SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206296 - 07/15/05 06:40 AM I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
Zleepy Offline

Loc: Finland
Yeah, I had a chance to try out properly Roland G70 with my PSR3k next to it. I really must say that I'm in love with Roland keys! Damn they were easy to get used to.

This is something I know practically nothing about, so:

I know it's possible to use some other keyboard to master another but what would be the cheapest way to get something even close to those Roland keys?

What should I be looking for?

My interest woke up in semiweighted keys, or whatever they are..

EDIT: Tried to fix some typos I know...

------------------
Tony

http://zleepy.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by Zleepy (edited 07-15-2005).]

#206297 - 07/15/05 06:56 AM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
There are several good midi controllers out there you could use with your PSR. I know there's one on the market that has really come down in price. It's an 88 key semi-weighted controller. I can't remember if it's Fatar or Studiologic. Roland has great action on their keyboards. I really miss the semi-weighted keys on my old Roland XP-60...

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 07-15-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#206298 - 07/15/05 08:28 AM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
I think Fatar and Studiologic are the same thing?

#206299 - 07/15/05 08:33 AM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
A Roland A33 controller has a good semi weighted key feel and would work find with the light, undersized Yamaha's..
Squeak the Studiologic controllers are Fatar..
You may want to check out the M-Audio semi weighted model controller[$299]...or M-Audio fully weighted model [$599]..The latter is a super 4 zone controller, but around 50 pounds..
Squeak the XP60 has a decent feel, but no where as good as the G1000,VA76 and G70..you only have to play the Roland boards for a minute to know what I am talking about...When my G1000 is no longer used as an arranger and sound source...it will be a designated six zone controller[41 pounds]..As a midi controller it is hard to beat..

#206300 - 07/15/05 08:54 AM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Fran,
A while back I was told that the G-1000 and the XP shared the same keybed. The XP series also had the 76 key XP-80. I was told by several that the keybed on the 76 key XP-80 was the same one on the G-1000. I think I got this info from members here on the Zone somewhere years ago.

Squeak

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#206301 - 07/15/05 09:48 AM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The action on the Roland G70 is NOT the same as the XP series (yuck!). To my knowledge, the only models with exactly the same action are the G800, G1000, VA76 and the A70 controller. The latter is what I would highly recommend if you can find a good condition one on Ebay.
Up to 8 zones and more controllers than you can shake a stick at!

I have said this in the past, but I consider the G70's action (plus the above mentioned) the finest plastic action on the planet! Enough weight and feel for piano work, and smooth enough for organ licks and smears.

A BIG plus with the G70 is the engine is now fast enough that playing the keyboard feels very 'connected' to the sound, something that many keyboards don't. Speed of triggering the sound (the keyboards 'latency' if you will) makes a huge difference to how responsive it feels. Also layers seem to trigger simultaneously now, whereas most previous generation keyboards tended to 'flam' just a little bit on big chords.

Anyway, a BIG thumbs up for the A70 for what you are looking for (but not light!).

#206302 - 07/15/05 09:49 AM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
Zleepy Offline

Loc: Finland
Ok, thanks, I got started.

I chekced Studiologic(Fatar) and found one interesting:
SL-161

No need for more than 61 keys..

Are they all this costy?? This one 599.95$

EDIT(Again...): Found more closer than I thought Right at Synthzone.com. Am I blind or what..
------------------
Tony

http://zleepy.cjb.net

[This message has been edited by Zleepy (edited 07-15-2005).]

#206303 - 07/15/05 09:56 AM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Squeak the XP series including the XP80 do not use the nice keyboard feel of the G800, G1000, VA76 and G70...It is a good feel but completely different..

#206304 - 07/15/05 12:43 PM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Zleepy, you specifically said you liked the G70 action. Trust me - not all actions are created equal. Before you rush off to buy a Studiologic or Fatar, PLAY THE DAMN THING!! Play everything! Find out what you like the best and save for that rather than compromise. The key-bed is the interface between your fingers and the sound - don't get good sound and a crappy action, to be honest, the reverse is preferable!

One more thing - try to get a controller with more than 4 zones; It might seem a lot to start with, but remember that each layer of a sound from different sources is a zone by itself, so you velocity-layer (or layer) three sounds to make a composite, you've only got one left. It's easy to run out of them - 8 zones is preferable, gives you more options.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 07-15-2005).]

#206305 - 07/15/05 08:38 PM Re: I know this is a bad subject... Keyfeel... But...
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
A Roland A33 controller has a good semi weighted key feel and would work find with the light, undersized Yamaha's..

Fran, I concur. This keyboard controller has been out for quite a while now so not sure if it's still available from Roland for sale any more. The A33 not only includes good midi support but nice onboard buttons for convenient accessibility to sounds & pathes, but programability as well. This is exactly the 76 note keyboard controller I myself utilize with my Tyros for playing songs in 'SOLO PIANO' mode (no auto accomp). Nice balance between weight (8.1 kg), key feel (nice), and a big plus is the free editor/librarian software: features: http://www.uttis.de/a33/ - Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 07-15-2005).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online