SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#205423 - 11/10/03 10:44 PM Most popular songs of different eras.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hey Gang

A long time ago I requested a site to go to to find out what songs were popular at different times in the different genres.

Nobody could answer that one.

I believe the following link may help those of us that could use this info.

It could get those of us updated that previously leaned heavily on the old standards and/or it could be useful info to see what artist did what song in what year. I know that the audience gets off on that kind of info and is a good way to find tunes if a certain era is requested for a particular job.

It also could help remind us of tunes we just forgot about. Anyway, here it is:

http://www.timelife.com/is-bin /INTERSHO...?CategoryName=1

An interesting side note to this is a short time ago I asked for help knowing what to play at a wedding reception where there was to be people in their 30's and the bride wanted almost exclusively 50's and 60's.

There was no one there in there 30's and most of the people preferred and danced to the standards along with a bunch of modern ballads.

Best
Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 11-10-2003).]

#205424 - 11/11/03 05:42 AM Re: Most popular songs of different eras.
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
I wouldn't completely trust the Time Life collection as the definative answer to the most popular songs of an era. I just checked out the 60's collections and there wasn't one Beatle song in the whole bunch.

These collections of songs are like legal fake books. They are only going to include songs in which there are no royality payments to be paid.

Tom

Tom

#205425 - 11/11/03 06:34 AM Re: Most popular songs of different eras.
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Naturally, when you're an old fart, especially as old as Tom and I, those songs are still vivid memories. However, there are times when I have to struggle a bit for the lyrics. In most instances, I go straight to Lyrics World http://ntl.matrix.com.br/pfilho/html/main_index/index.html and I'm able to either dig up the lyrics by searching for the title or the artist. Nearly every song on the site has the history of that particular song or artist. Additionally, the songs are listed as to the era of popularity, which is perfect for special gigs that relate to a specific age group. Hey Tom, looks like Scott is catching up to us. At one time we were twice his age--what happened?

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#205426 - 11/11/03 12:38 PM Re: Most popular songs of different eras.
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Gary,

The vivid memories are not quite so vivid anymore. In some cases however the memories are better than the real thing. It must have something to do with another year older and another Budweiser.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 11-11-2003).]

Tom

#205427 - 11/11/03 07:25 PM Re: Most popular songs of different eras.
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
nothing to do tonight, so I thought I'd revive this old thread.
http://www.gospel2motown.com/midi/motown.htm http://www.olsoncomputers.com/prime/MIDIs/Alphabetical/

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 11-11-2003).]

#205428 - 11/11/03 09:06 PM Re: Most popular songs of different eras.
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Thanx for these links Cass.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online