You mean like this?

(sorry...just tryin' out my new filter)

-mike

#205743 - 09/21/07 02:11 PM Re: Talent
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
We were chatting with Bennie Tuesday at the store I needed some gear.....but when we mentioned you he looked puzzled?

We went to Hawaii in 1992. By my estimate, Benny must be 80+ and I have not seen him in @ 20 years. In fact, for all the years that I frequented his store (as a customer, not a personal friend), I'm not sure he ever knew (or cared) what my full name was. If you truly know Benny, you know that this is true. Every musician (of my era, anyway) in the Philly area remembers Benny; that doesn't mean that Benny remembers them. What exactly are you trying to say, Donnie? That I never existed? that I was never a part of the Philly music scene? I think the more likely thing is that we travelled in (very) different circles.

What exactly is it you want to know, Donny (and by extention, Fran)? Obviously, for my family's privacy, I don't want my personal information (like the location of my home) scattered across the internet, but if you have any questions about my professional life, past or present, I'll be happy to answer any reasonable questions.

The statements I made represent my opinions about posting tunes on this board. If you choose to do it, then be prepared to be critiqued. If your stuff is good, lots of people will tell you. If it sucks, don't be suprised or angry if someone tells you that. I didn't mention anyone specifically, but if you or one of your friends feels as though they "resemble that remark", what can I say.

chas

#205744 - 09/21/07 02:13 PM Re: Talent
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, so quick with the tongue when you think someone is in your face

Invasion of privacy....come on!!

Public information that anyone can get...I didn't post your telephone number, address or even your immediate area....I thought I would get a civil answer since I mentioned I would be in your area...

Maybe Bennie didn't recall you because you aren't a accordion player.. ..or Italian..

I know he knew Jerry T. and another half dozen accordion players we mentioned from the area..

Let me know if I should look you up ..if my plans work out...

#205745 - 09/21/07 02:48 PM Re: Talent
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

Let me know if I should look you up ..if my plans work out...

Fran, I want you to know that I am sincere when I say that my home is always open to fellow musicians (with the exception of drunks and addicts). You're even invited to stay over if you like (we are a non-smoking house but there are several exterior decks and a nice pavillion out on the dock). My wife's a lousy cook (I've never had the heart to tell her that) but there are some really great restuarants in the area, including the one in our country club.

Keep me informed. My studio is full of great toys. If you like the scat voices on the G70, you'll go nuts over the ones on the VP-550. Plus, you can "trash" the Tyros2 and PA1x pro up close and personal.

chas

#205746 - 09/21/07 02:50 PM Re: Talent
Spalding1 Offline

Loc: birmingham,england
Chas i dont know if you were really bored today or if you were just looking to mix things up on the forum but i have to say i respectfully disagree with much of what you say in this thread. Most of the demos on this forum are done to illustrate an aspect of the instrument that we play and not to show off our performance skills or talent. It takes courage to post anything on his forum because of this ongoing animosity between supposed adult musicians amateur or pro. I stand up and sing before over 500 people every week in my home church as i will tommrrow, i play for my church choir of over 40 members, i write and perform for small groups of aspiring singers and musicians locally and yet i still have not plucked up the courage to post one single demo of my instrument despite my good intentions . Why ?????? its simply because of the unhelpful, sarcastic and downright meaness of some of the contributors to this forum. It honestly pains my soul to see what grown men do to each other on this forum each week and increasingly on almost every other posting. I rarely comment on a demo here but when i do i try to be constructive and give due consideration to the guy that had the balls to post ! I want to see more people posting and sharing music and ways to bring out the best in the instruments we have. Just because i have the talent to spot weaknesses and tear people to shreds does not mean that i should. And that seems to be the prevailing talent on this forum recently !!What kind of talent is that anyway ???? Anyone can tear people down, create an atmosphere of spite and hurtfulness. Talent is natural ability. Unfortunately some people seem to have an abundance of talent for hurting and provoking hurt. I am not looking for another battle that ends in more hurt and anger and grudge making.

I just want to be part of a forum that supports users of great instruments like the arrangers we own and helps us play better, be more creative and be more productive. Cant you please stand with me chas DNJ,Scotty and anyone else and commit our talents in doing this ????

#205747 - 09/21/07 03:35 PM Re: Talent
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The thing is, if you are really posting to demonstrate some aspect or another of your arranger's operation, well, primarily you need to at least have the skills to play a song correctly (few timing glitches, relatively correct melody and chords unless deliberate substitutions), before whatever aspect of the arranger you are trying to show off doesn't get hidden behind an appalling performance that masks your point completely.

The other part of this thing we are seeing is that, the more one posts about one's own competence, steadiness of pro work, and sets oneself up to be the 'king' or 'expert', the more fair it is that one's work can be critiqued at that level.

If you can dish out criticism, you should be able to take it...

#205748 - 09/21/07 04:03 PM Re: Talent
Caragabal Offline

Loc: Hobart Tasmania Australia
In my opinion music reaches its highest level when it is shared.

Talent plays well while others others criticize.

Technical skill does not always produce the best music the heart does.

Cousin Ken.

#205749 - 09/21/07 05:06 PM Re: Talent
cgiles Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:
Chas i dont know if you were really bored today or if you were just looking to mix things up on the forum but i have to say i respectfully disagree with much of what you say in this thread.

I'm bored every day. That has nothing to do with my expressing an opinion that you don't agree with (as is your right).

Quote:
Originally posted by Spalding1:
I stand up and sing before over 500 people every week in my home church

If I stood up and sang before 500 people in my church, there wouldn't be 10 people there the following week . But that's not really a problem because I know I can't sing and so therefore will not be doing that. Besides, if we pooled the congregations of every Unitarian/Universalist chuch in a 500 mile radius, we still couldn't get 500 people. I guess liberal religions that are anti-war, pro choice, pro gay rights, pro seperation of church and state, pro gun control, etc., etc., just don't attract much of a following down here in the great state of Gawwwga. However, most of the people in my immediate area are coporate transplants from all over America.

Man, I wish I could be spiritually and philosophically involved with my chuch but musically involved with one of those great Black southern gospel choirs. I love the music.

I have to learn not to digress.

chas

#205750 - 09/21/07 06:09 PM Re: Talent
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Let's take a look at what most of SZoners are: pros. At least that's what they say. Now, I find it very hard NOT to agree with Chas. If one posts a song and the first thing he says is that it was just something he threw together and to ignore the mistakes and all...well, then the reader (listener) has been warned that the quality isn't something to write home about. Not exactly how to sell a song or demo in my opinion. And it gets me to think: if THAT is good enough to share with pros then I really wonder what the audience has to listen to. JMHO

Taike

#205751 - 09/21/07 06:20 PM Re: Talent
FAEbGBD Offline

Loc: Nashvville TN
I was performing at the SD state fair a few weeks ago. During my off time I would check out some of the other stages. One small stage had a guy up their singing Karaoke of old country and 50's music. The guy was close to being in the right key, and nowhere near being on time. Had to wait until the words showed up on the screen I guess, which took awhile to register in his brain and come out his mouth. And this was at the state fair. Wonder if nobody ever told him he sucked; and rather was always encouraging and supportive of his absolute zero talent?

And I should add, his was a scheduled performance; printed in the handout schedules so everybody knew what was going on where. It wasn't a spontaneous event with lots of people coming up to sing; this was his show, advertised. And it was absolutely pitiful to listen to.

[This message has been edited by FAEbGBD (edited 09-21-2007).]

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online