SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#206505 - 09/19/04 02:24 PM Ivan Irony
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
So get this - my son moves to MIAMI BEACH in the middle of hurricane season and escapes all danger and damage.
I live INLAND and WAY up north from hurricane territory and tonight, my restaurant was closed due to flooding from this Ivan deal! Unreal. All along the Delaware river, homes have been evacuated and it's due to rise more this evening.

This is an unwelcome way to get a night's vocal rest .... but I'll take it. Looks like a quiet night for me!

#206506 - 09/19/04 08:53 PM Re: Ivan Irony
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The Delaware river has crested as much as 11.5 feet above flood level here in Bucks County,Pa..The worst since 1955..and we didn't get that much rain[1 inch], but north of us ,in a large area got more than 5 inches...we are downstream and the river is raising havoc on the residents along the Delaware...My wife and I had dinner along the Delaware in Bristol tonight, and the streets were crowded with spectators...We watched the river climbing the banks and flooding the park and warf as we were eating...We finished dinner in time to get out of town..

Breakfast tomorrow won't be bad , Dave Donny and I will be inland [15 miles] at the Crackerbarrel..

#206507 - 09/20/04 09:24 AM Re: Ivan Irony
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'm about 30 minutes from Port Jervis New York and the Delaware river up here has crested at 6 feet above flood stage. 1000's of people have been evacuated and have lost almost everything. Boats, jet skiis, jeeps, and even a mobile home have been spotted floating down the DE towards Philly.

My rain guage here in Orange County New York reports 3.75 inches of rain for Friday into Saturday. 33 mph winds knocked out power for us for 13 hours forcing me to purchase a generator.

What the heck are we doing to our global climate?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#206508 - 09/20/04 09:36 AM Re: Ivan Irony
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
Probably nothing at all Al.. These changes have been happening over millennia, even before there were humans on the planet.Just another little blip most likely

Trevor

#206509 - 09/20/04 09:56 AM Re: Ivan Irony
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The north end of Port Deposit, Maryland, which is in the Susquehanna River's shores, is currently underwater and the river is not expected to crest here until about midnight. Flooding of this nature is constantly increasing throughout the world because we have stripped the mountains and hills of trees, bulldozed out forests to create housing developmens, shopping centers and industrial parks, paved over millions of square miles of porous surfaces that once absorbed water, then in their infinite wisdon, congress allowed the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to channelize streams so the water could run off even faster. This caused rivers to rapidly rise and produced incredible flooding throughout the nation. Now the same agency is trying to figure ways to restore those same streams and rivers to where they were 200 years ago before they screwed them up. This is not something that has been going on since time began--it has only been taking place on this scale for the past 200 to 300 years and will continue to get worse.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#206510 - 09/20/04 01:50 PM Re: Ivan Irony
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Run Bambi !
"MAN" is in the forest..........

#206511 - 09/20/04 05:06 PM Re: Ivan Irony
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I agree Gary. Hurricanes notwithstanding, we are seeing more and more violent thunderstorms, tornadoes, high winds, torrential rains in the past 10 years than in the previous 30.

Ozone depletion, reefs disappearing, oceans warming, north and south poles warming, more and more hydrocarbons, more and more air traffic cloud seeding doesn't sound like a blip to me?

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#206512 - 09/20/04 06:31 PM Re: Ivan Irony
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
3 hurricanes
mass destruction
flooding
mudslides
forest fires
yet the band plays on.
i missed only one night playing and this
is in florida. we were very,very lucky.
charley missed us by about an hour from a
direct hit.
francis the eye went right over tampa
ivan was first to be another direct hit early
forcasted and went by us by almost three hundred miles.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online