SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >
Topic Options
#206202 - 10/08/07 09:36 AM Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Dnj Offline

Cassp wrote
"And the thread was about - the Roland CM-30 Cube monitor amp. I can't wait until I use it on the job next weekend. I tried it in the store and it blew me away. I can foresee using my NanoVerb with it. Yeah!"

Cassp.....how you making out with the CM30 so far.....sound-wise, bass, overall sound with vocals on small gigs?
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=663

thanx

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-08-2007).]

#206203 - 10/08/07 09:52 AM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Donny, the real test comes this weekend when I use it as a monitor on the job. I'll try to test it in several ways, if I can. So far at home, it sounds great and I think it's going to do the job I want - typical Roland equipment; built like a truck . No NanoVerb use yet. I'll have more to report next Monday.

BTW, guess who just bought a PSR3000?

#206204 - 10/08/07 10:13 AM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Dnj Offline

Cassp.....congrats on your new 3k!

why the Nano dont you sing thru the KB processor?

looking forward to more extensive review & thoughts on using it ALONE besides a monitor. I saw one in the store but they were all boxed......& I couldn't get to try one.

#206205 - 10/08/07 12:50 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
cassp Offline

I tried running it through its paces this afternoon. I would say that for small audiences, one CM-30 would work, but two would be great!and could cover a good-sized audience. The sound is full, not tinny. I guess I'd like a little more bass, but the bass certainly is not missing. A small sub with two CM-30s would make a great little system. The CM-30 would be fine by itself, especially in an acoustically live space.

Using the G70 vocal mixer gives good effects results, not muddy at all. I don't have the 3K yet, so I can't comment on that area. As for using a NanoVerb, it was a thought only. I have a Digitech Vocalist IV also and I was just thinking that a simple effects box like one of those could be used for any FX needed like reverb, delay or harmony if using the mic input separately on the CM-30.

I found that setting the dials at about one o'clock gave me full tone and volume with no hint of distortion playing a full SMF, loud drawbars and vocals.

I'm going to look around for another CM-30 deal. $175 is a fair price for this kick-butt box, but $100 is even better.

Insist on trying one - the packaging is not restrictive. I'm sure you'll like it. It's as good as the Mackie SRM 180 at half the price.

Damn, I'm going to have to check my spelling better I think everything's OK now.

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 10-08-2007).]

#206206 - 10/08/07 03:23 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Dnj Offline

cassp....
thanx so much for the review I will try to audition one asap for sure...
sounds like an interesting piece of gear.

#206207 - 10/19/07 02:18 PM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Dnj Offline

Cass & all........

Today Fran & I went browsing some music stores after a great breakfast at iHop.
I needed to return something & look around.....& to see if they a Mackie 150 (small Monitor...
http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/

while searching the store I noticed a Pa800 on top of a Tyros 2 ......which was nice, it wasn't there 2 weeks ago...it did have OS1.51 too....right next to the KB's there was a ROLAND CM30 cube monitor.
http://www.roland.com/products/en/CM-30/index.html

This unit was another item Ive been wanting to demo after I have discussing it with Cass who has been very happy with the sound, & after plugging in to one in the store with the pa800 I can certainly see why! It really has a robust full spectrum sound, I was quite surprised, I also had the sales man bring out a Mackie 150 which is another unit I wanted to check out too.....well let me tell you there is no comparison sound wise it was like
Night & Day....the CM30 really sounds good and full, I tried several different selections of styles thru them & it really showed no sign of breaking up but instead exhibited only a nice TIGHT bass projection & with the dual cone speaker the highs really stood out with nice coverage all out of this tiny package. On the other hand the Mackie 150 although crisp and clean sounding could compete with the full bodied sound of the CM30. I would say the that the Mackie would be very satisfactory in an acoustic Guitar/Vocal scenario for sure as it was intended....but lacked the diversity of a full frequency sound required for Arranger Keyboards & Vocals. The Cm 30 could easily cover a small venue gig, NH, Cocktail hour, Small restaurant diner job....& having on-board speakers will only add to the coverage. Dont be fooled by the "NUMBERS" game manufacturers play
30 watts vs 150 etc etc ....its all how its allocated and I dont know about you but My ears are the best judge. I would urge you to go try one and see for your self.....if your in need of a nice SMALL amp for those certain gigs Roland has done it again for sure with the CM30.....using Two in stereo would be a beautiful thing also for sure
I bought one & took it home

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-19-2007).]

#206208 - 10/20/07 04:52 AM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Dnj Offline

Forgot to mention the nice steel grill & kool built in carry handle

#206209 - 10/20/07 06:40 AM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
Donny, thanks for the review..I'm still going to demo the CM-30 because I'll be back in Miami Nov 2 and near GC and Ash, but from what you and cassp are saying, if it lives up then i'll fo sho either go for 2 of them, or maybe 1 plus a new Behringer 1800fx if that combo can work. unless the Yamaha Stagepas 300 blows me away. those will be my 3 choices. I was going to consider the Traynor K4 but at 57.4 lbs would be too risky for my back.

------------------
Miami Mo

#206210 - 10/20/07 07:16 AM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
Dnj Offline

Mo the stage pass is a more powerful unit w/sm/mixer.....remember what I said in my review for the power & size the CM30 its is excellent sounding for the right SMALL gigs...if your doing bigger jobs then of course a bigger PA is required.....why not check out the Mackie SRM350's also for smaller lighter sound PA reinforcement ?
www.mackie.com

BTW I hear & played thru the Traynor K4...
its very ergonomically manageable for sure & flexibly designed to cover a full array of situations, best ONE Piece unit for Kb/Voc I have heard....check one out for sure!
http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=9&cat=57&id=340

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-20-2007).]

#206211 - 10/20/07 10:38 AM Re: Cassp hows the Roland CM30 so far?
cassp Offline

Donny the Endorser, you're the man! All I can say is, you should have bought a pair of CM-30's. I have been playing my G and 3k thru my pair and the stereo separation is sweet. I've never really played in stereo (except for the built-in speakers or headphones)and this a very nice effect. My next experiment will be to hook up my EV Sb120 and see if I can get an even fuller sound with that fairly compact sub.

As for the StagePass 300, I think it would be a great mid-size amp for a OMB or small combo. It's a little heftier than a pair of CM-30's, but also can handle a little more power and bass. Luckily, I now have a pair of CM's and a pair of Mackie i300's. I think I'm set in the sound reinforcement area.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online