SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#205541 - 01/15/07 01:18 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Look, guys, unless you are into hiphop and rap, this is not going to impress you at all, compared to a regular arranger, but if you ARE..... well, you already realize how close to impossible it is to get good hiphop out of even the top arrangers, here is an inexpensive keyboard ideal for the job.

If you don't like playing hiphop or modern urban styles, you are just not going to 'get' what this one is about.... it certainly isn't a full arranger, nor tries to be. Hiphop is played, composed and arranged very differently to how older styles are. It's like giving a modeling synth to Mozart.... he just would have no references how to use it (mind you, it would have been interesting to hear what he came up with!).

So, if you have no time for hiphop, just remember that this is probably not designed to impress YOU.......

#205542 - 01/15/07 01:49 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I agree with Diki, if you're not into modern styles such as Hip Hop, Rap, and R&B (when I say R&B--I mean examples such as Alecia Keys, Brian McNight, and so on) then the MM6 will not be the board for you.

A while back Yamaha hit the low end keyboard scene with a board designed "specifically" for modern styles. It was the original DJX. Why they never carried on the legacy of the original (considering how good the sales were) is beyond me. The MM6 is another comeback for the DJX keyboard. Only this time it has a Motif based sound engine. However, the orignial had a basic (very limited) sampler, and ribbon controller too.

If you're a tradtional style player then the MM6 will not please you in the least. There are not styles such as Polka, ect on this model. It is strictly an modern style arranger with more of an urban appeal.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#205543 - 01/15/07 02:01 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
miden Offline

Loc: The World
i agree with squeak and diki... can't wait to find out if it allows user edits of the patterns/arps, if so it will be a great bit of gear for under a grand
dennis

#205544 - 01/15/07 02:09 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
squeak_D Offline

Miden,

Just by looking at the panel button (the sound categories specifically) there is no "user" section. There are however 64 user performance slots. Set up just like an arranger too--just a snap shot of all your current settings. However this may be another way around not having user slots for custom voices. If the performance space will save the knob assignments then you can save tweeked sounds that way.

Also from what I've been told there is not a pattern sequencer (or style recorder) on the unit either. I'm sure that you can make limited adjustments to the prest patterns and save those to the performance memories, but as far as creating a custom pattern from scratch--I don't think this unit will do that. I also don't think you can store custom arps either. The unit has 213 preset arps but no mention of anything in regards to user arps.

I heard from Yamaha that the 8 track sequencer on the unit is strictly linear. I would assume it's the same as the S-500. I also don't see room for user patterns, however much of these limitations (in regards to the sequencing) can be overcome by using the included software or any other software application.

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 01-15-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#205545 - 01/16/07 10:07 AM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
miden Offline

thanks squeak...sequencing is not a problem as i use sonar, but one of the biggest negatives on the s90es is not being able to edit the arps, so i can create intros endings etc, also no foot control for on/off and changing...i was sorta hoping the mm6 might have these things..so maybe i will either have to look at the motif xs, or a specific arranger module...anyhoo will wait til namm to see
cheers
dennis

#205546 - 01/16/07 11:01 AM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
renig Offline

Loc: Canada
Okay, this keyboard is aimed at the modern market and, to my ears, it does a damn fine job of it. What's with all this 'segmentation' crap anyway - it's all music. Why don't manufacturers include a dozen or so of these styles into their mainstream arrangers? Y'know, spread the wealth. Can't be that difficult, can it? Oh, I know, it's probably the marketing dept., who really need to get out more, or at least just listen for once to their customers.

#205547 - 01/16/07 04:34 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
miden Offline

can only agree with that!!

#205548 - 01/16/07 04:34 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
i have a quick question about the new Motif XS and the MM boards.

does anyone know exactly what the keel feel is like? will it be on par with the T2 keel feel?

#205549 - 01/16/07 05:26 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
squeak_D Offline

Nick if I remember correctly a rep or someone close to the XS units reported that the keybeds are going to be similiar to the T2. I honestly found that odd too. It's either the same keybed or it's not ya know.

If it's the same keybed as the T2 I really don't know how current Motif owners are going to respond to that either.

#205550 - 01/16/07 05:53 PM Re: Yamaha MM6 DEMOS!!! Working Links:)
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
thanks Squeek,

I would prefer if it has the same keybed as T2...

whats the release date for the XS in Australia? I am very keen to buy this board. the 8 sliders, large colour screen and sound quality have already sold itself to me

cant wait to try this board!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online