NON - KB ,tech question
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Everyone,
Sorry to "take up space and time" with a non KB question, But I have a Yamaha DSP-A1 home amplifier and when it is cold, I get very little sound comming from the "Right Rear" and the "Left Rear" is louder than usual (settings are 5+db). When the unit is cold I have this problem , but if I leave the unit on for about an hour, then run a "test tone" it`s nominal. I have brought the unit in for service and the tech can`t reproduce the problem "every thing checks out fine" leaving the both of us puzzled any thoughts would be welcome, many thanks
jedi
ps: When cold in order to get equal "test-tone" I have to raise the right to about 8 or 9+db and lower the left to about 2or 3+ db

#206712 - 04/02/02 05:50 PM Re: I have a NON - KB ,tech question
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Jedi
Make sure you take all components in your system (speakers, cables & all) to the shop. I've seen poor solder joints give weird problems-(resistance of a poor joint can vary with temperature)-Also check your power line voltage. For example-if you have a regulated power supply-with a limited operating range-and your line voltage is close to one end of the power supply range-you could have a problem. It happened to me a while back-I had an 'over voltage' warning light come on a 6 channel PA amp. The power supply 'crowbared' and the amp quit working. I got it to operate by using a very long extension cord and had to plug in about 400 watts of floodlights to get an 8 volt 'drop' over the long extension cord. You could also have an integrated circuit that operates incorrectly when voltages/temperatures get to a certain level.
Consider sending your unit back to a 'factory' repair depot. Quite often, due to design and/or component selection, similar units could develop similar faults-and their Techs may be able to pinpoint the problem quite quickly.

#206713 - 04/03/02 07:19 PM Re: I have a NON - KB ,tech question
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi Gord,
Thanks for responding, I called the tech today after calling Yamaha. Yamaha did not understand the problem either, but gave me a toll free number that I could have my tech talk to there tech. My tech said "I`ve checked the unit out again and it working within specs" so I took it home and after about 2-1/2 hours hooked every thing back up and (knocking-on-wood) it works the way it should I for the life of me can not figure out what went wrong. I unplugged it from the wall when I first noticed the problem (left it unplugged for about an hour and that didn`t work so I sought help) It is very.... confussing, but at least now I have a working amp how long who knows Guess what after I hooked every thing back up I tried my DVD and that worked , but when I got to my Laser Disc player that mess-up and I got a service message on my TV "PO" what ever that means? Very strange how things happen and I`m still trying to evaluate a 2000 that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. Well you know what they say "It never rains , but it pours" I think in my case it`s raining "buckets" I have a CLD 99 (Pioneer-Elite) LD and a DV 09 (Elite) DVD at least Pioneer has good tech support , back in 97 I had the LD all rebuilt at Pioneer`s cost, it was about 6 mo. out of warranty and they still took care of me I don`t know whats going to happen this time or even if they still have parts? Anyway thanks for your advice, wish me luck- here I go again
jedi

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online