SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#206119 - 06/16/07 03:53 PM Re: new board
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Hellboy,
wav drum loops can be used in SD1+'s also.
Don't know how easy it would be to sample them though.
I tried it when I bought my sd ( a couple of years ago) with some free mp3 loops I converted to wav files, I don't remember having any great difficulty incorporating them in a style. I didn't try it with midifiles though.

Commercial wav loop cd's can be a bit pricey for good quality ones, so I didn't really get too involved, and by now I've forgotten how I did it.

One option I have been considering when I get a chance, is trying some of the "real drum " wavloops I got with my BIAB2007 upgrade.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hellboy44:
[B]
1. Sampling (drum loops etc) and then using said loops in SMF's and Styles - easy to do?????

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#206120 - 06/16/07 07:03 PM Re: new board
miden Offline

Loc: The World
hi hellboy,
polyphony was only really a problem when i was playing in full piano mode, but only with a relatively dense arranger style...the rest of the time it was not an issue (korg have some of the best note allocation algorothms going).
afaik drum loops can be sampled and used in styles and midis, but be aware that these are saved as user sounds, and if you also tweak effects to go with them, these cannot be accessed via external midi devices...they need to be edited and then saved within the PA sequencer.only having 2 insert efx for midi/style and 2 for live keyboard was an issue, particularly if you wanted some overdrive on your guitars, but wanted some, say, Lo-FI on a keyboard track, you couldnt do it and have reverb/chorus as well..its just the way korg set up the efx chain in the PA (in the synth keyboards its not a problem).the way its set up you have efx A+B for arranger/midi tracks and C+D for live keyboard tracks, and either set cannot be mixed.
on the crossfader, to be honest i never found the use for it...the access time for midis and mp3's was so quick between songs it was not required..BUT for someone who was doing more of a DJ type of gig, it would be very useful...be aware though that mp3's can only be used on the sequencer 1 side, not both, probably not an issue for you, but deserves mentioning..another thing that might interest you, as you seem to be wanting to use the sampler more than i did, it is quite slow at loading, too slow imo, for live gigging...plus the MAX memory is 32mb (it only has 2 16mb hardware slots...PLUS you usually have to unload samples before loading new ones, ie you cant load indiviual samples, say like the sd1, and have them all resident...i believe on the PA there is a way to compile your samples into a set so that you can have a few available at the same time, but this is still restricted by the 32mb...i remember buying the Piano Assault from Irish Acts, which took up all the ram, one instrument!!!i am thinking now with my sd of running sampling from my laptop, because i am thinking of buying the Ivory VSTi..if you do buy the PA you can have my Piano Assault if you want it (i will give it to you as i no longer will use it)..and i think its still hiding somehwere on my data drive...
hope that helps and i haven't rambled too much!!!
cheers
dennis

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-16-2007).]

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-16-2007).]

#206121 - 06/16/07 07:35 PM Re: new board
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
personally haven't tried sampling in years, I wasn't much good at it.
I did actually find an unusal source of wav samples thru my soundfont banks. I split them up into wav file sets and manage to load them into the sd. My problem was then trying to make them sound any good. My knowledge on sound editing is very limited.
I couldn't get them to sound anywhere near as good as some of the sampled sounds in the sd, so I gave up. Even though I'm quite happy with the onboard sd sounds, it would be handy to be able to add some additional wav sounds.

Wouldn't something like the Ivory piano be a bit large??
The wav's I tried loading were only a few mb's.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by miden:
[B]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#206122 - 06/17/07 01:14 PM Re: new board
miden Offline

hi rikki,
the idea would be to play the ivory from the laptop, not load it into the SD, via midi..quite east to do with the right host, forte for example is one that comes to mind..also all the big DAW sequencers can also host vsti's and dxi's...just switch on the transmit channel of whichever keyboard channel you want to drive it...
dennis
PS i am also thinking of adding one of the great electric guitar vsti's as well...you could even set it up so that one, or more of the arranger tracks can also play the vsti too...the possibilities are endless (oops! should say almost endless)

[This message has been edited by miden (edited 06-17-2007).]

#206123 - 06/17/07 02:24 PM Re: new board
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Dennis,
that makes a bit more sense ( haahaa) don't know what I was thinking.

I actually tried what you mentioned a while back with a diffrent piano called True Piano
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum43/HTML/000081.html

The demo version worked really well with forte etc

Didn't actually try it with the SD1 as controller. I did try it with the psr1500 & my Clavinova & worked really well.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by miden:
[B]hi rikki,

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#206124 - 06/17/07 03:28 PM Re: new board
hellboy44 Offline

Loc: Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
hi hellboy,
polyphony was only really a problem when i was playing in full piano mode, but only with a relatively dense arranger style...

afaik drum loops can be sampled and used in styles and midis, but be aware that these are saved as user sounds, and if you also tweak effects to go with them, these cannot be accessed via external midi devices...they need to be edited and then saved within the PA sequencer.only having 2 insert efx for midi/style and 2 for live keyboard was an issue, particularly if you wanted some overdrive on your guitars, but wanted some, say, Lo-FI on a keyboard track, you couldnt do it and have reverb/chorus as well..
...the way its set up you have efx A+B for arranger/midi tracks and C+D for live keyboard tracks, and either set cannot be mixed.

another thing that might interest you, as you seem to be wanting to use the sampler more than i did, it is quite slow at loading, too slow imo, for live gigging...

.PLUS you usually have to unload samples before loading new ones, ie you cant load indiviual samples, and have them all resident...i believe on the PA there is a way to compile your samples into a set so that you can have a few available at the same time, but this is still restricted by the 32mb...i remember buying the Piano Assault from Irish Acts, which took up all the ram, one instrument!!!
dennis

Ok...well:

I'll be playing along to SMFs or even MP3's so I'm hoping that "helps" with the polyphony - I really hope that Korg's Algorhythms keep the drums (DEFINITELY THE KICK DRUM) going, as really, that's the most important thing.

I think I'm getting you re: FX.
My wife plays Electric Guitar (rhythm) so guitars aren't REALLY too much of a problem there.

Re Sampling memory I did expect the long loading times (what Arranger has fast sample loading times?) but I did NOT know you had to UNLOAD samples as well...

I understood there was at LEAST a couple of options regarding the PA1X piano:

1. At least one other sample set I've heard of takes up minimum Ram (about 16 meg I remember reading??)

2. Eq'ing the piano for more middle and bass "depth".

Finally I planned to get around any FX/Sampling Problems by recording some particularly sample intensive sequences internally in the PA and saving as an MP3 and then playing along with that MP3 live...

Do these all sound like reasonable workarounds to you?

(Thanks for your detailed reply btw - you guys here on this forum - and the Korg one - are my only hope - remember I cannot see this keyboard "in the flesh" to audition it properly as no loacal stores carry the PA1X Pro Elite...)

BUT...

www.chi-chi.com.au

#206125 - 06/17/07 05:00 PM Re: new board
miden Offline

hi hellboy,
to put your mind at ease, i NEVER had any dropouts with drums, even on the most dense file+keyboards, i wouldnt be surprised to find that korg have set it up so that bass and drums are the last to go as far as poly goes...so in my view you will NEVER have a problem with the drums...having a live guitarist overcomes that issue nicely (and remember it was only an issue with me, i dont know about others.....as far as the sampling goes, its a pain but korg didnt develop a way to just add samples on the fly until the ram was taken up, as i said im sure there is a way to load all the samples you need at the one time, its some type of .set file, i know this because when you load the real drums set for example, it loads quite a few drum samples in memory which are then available for use within in any area of the board....this may be addressed with the latest op system due at the end of june, check out the news section at www.korgpa.com but it might just be for the pa800....the other workarounds you want to do, once again in my view, would work really, really well on this board...to be honest if only i could have held off buying a board until after january next year, i would have becasue i reckon korg are coming out with a ripper board at namm 08, just a feeling ive got, but yeah...
anyhoo, i still think you will not be disappointed with the pa, it remains one of the best imo...
dennis

#206126 - 07/09/07 08:50 AM Re: new board
ptram Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by miden:
interesting thing i found out was that the pa800 is actually built by ketron

Uh... really not. No connection of any kind between Ketron and Korg. Ketron doesn't even have a factory.
Paolo

[This message has been edited by ptram (edited 07-09-2007).]

#206127 - 07/09/07 12:35 PM Re: new board
miden Offline

hi paolo,
i was just repeating what the dealer said...but they (ketron) must have a manufacturing location, all the boards have made in italy, as do the korgs?? cheers
dennis

#206128 - 07/09/07 12:52 PM Re: new board
ptram Offline

Dennis, there are several facilities assembling the products for various brands. Ketron uses one of these. In any case, they don't manufacture for other brands.

Paolo

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online