SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#205752 - 09/21/07 10:13 PM Re: Talent
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Where's that vocal version of Ave Marie that someone posts yearly? That should make everyone who performs publicly (singing) feel better about their talent level.

#205753 - 09/21/07 10:40 PM Re: Talent
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
My mistake; I think the song is O Holy Night.

#205754 - 09/22/07 02:41 AM Re: Talent
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Your missing the point completely. Negative comments actually provoke more negative responses and what happens is a complete hijack of a music forum into a personality attacking , malicious and bad spirited forum. In almost every other post there is a dig at another musician, sometimes from musicians that dont even post their own music for it to be held under the spotlight themselves.

What i am saying is that if pro's want to put their music up on this board and amateurs alike, your own ears will tell you who is the real pro and amateur whatever the poster states. If you dont like the music then dont listen to it, dont participate in the thread, leave it the hell alone. If the poster has allusions of grandeur leave them to it.Music is not like the emperors new clothes. You hear what you hear and you either like it or dont.It doesnt matter how pro someone states they are or how much they get paid for doing what they do. If they get paid for putting out rubbish then at least give them credit for that talent !!!

But by making positive and constructive comments it encourages people to post their music, not just the original poster but everyone else. It makes people feel like they are not entering a talent contest, there is no need for any Simon cowles like behaviour here. If someone posts a song that completely slaughters the true rendition thank them for posting and leave it at that. The kind of pressure that people are under if they dare to contribute musically to this forum is appalling. If you paid money to come on the forum to listen to the music then critiscise all you like but i am certain that if even 10% of the forum members were to start contributing their music you would see how exciting the forum would become. Ideas would be exchanged. We all might learn a trick or two.... over the last few months all i have learned is how childish and down right mean spirited people can be. I am starting to come to the reluctant conclusion that this is not the place for me to be.

#205755 - 09/22/07 05:00 AM Re: Talent
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Spalding, while I applaud your quest for forum nirvana, in real life it's not going to happen. Haven't the years proven that to you yet? That's not to say there's no place for mutual respect, but your advice sounds more suited to a group of 7 year olds at summer camp, where the need to bolster an awkward kid's self-esteem overides his ability to hit or catch a ball.

But we are NOT kids. Perhaps things are different in the UK, but here in America, if Roseanne Barr chooses to sing the National Anthem at a ballgame on national TV, she's going to hear about it; if Miss Teen South Carolina sounds like an idiot in front of a national audience, she's going to hear about it. We critisize our President when he does a lousy job; heck, in Philly, we've been known to boo Santa Claus. May sound cruel but it may keep a few guys like Rory's karaoke singer from slipping through the cracks.

Do you think it will improve the forum if you threaten to leave every time someone posts something you don't agree with? What about the fact that at least half of the responders DID agree? Don't their opinions count?

My original post didn't name names. I merely posed the question, "if a performance is bad, should we lie about it or tell the truth". I admit that is was prompted by the negative responses to some other member's negative critique of a performance. As to your following statement, in my opinion, it just ain't so.

Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:
Most of the demos on this forum are done to illustrate an aspect of the instrument that we play and not to show off our performance skills or talent.

I don't think anybody believes that.

Peace, I really hope you don't leave on my account 'cause I (and many others) am always going to have an opinion and it may not always be in lockstep with yours.

chas

#205756 - 09/22/07 05:14 AM Re: Talent
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
'but your advice sounds more suited to a group of 7 year olds at summer camp'

.....I couldnt have put it better !

I think you will have seen enough of my posts to know that i am not so sensitive about peoples opposing opinions that i will leave because of them. And i dont get hot under the collar easilly. I will leave because the forum has nothing musically to offer me and hasnt for the longest time. I have heard several visiters come and say how entertaining they find the fights on this forum. It says something about us when people come here to watch us fight....

If i wanted to argue all the time i would get married !

Anyway best of luck.

I nolonger want to be part of this.

#205757 - 09/22/07 05:34 AM Re: Talent
Dnj Offline

Who cares, just put a SMILEY face on anythng you say ......then it's ok!!

#205758 - 09/22/07 10:56 AM Re: Talent
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
SO SCREW IT
bebop

#205759 - 09/22/07 02:28 PM Re: Talent
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by J. Larry:
My mistake; I think the song is O Holy Night.

I have it

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online