SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#206325 - 01/27/04 06:09 AM KORG instead of KETRON SD1
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
As promised to Tom (C)I would like to share with you the motives for ultimately falling back on Korg again instead of buying the Ketron SD1plus.
As some of you may know I have played the Korg PA80 for the last two years, be it only within the confines of my livingroom. Not a fact to be overlooked as performing live on stage does or may require different material and set-ups.
In the past I have always enjoyed playing Roland and Solton (now Ketron) keyboards for various reasons. To this day the old and trusted Roland E70 (with the marvellous acoustic piano) still sits in my livingroom.
The Solton MS range were also great keyboards, and made for a wonderful combination with my Roland. I got disenchanted with the later keyboards from both, notably the Ketron X1 and Roland EM2000.
So I turned to Korg PA80 and thought ,and still think,it to be a great keyboard. However after two years and with all the temptations ahead I thought it was time for a change, hence I sold it two months ago.
having read an heard about the substantial update of the KEtron SD1plus I thought I might once again return to Ketron, but boy was I wrong. Now I have my mind set on the new KOrg, no doubt, but I am waiting for the speaker version to hit the market. (soon)
So a comparison between Korg and the KEtron SD1plus would hark back to the korg PA-80, please observe !!!!

The Ketron SD1plus is known to be a performer's beastie, and I do not doubt that for a moment. With it 6 octave-board, harddisk,vocaliser, etc. it is pretty complete, and easily beats the PA-80.
It has no speakers, which to me is a drawback.
Soundwise I would like to say this:
In certain ereas it really shines, in particular brass and voices. Certainly in the latter it is superior to the korg pa-80
In many ways however I find it disappointing.'Why the very best sounds of the older MSseries (blowsax, musette, etc) have either been completely omitted, or have been added as an afterthought on the harddisk,to be reloaded on set-up all the time.
Acoustic piano, same story. A pretty good one, but not intergrated but to be loaded from harddisk.
Electric pianos with the exemption of the DX piano (already there on the MS series) are pretty boring to my ears.
Strings I do not like at all, they cannot hold a candle to the Korg here, no waY!!!!!
Same of course for real synth sounds, but that is to be expected.
On to the STYLES;
I had expected to be totally renovated and re-motivated with a whole new string of styles from a different machine at my disposal. I was not. Sure, there are quite a few good styles and quite versalite. It covers the whole spectre and I can quite imangine a stage entertainer to do his pick and get on with it. But I could find very little inspiration in them. I prefer the pa-80 styles and look forward to what the new KOrg has to offer.
Another very important thing regards styles is this: both Roland and Korg have got styles that run over more than 2 (musical)bars, whereas virtually all the SD1 styles run for one or two bars, hence become very repetitive. (to my ears, anyway). If there's anyone out there with a Roland G800 or later model, G and VA) I could send you some styles that actually run over 32 bars!!!) I think KORG is much more promising here as well.
Finally the lay-out and operating.
The SD1 was designed about 4 or 5 years ago
(it hit the streets in 2001). It clearly shows. The screen is small, there's no dial so everything has to be selected first and then altered with + and - keys. Strenuous, if like me, you do a lot of tweaking.
But like I said, I can well envisage (pro) entertainers to have a hell of a good time with this instrument on stage. Mind you the fact that back-up service etc. in the States is not that well spread it will stand out to lose I reckon in comparison to KOrg.
What I have heard from the new Korg so far, beats the korg PA-80, no doubt about it, let alone the Ketron SD1plus. The only bee in the bonnet that I harbour about the new KOrg is the fact that they have made them extravagantly expensive, in Europe that is.
Well there you have it Tom, my appraisal of the Ketron in comparison with the KOrg......

regards,
john

#206326 - 01/28/04 05:41 PM Re: KORG instead of KETRON SD1
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
John,

Thank you for your review. Brickboo has mentioned the 2 bar styles also with the Korg having longer ones. I listened to Notlos do his version of "Autumn Leaves" on the Sd-1 and I thought the piano was very good. Anyway thanks John.

Is that trip to Wisconsin ever going to happen?

Tom

Tom

#206327 - 01/29/04 12:30 AM Re: KORG instead of KETRON SD1
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Let there be no misunderstanding:
the piano on the SD1plus is quite good and even better is the brass section. I ain't knocking the SD1plus, like I said many stage performers here in Europe would not want to be without one. But I found it disappointing in the areas I described above. Possibly I had become too addicted to the Korg PA80, despite its shortcomings.
But then I have always maintained that an entertainer on stage should basically have two different keyboards of two different brands at his disposal. I reckon the two K's, ketron and korg, would be a match made in heaven. I do not consider the Tyros to be a stage performer but as you know I am biased there, I admit. Wonder if the Roland promise will be met, but for the time being the KORG PA1X is my safest bet !!

regards,
john

I'm afraid Wisconsin will have to do without me for some considerable time yet Tom. However feel free to come to the Old Country, you will be very welcome !!!!!!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online