SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#205564 - 02/21/05 01:09 PM Transfer data from floppies to PSR3000
RicRob Offline

Loc: Bethlehem, PA, USA
This subject probably has been discussed previously and so my apologies.
Will become a PSR3000 owner soon and it will replace a PSR2000. I have nearly one hundred discs with styles, voices, songs, lyrics, etc -some of which I would like to transfer to the 3000. Can this be done through the PC by loading the floppies and sending the data either directly to the PSR to the smart media card or to a thumb drive which would then plug into the PSR?
Your help appreciated - many thanks.

RR

#205565 - 02/21/05 01:40 PM Re: Transfer data from floppies to PSR3000
Anonymous
Unregistered

You could do it with a computer and transfer to the thumb drive or a smart media card with the aid of a card reader. Or you can pick up a usb floppy drive and plug it into the 3000 and use them just as they are on the floppies.

#205566 - 02/21/05 01:44 PM Re: Transfer data from floppies to PSR3000
Ron Pierce Offline

Loc: Fort Myers, FL USA
Rob,
Congratulations on the new 3K. Your best bet at transfering the styles and songs that you now have is via a USB Thumbdrive. You can pick up 128meg drives for 10-20 bucks at places like Staples, OMax, CompUSA, and BestBuy. It's much faster than the floppy route and a lot more convenient.
Ron

#205567 - 02/21/05 03:47 PM Re: Transfer data from floppies to PSR3000
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello..............I also faced your dilemna last year when I got a PSR3000. Go with the thumb drive option............you will be soooooo happy to rid yourself of floppies!! I now stay busy for days (weeks?) with my 512meg thumb drive. -charley

#205568 - 02/23/05 01:08 AM Re: Transfer data from floppies to PSR3000
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I'd load the floppies onto a PC, organise into a set of subdirectories and then use a thumbdrive or a card reader.

If you don't want to take the card out of the keyboard, you can use Yamaha's "MusicSoft Downloader" to transfer files to/from the card via USB but it isn't fast and the operation of the software package is functional rather than enjoyable.

If you have a digital camera that uses SmartMedia you may find you can use this like a card reader. In "transfer" mode on my Olympus, the smartmedia card appears as a removable hard disc device when I plug the USB cable into the PC.

#205569 - 02/27/05 06:40 AM Re: Transfer data from floppies to PSR3000
RicRob Offline

Thank You to all who responded.
The PSR 3000 arrived and I went the thumb drive route and transferred about 10 discs so far to it. Very easy even for me.
New problem, how can I use the folder/file system to catergorize the different sytles in a fashion as shown on the PSR.
Can it be done on the computer before I transfer date to the thumb and can it also be done on the PSR.
What I want to do is create folders for each category such as
Ballads
Big Band
Polkas
etc
and then all styles would be placed into that special folder.
This is one area I could never figure out how to do it even with the PSR2000 but I used the various floppies separately instead. Now there is the Thumb drive with hundreds of styles on it and have to page thru it pick out the one you want.
As always, appreciate your help. Need step by step procedure if possible.
Thanks
RR

#205570 - 02/27/05 07:02 AM Re: Transfer data from floppies to PSR3000
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yes, you can create the folders on your PC very quickly and easily, then drag and drop the fils into the various folders. Access time in very fast using the keyboard's OS and when accessed via registration files, it's almost instantaneous.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#205571 - 02/27/05 12:04 PM Re: Transfer data from floppies to PSR3000
RicRob Offline

Thanks Travlin'Easy
Couldn't believe how easy is was to do.
RR

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online