SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#20548 - 09/30/02 05:37 AM K2000 gone mute, please help
Carver Offline

Loc: Tampere, Finland
I got hold of a broken K2000VP that isn't producing any sound from the line out nor phones output. It powers up just normally, the display shows normal startup. Is there something I could start from or is it just a trip to the dealer?

Thanks,

Harri

[This message has been edited by Carver (edited 09-30-2002).]

#20549 - 09/30/02 10:22 AM Re: K2000 gone mute, please help
geosync Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA
Try the "A" outputs and see if there is any sound.
Also make sure that your MIDI is in local or both mode

Geo

#20550 - 09/30/02 11:59 AM Re: K2000 gone mute, please help
Carver Offline

I did some testing and it seems a bit strange. If I press "View" followed by "Panic", the sound appears in the phone output (couldn't test the line outs yet). However, pressing "Disk" mutes it and nothing but View/Panic restores it. Pressing "Setup" gives those preset sounds all the time, even if "Disk" is pressed. So, just the edited sounds seem to suffer, (three of those are totally mute even though all "Edit" settings look normal).

Does this indicate a bad connection somewhere? I already gave the SIMMs and all socketed chips some tweaking.

Thanks for your reply, geosync!

Harri
PS. After further inquiries, I heard the instrument may have suffered from a road bump during transport, that's why I suspect bad connections.

[This message has been edited by Carver (edited 09-30-2002).]

#20551 - 09/30/02 04:13 PM Re: K2000 gone mute, please help
geosync Offline

Try holding the 123 buttons down while turning on the K2000. This will do a hard reset and may fix your problem.

Geo

#20552 - 10/01/02 01:55 AM Re: K2000 gone mute, please help
Carver Offline

Ok, that might be worth trying. But doesn't this erase all edited sounds? There are quite a few good ones, I wouldn't like to lose them. What's the procedure to save all of them to disk? (Sorry for not reading the manual, it's still at the owner's i.e. my brother).

Thanks again,

Harri

#20553 - 10/01/02 08:05 AM Re: K2000 gone mute, please help
geosync Offline

press disk then save "everything" then name the file and enter. If your edits are corrupt, you will have the same problems when you load them back.

You should visit the following 3 places as a new Kurz
owner.
http://www.sonikmatter.com http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KurzList/ http://home.sprynet.com/~palermo/k_main.htm

and also send email to support@kurzweilmusicsystems.com

That should get you going

Geo

#20554 - 10/01/02 09:21 AM Re: K2000 gone mute, please help
Carver Offline

You were right. Reset didn't make things any better, the sounds were corrupted. I did some fiddling and found out this: looking with "View" the sound layers contained instruments but looking with "Edit->Layers" they weren't there! After editing them back, things were back to normal (or at least sounds could be heard).

The diagnostics complained about MIDI UART malfunction, I hope it's because you're supposed to connect a loopback cable for the test to work. We'll see if it works now.

Thanks for the links and hints!

Harri

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online