SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20647 - 08/29/99 05:07 PM Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
800dv Offline

Loc: atlanta, georgia, usa
I am an analogue purist , this whole site is filled with MIDI garbage . All the analogue modeling and sampling junk is ridiculous . CV and gate still to this day makes MIDI look and sound like the sloppy crap that it is . Nothing and I mean nothing gives you more control over sound and sequences than analogue synths and sequencers . MULTI TIMBRAL and MIDI is for the non creative push button types . Where are you MOOG , ARP , and everything analogue users . If you have questions , I have answers ( 17 years exp.) .

#20648 - 08/29/99 11:26 PM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
Anonymous
Unregistered

I agree. I love moogs. I wish i owned one! i cant find one ever when i have money and when i dont have money i see them ever where..

#20649 - 08/31/99 08:22 AM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
buinu Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
I cut my teeth on a mini back in the mid 70s so it's only natural that I prefer analogs, yet I find my digital synths indispensable. When Midi-CV came out I was quick to turn away and thought of it as a waste of money ...until I tried it. What I'm getting at is; Even if you don't use any of the digitals (VA or other) midi can be very useful and, in my opinion, does have a place along side analog gear, including modulars.

#20650 - 09/01/99 11:22 PM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
800dv Offline

Well Blindspot , I can certainly identify with you . I found a MULTIMOOG for $800 which is way tooooooo much but it was nice to see one . As far as CV to MIDI , I don't use it . I can't stand MIDI , or multi timbral and I can't stand multi function buttons and displays . MIDI is sloppy and out of time , I like my music to be like clock work . As far as digital synthesizers , I wouldn't mind having an old PPG . They have nobbs , not CRAPPY multi function windows .

#20651 - 09/02/99 12:38 AM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
buinu Offline

I'm not attempting to try to sell you on midi but there are a number of interfaces which completely do away with slop and timing problems.
From a programming perspective, the combination of a good interface and M/CV converter does wonders for recalling tricky VCLFO, etc., settings especially if you use those LFOs to trigger S/H or any other gate dependant module or device. Whether midi is useful or not, I suppose it all depends on your individual needs as well as your method of composing.

#20652 - 09/02/99 06:49 PM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
800dv Offline

My method of composing is step time entry and analogue sequencers . Analogue sequencers may only at best give you 16 steps but you have instant control over all parameters which is something MIDI can't provide . If you have to go to one program window , that's one toooo many .

#20653 - 09/25/99 11:22 PM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
Chris Attison Offline

Loc: Long Island, NY.
Midi is not crap! 800dv, maybe that is the way YOU like to work but not everyone shares
the same viewpoints. So what bands or artists
do you listen to? All of the current analog
buff bands and artists use Midi and sometimes digital synths and analog simulations. Technology is power, PERIOD!

[This message has been edited by Chris Attison (edited 09-26-1999).]

#20654 - 09/28/99 05:08 PM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
800dv Offline

Technology is power but not all advancements are as good as you or A LOT of people think . Why do you think analogue has made a come back ? It's because the digital synths were becoming more and more boring and program windows are a joke . For every person who likes MIDI , there are as many WHO DO NOT ! There are A LOT of people who do not like digital synths and who do not like MIDI because we feel that it WAS NOT the step in the wright direction . There would be no analogue synth revival if there were no intrest in it . I DO NOT like MIDI , I DO NOT like modern technology immitating the dark ages and I do not like multi-timbral or program windows and I am not in the minority because if I were , you would not hear of a ROLAND SYSTEM 700 going for $7500 . There are a lot of electronic musicians who DO NOT use MIDI , on KEYBOARD MAGAZINE in 1994 Vince Clarke was the spot light , he absolutely DOES NOT USE MIDI . I started this topic to talk to people who share the same intrest , not to have a war on is MIDI better . I SIMPLY DO NOT CARE ABOUT THOSE WHO USE MIDI , I do have some favorite bands who use it but I want to talk to those WHO DO NOT . I buy most of my instruments from a place called NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS MUSIC , he sells ANALOGUE ONLY . I meet a lot of people in there , Sherel Crow , REM , DAVE CURBOW , BRENNEN OBRIAN and they also DO NOT LIKE MIDI .

#20655 - 09/29/99 03:11 AM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
buinu Offline

Numerous Complaints is a great place but they deal more with Hammonds than anything. Yeah, they do take an occasional analog in on consignment. As a matter of fact, a couple of years ago I purchased a Matrix12 from Numerous Complaints; which may not be a digital synth but it is midi thru and thru. I also have seen midi'd Prophet 5s there and if memory serves correctly, even a Juno.
I'm not flaming anyone here (there are other sites for that) but please, don't forget age is relative and in some circles a person with 17 years of experience is considered a baby.

#20656 - 09/29/99 01:11 PM Re: Where are all the MOOG users, not MIDI crap
800dv Offline

Well I'm glad someone said that , now I don't feel so old . Richard at NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS is a good friend of mine , while I love analogue , I don't really get into the HAMMOND organs . They sound great but analogue synthesizers is as far back as I want to go . For any one who might be interested , he has a double manual SEQUENTIAL CIRCUITS PROPHET 10 for sale . I'm not really an SC fan but I know that there are people who love them , call him at 404-351-4422 .

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online