SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16 >
Topic Options
#205216 - 09/09/04 01:07 PM Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
It's always fun for me to get an early lead on somthing new getting ready to be announced. I know many of you read this forum waiting to hear just this kind of information. I am letting you in on what's soon to be announced by Roland Europe in the next few weeks........just a little sooner!
On October 1, 2004 Roland will be unvailing a new 76 key "top of the line" arranger keyboard. I am going to give you what information I have from a very reliable source who has preliminary data sheets and pictures of this new keyboard.

The 76 key keyboard has the same action found in Roland's G1000 keyboard (the one Fran loves so much). This will be good news for many who preferred this keybed over the current VA76. This was also used in the Roland XP80. There are no speakers on board.

The polyphony is 128 note

There is a large color screen

The operation is all push buttons......NO touchscreen on this model!(Seems like Roland listened to most of you who disliked the touch screen)

The keyboard looks more like the G1000 but with some looks from the VA76 (mostly because of the large square screen)

192 MB of rom sounds.(largest in Roland's current keyboards). 1598 tones in 16(or maybe18) catagories. The Ultimate Grand Piano from the Fantom X is included.

270 styles using a new "Progressive Style Technology". Each style has 4 variations, 4 intros, 4 endings and 6 Fill ins(that's right, "6" fill ins.)

There is a floppy drive, a PC Card Slot which takes the same adaptor as a lap top computer for using all kinds of external storage devices including IBM Micro Drives.

Internally there is 50MB of memory (that's quite a lot!)

One SRX Expansion slot is provided for adding additional sounds from Rolands huge library.

A fully programmable VK8 Virtual Organ is included with 9 faders right under the screen for complete control. There is a B3 Emulator featuring, like the VK8 Percussion, Leakage, Overdrive, Vibrato, Leslie and Registrations.

A feature from the Discover 5 which allows you to change all of the data while playing a SMF is available and then storing while on the fly.

Adaptive Chord Voicing- Intelligent Chord voicing while playing the style with the left hand so as to not hear any "jump" in octave of certain style parts while moving up the keyboard.

Vocal Harmonizer with seperate audio output and seperate effects processor.

Audio Stereo inputs with seperate effects (85 different effects)

Each section of the keyboard has it's own effects (some more than 1 or 2) seperate from the other parts. Right hand has 3, Backing styles have 2, VK Organ has 3 (Rotory, Vibrato and Overdrive. The Vocal input has noise gate, compressor, Reverb and Delay.

D-Beam is included

Screen will display the Score and the Lyrics.

Video out is standard on the back to view on a large TV or Monitor.

16 track sequencer with Micro Scope Edit

Chord extractor will provide chords when playing back a standard midi file which does not include chords.

Programmable One Touch settings within the styles.

144 User Programs with no limit to how many can be stored when using a PC card storage device.(I'm not real clear on this one!)

Vocal harmonizer presets include 30 small, 30 ensemble and 24 vocodor setups. There are also talk, voice effects, auto pitch and singer modes.

The G70 doesn't appear to have sampling or hard disk recording. I asked about this and I was told no, but again this was a quick look over a fax from Italy.
This is the information I have right now.
I've been told the product will begin showing up by the end of the year in Europe and probably will not be shown until the Winter NAMM show here in the USA. Price is not known at this time until it's official unvailing in October in Europe.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#205217 - 09/09/04 01:26 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I actually might be a candidate for such a beast, now that I'm in a sit-down situation again. We'll know by the time it's out.
Sounds super. However I didn't really like the heavy action of the G800/1000, so might not like this either. But I'll bet there will be a light-action version to follow.
All right! Something new to talk about.
Has Uncle Dave ordered one yet.
DonM

#205218 - 09/09/04 01:27 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I've found this forum to be a bit boring lately. This should liven up the forum.
"Ultimate Grand Piano from the Fantom X". Wow. The demos on this one are sweet. This is very exciting news.
Fran might actually part with his G1000. Way to go Roland. It's more then time.
SRX expansion. Very smart move on Roland's part. This will make the G70 very appealing and also make more $ for Roland. Also, more then about time, on this no brainer. I believe members on this board mentioned a SRX card on a Roland wish list.
Roland could actually be listening to user's???
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 09-09-2004).]

#205219 - 09/09/04 01:44 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Great news George..
This confirms info I recieved 3 months ago[ G2000 or V-70 were mentioned]. So I guess they compromised..G70..

Like I said before Roland already had all the components...they just had to put it together...
The only thing not confirmed is the MP3/wave player...Hope this becomes available , even as an option..
The PCMCIA slot may open the door for new "ideas"..maybe self contained card with it's built in drivers[like VX Pocket audio card}...

My G1000 will not be sold, even with my "new" G70...but if the new board handles some of the chores of the VA-7[read and write text/lyrics,as an example],my VA-7 might be available..[sorry Tim]..

#205220 - 09/09/04 02:02 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
If it doesn't have a sampler, it doesn't interest me a bit! I'll stick with my PA1X and Fantom X combo : )

#205221 - 09/09/04 02:07 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

The least used feature of any arranger keyboard is the sampler function..for 99.9% of the arranger people this is No BIG deal..
It is so hard to sample anything that would come close to factory samples..
Harosha I quess you are in that1/10 th % group..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-09-2004).]

#205222 - 09/09/04 02:09 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Fran, I am surprised.

Here is what I think. Fran cannot be separated from his G1000. The day will come when it will experience a catastrophic failure with no parts availability. Plus noone will know how to service it. And...and...and...Fran remains forevermore with his G1000----no sound----just memories. Sad!!!

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 09-09-2004).]

#205223 - 09/09/04 02:15 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Hey Frank ,I could hang it on the wall as a conversation piece, like a painting..Or make a coffee table out of it...There is always, the needed door stop...There are so many ways to use the G1000 in it's after-life...

#205224 - 09/09/04 02:20 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
What no sampler?Dont tell me i cant beleive it!!!!!!

#205225 - 09/09/04 02:26 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
harosha Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL, USA
I totally agree with you Fran, most arranger keyboard players don't even need a sampler. I mainly use sampled acoustic drums and percussion loops in my styles, trust me, the sounds of drums and percussion from some of the professionally sampled loops are AMAZING!

I really don't need a full feature sampler on an arranger, just enough features to slice loops to incorporate in styles.

Just saw Shakeel's post, I guess I am not the only one using samplers on an arranger : )

[This message has been edited by harosha (edited 09-09-2004).]

#205226 - 09/09/04 02:38 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
Hrosha, some time i feel pity for those who
dont use sampler.This is the age of samplers
and we have to admit it,if not,how long.
Sampling makes u more creative rather than a
robot.I was not excpecting from Roland.May be
in the final production we have sampler in it.

#205227 - 09/09/04 02:59 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hello,
good to read about the new Roland. I hope, it's equipped with USB for using an external ZIP drive to read all the VA data.
I hope, the style companies does offer new 4 variation styles for Roland.
6 fill Ins are good, but in what way are they connected with the 4 variations?
In Yamaha we have for each variation a fill in and a global break, in Technics ev'ry variation contains two fill ins.
I hope the price is not higher as the Tyros price. This day, I tried again a VA 76, special offer for 1600 Euro but compared with the Yamaha and Korg stuff it sounds not so good. The release of the new one makes it more difficult to sell the old ones (VA 7/76).
Maybe the new Roland key is a good way, to make an Atelier organ more portable and more payable.
Do you know how I can get a notification about presentations in Germany (my music store does notify me always late)?

------------------
Regards
RF

#205228 - 09/09/04 03:52 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
to the genesys Offline

Waw!! this sounds like a winner.
I hope that sampling and hard disk recording will be available some way on this board. Being able to have samples on user styles to me are becoming essential for music performance and production today.
Also I hope it has sound editing.
I am glad to hear that it is not just an arranger but also has a sequencer.

Hopefully it will be a reasonably priced board and the weight will not be on the heavy side i.e. over 40 LBS.

This may be a contender now that I am looking to get back a 76 key keyboard.

#205229 - 09/09/04 03:57 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
George Kaye Offline

You won't need a USB for a zip drive. You can use the PC slot which can then be adapted to be used with a zip drive or any other type of drive. There is a USB to host device to use with a computer.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
(Retired 2021)

#205230 - 09/09/04 04:05 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
zuki Offline

I hope they keep their uncomparable styles, including their fabulous human voices.

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#205231 - 09/09/04 04:19 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Accordionist Offline

192Mb of ROM? This beast will be the new King of un-expanded workstation ROM. Bye-bye to the Motif ES 175Mb of ROM.

With all of those features I see this as a $3000+ board. Sure sounds interesting George. I'm going back and forth and back and forth between the ES, Fantom XR, and Tyros. It's been driving me crazy. And with the ES Rack probably 3 months away that's been on my mind as well.

This new G70 throws a monkey wrench in the whole thing. And since you can add an SRX board this will be killer. The Complete Orchestra board is unbelievable and one of the main reasons I want to buy the Fantom XR and control it with my Technics digital piano. Throw in 192Mb of sounds PLUS styles and this thing is killer. 50Mb of internal storage should be able to support any arranger player's styles and SMFs, WITH video.

Thanks for the information. I'll probably buy a workstation/arranger within the next ten years!

Tommy

#205232 - 09/09/04 04:42 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
This really sounds exciting. Even tho I love my SD1, there isn't much competition in 76 key AK. The exclusion of speakers should allow the weight to be reasonable... the SD1 is only 37 lbs.

I own the XP80, and the keybed is one reason I would never give it up, it's fantastic. The inclusion of a programable VK should make this a very desireable KB. Thanks for the report, George.

[This message has been edited by GlennT (edited 09-09-2004).]

#205233 - 09/09/04 05:07 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
This is fantastic news! I wish we hadn't lost our recent posts, because I pretty much hit this right on the nose with my predictions this past summer. As a VR-760 owner too, I might be tempted to sell the 2k and 760 for the new G-70. I agree I don't need sampling and, really with my laptop, storage is not a problem. I can see at least $2799 as a list. Can't wait !!!

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-09-2004).]

#205234 - 09/09/04 05:44 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
I am glad to see Roland has not abandoned its participation in the high-end arranger keyboard market. Of course, the proof will be in the pudding, but if they kept what was done right in the G1000, I will be buying one. From George's post, it seems that they have addressed most (if not all) of my gripes - the polyphony, the vocal harmonizer, a good sound set, no touchscreen, but all buttons, the One Touch settings per style, no more ZIP, and solid state storage instead - btw, the 2 GB compact flash card costs about $160, and the adaptor for PCMCIA slot is another $10 - a cost-effective way to store loads of stuff, better than the USB dongle, which sticks out.

I agree with Fran - sampling is something I would not do, if I want a sampled sound, I'd use a laptop with a audio card, and appropriate software. However, it would be nice to be able to download additional sounds into the keyboard's memory.

A question to George - 50 MB of internal memory seems like a lot, way too much for storing user presets, or even sequences. What do you think it is used for? Must be for some audio data.

As for the price, Roland high-end stuff is usually quite expensive. I would guess a list of $3499, and street price of $2900 - this is not cheap, but the build quality of Roland is usually quite good, and to me it seems to offer a better combination of features than the Korg's stuff does.

Regards,
Alex

#205235 - 09/09/04 07:28 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Smokey Offline

Loc: Colorado
I could sell the 2100, VK7 and if the G70 has aftertouch my SY85. Only 1 board! What would I do with my other two hands?

Smokey

#205236 - 09/10/04 12:48 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
btw, the 2 GB compact flash card costs about $160, and the adaptor for PCMCIA slot is another $10 - a cost-effective way to store loads of stuff, better than the USB dongle, which sticks out.

A question to George - 50 MB of internal memory seems like a lot, way too much for storing user presets, or even sequences. What do you think it is used for? Must be for some audio data.

Regards,
Alex

With a 2GB Compact Flash Card and or 50MB of internal User Memory it is a shame Roland left off Sampling capability. Tell me it isn't so George! NO AUDIO capability at all with all that SPACE??? And I thought the Tyros was the only Keyboard to give massive Space via a Hard Drive and then not give any Audio data capability... It will take a lifetime to fill up my Tyros Hard Drive with dinky Midi Files and Styles, etc. What a pity...

I am guessing that the 50 MB internal Memory will be co-habited when using the SRX Expansion Card. In other words, when the SRX Expansion Card slot is occupied, the Card itself will take up much of the internal memory. Just a guess but why else would they put so much internal memory when there is NO AUDIO capability? There's got to be a reason I would think.

Other than that, I think Roland is on to something here. They did address many of the things that were left off the G1000 and VA-76. And putting a modeled VK-8 Organ with B3 emulation on it will give the G-70 some killer Organ sounds.

Stereo Audio (Inputs) is a welcome sight. Plus a separate Output and Effects Processor for the Vocal Harmonizer. Very cool!

Hopefully the Key Action can be adjusted?!?!? Something that up until now hasn't been done, right? There's gotta be a way to do it I would think. Flip a switch and the Action goes from Heavy to Medium to Light if need be. All at the touch of a button. I doubt it will be adjustable but hey, they've been known to do some other radical things. Like the D-Beam Controller and new VariPhrase technology. So an adjustable Keybed Action is right up their alley I would think.

If they keep the price under $3K they should sell a bunch of them.

BUT!!!!! Stand back Boys! Remember Yammie is going to be unveiling the "Tyros PRO XL" -[name has been changed to protect its real identity] which btw, the above name could indeed be its real name.

I'm looking forward to the new Tyros' specifications with bated breath too. But Yamaha Music Division will need to pull out all the stops if they want to 'remain' king of the hill. They have their job cut out for them that's for sure. But I am rooting for them, especially since I've invested so much of my hard earned cash into the Yamaha name.

Let the best man, err.. Company win!!

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 09-11-2004).]

#205237 - 09/10/04 02:08 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
dud Offline

Loc: israel
no sampler and no hard disc ?!!!

in oriental music not having the abbility to sample , is like to be dead.

all the good oriental arranger keybords players I know , sounds fantastic in live , becouse they use a keyboard with a sampler(like the SD1 \pax1 pro)and even if they don't know how to sample good oriental sounds, they buy the sounds from those who know how to do it.

so (and I use ROLAND gear) the new keaboard is not for me and to my opinion, not for any one who plays oriental and arabic music' unless someone wants to spend more money on a sampler\pc and take tou instruments instead of only one.

shame because i have waited so long for the new arrenger from ROLAND.

------------------
davidfle@hotmail.co.il

#205238 - 09/10/04 06:37 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
George. Thank you for this update on G70. The Roland demonstrator promised me in April that I would see a new Roland Arranger later this year in the UK. He stated they had a promo sample for testing.

We are attending the twice yearly Keyboard 7 day Festival 1st week October so hopefully Roland may be showing a sample G70. If so I will post a report.

Graham UK.

#205239 - 09/10/04 06:39 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Dud, ruling out a keyboard before it is released...not smart...especially a new model that appears not to be a repackage model[Yamaha,Korg,Ketron]..In the past Roland always has decent oriental sounds and drum kits on board...and who knows maybe the G70 will read samples as the 5080 does....But to rule it out on speculation,,shame for a Roland user..

If Roland's new model was as basic as the "old G1000" with a mic/effects processor on board..it would have been a winner for me..But that's just me..

#205240 - 09/10/04 06:42 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Question - I'm not that familiar with Roland's SRX Expansion boards but from what I've been able to Google they add 64MB of samples but NO actual additional polyphony to the instrument they are used in, correct? So the G70 will be forever restricted to 128 notes of polyphony?

#205241 - 09/10/04 07:19 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Jim, you are correct,but Roland handles polyphony a whole lot better than Yamaha,Korg and Ketron..and that is a proving fact....For example, the PSR9000 [128] couldn't compete with the G1000[64],,how to play without dropouts, and in some examples with older PSR's, shut off[no sound when polyphony is used up]...When it comes to voice allocation Roland knows what they are doing...Numbers don't tell the real story...playing does...

#205242 - 09/10/04 07:21 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Luis.Santos Offline

Loc: Portugal
Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Question - I'm not that familiar with Roland's SRX Expansion boards but from what I've been able to Google they add 64MB of samples but NO actual additional polyphony to the instrument they are used in, correct? So the G70 will be forever restricted to 128 notes of polyphony?

Yes, that's right.
Roland's SRX Expansion boards are just samples...
It will possible to add, only as an example, the sound of a EXCELLENT piano expansion I already tested (SRX) to the G70! It'll be great!

Luis Santos

#205243 - 09/10/04 07:32 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Two points:

1) No speakers - no sale for Uncle Dave
2) George, the keys on the XP80 are VERY different from the keys on the G1000. Completely different length and feel.
Someone is confused at Roland, if that's what they told you.

I'm unfamiliar with oriental sounds, but I have never been interested in samplers either, since the companys all includes the (bread & butter) sounds I use. Maybe we robots play stock sounds better, who knows ?

#205244 - 09/10/04 08:38 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Starkeeper Offline

Any chance Roland will f/u with lower end models? Say a G20,G30,G50 (Simliar to G600,G800,G1000).
Starkeeper

#205245 - 09/10/04 08:50 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Starkeeper, the models you mention were not designed to be low end models...First was the G800, the top of the line 76 keys, than the G600,which was the top of the line,61 keys...followed by the top of the line G1000 that replaced the G800..
Some players are hoping Roland makes other models along the lines of the G70...a 61 key version [G50?]and a model with speakers [EXR50?]..

This is more common in the home piano division,,EM2000, EM50, EM25, and EM15..
The E series usually had/has the top of the line model..E-600 and previously the E-500..
Earlier models, E-70,E-86 and E-96.. each replaced the former model as the top of the line model..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-10-2004).]

#205246 - 09/10/04 09:07 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Graham UK Offline

One sure thing its a break from discussing Yamaha for a change.
Although I use a Yammy keyboard at present it will be a bonus for me not to give Yamaha my money again.
I recently had a friends VA76 for 2 weeks on loan whilst he was on holiday. The board and build quality were excellent.
The Roland demonstrator told me in the new arranger was sometime this year. He stated in April that they wanted to sit on it until they were fully happy with it. They did not want to launch it and then buyers finding bugs...they wanted it right from day 1. Its a pity other manufacturers don't have the same morels.

Graham UK.

#205247 - 09/10/04 09:27 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Yamaha can't sit on a keyboard...it would break..especially those cheesy keys and buttons..

#205248 - 09/10/04 09:29 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

Yeah well if Roland releases a bug-free keyboard they'll be the first in history to do so.

I agree that it's nice to change the topic from Yamaha, who seems determined not to build a new 76-note arranger (by the time they do the market will be saturated with them, so sales will be poor and they'll say "see, we knew there wasn't a market for pro/76 arrangers!").

But I still hate Roland for the terrible customer support I experienced in the past. I got rid of all my Roland products because of this. The G70 would have to be a hell of a keyboard to change my negative impression of their company.

As to the "Roland does better voice allocation" thing... I don't buy it. That's sounds like Korg's "generous 62-note polyphony" statement. But I remain open-minded and would gladly check out a new Roland G70.

#205249 - 09/10/04 09:36 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Open mind is all one can ask...fair enough..

Voice allocation is for real..Roland sets priortity to drums first and than bass, followed by the next important parts, such as right hand part 1 etc..

#205250 - 09/10/04 10:02 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Starkeeper Offline

Fran,
Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have never seen or heard a Roland G series. My loss.
Starkeeper

#205251 - 09/10/04 10:24 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

A couple comments on George's post..Roland uses the term performances as Yamaha calls registration,,When Roland states that you can recall from the 144 performance locations as well as those stored on the saved media...This feature available on the VA-7 version 2, allows realtime selection of performances that can be used as "music assistant"[Yamaha song finder],recalled from internal or zip [as in the VA-7]..This is a great feature...

The other feature I like to comment on,,is the singer mode , taken from the DisCover 5..This allows you to set up the keyboard that it reads your vocal range automatically, when you play a sequence it is keyed for your range..You can save different singer modes for other individuals as well as your own..They are easily selected and stay active unless you change the singer..This defaults to normal at power up...

#205252 - 09/10/04 11:22 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dnj Offline

George ....thanx for the heads up on the Roland release, sounds very very kool!

Now we need the PICTURES?

#205253 - 09/10/04 11:36 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Luis.Santos Offline

Yep!

Where are the pictures?!

Luis Santos

#205254 - 09/10/04 11:53 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Vadim Offline

What about Roland G-70`s sequencer? the most important feature!

#205255 - 09/10/04 01:34 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Starkeeper Offline

Would the faders (drawbars?) be real or virutal?
Starkeeper

#205256 - 09/10/04 02:15 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

My guess , they would be multi function up/down buttons, or sliders..
George mentioned sliders, under the display window...If they were drawbars , I am sure they would have placed them to the left side of the board[VR760]..

#205257 - 09/10/04 08:29 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Vadim Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:

This is more common in the home piano division,,EM2000, EM50, EM25, and EM15..
The E series usually had/has the top of the line model..E-600 and previously the E-500..
Earlier models, E-70,E-86 and E-96.. each replaced the former model as the top of the line model..

A little disagreement: Even though Em-2000 has a model name that starts with EM it doesn`t mean that it`s in line with Em-25/15... Em-2000 is exactly the same as G-1000 but 62 keys and speakers and some other munor differences..

A question (to all) How many MBs of sound ROM does G-70 will have? and how about the sounds? Will the sequencer have the same "Working..." problem as G-1000/VA-76/7/Em-2000?

No Sampler, good, no need to pay extra money for stuff not needed....

Any pictures of G-70?

Will there be VariPhrase, touch controller?

I think that that G-70 will be a down- version of G-1000, if it would be an upgrade it would be someting like G-1500 or VA-100... but that`s just my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Vadim (edited 09-10-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Vadim (edited 09-11-2004).]

#205258 - 09/11/04 02:40 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Vadim, when I mentioned the EM2000, it was intended to show it as the top of the line model..showing the other models as lower end models of the series..

There are major differences between the EM2000 and the G1000, not the basic sound engine, but things like seperate outs, source sliders, seperate midi ins and outs, and the overall quality of the EM2000 does not match the G1000..

Roland in the past has always designated "70" and "1000" as their top models...I am sure this G70 is a grade or two above the G1000..

Also a reminder, Variphrase is a sampler...

Vadim BTW, most EM2000's have 61 keys[just kidding with you]..

Fear not ,Roland will always incorporate aftertouch on flagship models..

The D-Beam is very useful , especially with organ parameters and style control parameters..

I would like to see Roland continue the VariPhrase on the G70..it is so easy to use and assign to any realtime part and/or sequence part...It's a shame the vast majority of VA owners never really got into this feature, especially with the Version 2 upgraded VA-7..With that 50mg internal ram, the Variphrase could be a highlight...of course most would still not use it[fear of something new]..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 09-11-2004).]

#205259 - 09/11/04 05:18 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Yes, the VariPhrase is a sampler. But I would even be happy if the G70 used the VP engine to edit resident sounds or files (or sounds in memory). I probably would not use it to record my own samples, but others could. The VariPhrase is a great tool.

#205260 - 09/11/04 07:02 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
George Kaye Offline

There will be faders directly under the screen as well as virtual faders in the screen just above the faders. There will not be a variphrase sampler.
The sequencer will be deeper in the editing than previous models.

------------------
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#205261 - 09/11/04 11:35 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Graham UK Offline

At a previous keyboard festival I spoke to the Italian designer about Variphase. He stated it was intended mainly for the vocals it does very well and although you can record vocal samples yourself, the Variphase was not intended in the design parameter or of the quality to sample other instruments.

#205262 - 09/13/04 10:39 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Graham UK Offline

G70. I Just received this info from a Roland contact today.
There's a world wide embargo on all spec until 1st October....

Graham UK.

#205263 - 09/13/04 11:07 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

As far as I know , you can not multi sample with VariPhrase[at least on the VA-7]...This still makes it okay for vocals, but for a sample with dynamics[piano], you will get poorer results..But, most people don't have a clue how to multisample..they can sample a pot thrown into a sink, or a car horn etc..This is why I think most would not miss a sampler on the G-70..

#205264 - 09/13/04 11:37 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Uncle Dave Offline

Fran,
You've never held a pot and I'm sure you have no idea where the sink IS in your kitchen. ( That's the room that most families cook in ! )

Hint:
The sink is next to the big, brown, heat-making, boxy shaped thingee.

#205265 - 09/13/04 02:16 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

UD, you will stir-up Fran and things will never be the same.

#205266 - 09/13/04 02:17 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
karlo Offline

Hello,
I'm roland user. I have g1000.
I'm really disappointed cos g70 has no sampler. I mean sample player, not sample recorder. I don't have any interest in recording samples. But I was in hope that new roland arranger will have sample player with import option for .wav, .aiff, roland or akai samples.
I'm afraid that with g70 we'll get again many and many tones (10.000 ?), but they'll be to much simillar like on E\G\V series.
p.s.
Srx's demo songs didn't delight me.
best regards

#205267 - 09/13/04 06:00 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
karlo Offline

I know that Roland produces printers also. But why in arranger we must use only roland's 'toners', without any 'refill' option? This is 2004. year. It seems to me so conservative and selfish approach.

#205268 - 09/13/04 09:26 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Uncle Dave Offline

Can you say ...... BETAMAX ?

#205269 - 09/15/04 10:49 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello Mister George Kaye:
Maybe you now more about the new Roland arranger and have maybe som picture's
is this possible to play with two sequence's

The 76 key keyboard has the same action found in Roland's G1000 keyboard (the one Fran loves so much). This will be good news for many who preferred this keybed over the current VA76. This was also used in the Roland XP80. There are no speakers on board.

The polyphony is 128 note

There is a large color screen

The operation is all push buttons......NO touchscreen on this model!(Seems like Roland listened to most of you who disliked the touch screen)

The keyboard looks more like the G1000 but with some looks from the VA76 (mostly because of the large square screen)

192 MB of rom sounds.(largest in Roland's current keyboards). 1598 tones in 16(or maybe18) catagories. The Ultimate Grand Piano from the Fantom X is included.

270 styles using a new "Progressive Style Technology". Each style has 4 variations, 4 intros, 4 endings and 6 Fill ins(that's right, "6" fill ins.)

There is a floppy drive, a PC Card Slot which takes the same adaptor as a lap top computer for using all kinds of external storage devices including IBM Micro Drives.

Internally there is 50MB of memory (that's quite a lot!)

One SRX Expansion slot is provided for adding additional sounds from Rolands huge library.

A fully programmable VK8 Virtual Organ is included with 9 faders right under the screen for complete control. There is a B3 Emulator featuring, like the VK8 Percussion, Leakage, Overdrive, Vibrato, Leslie and Registrations.

A feature from the Discover 5 which allows you to change all of the data while playing a SMF is available and then storing while on the fly.

Adaptive Chord Voicing- Intelligent Chord voicing while playing the style with the left hand so as to not hear any "jump" in octave of certain style parts while moving up the keyboard.

Vocal Harmonizer with seperate audio output and seperate effects processor.

Audio Stereo inputs with seperate effects (85 different effects)

Each section of the keyboard has it's own effects (some more than 1 or 2) seperate from the other parts. Right hand has 3, Backing styles have 2, VK Organ has 3 (Rotory, Vibrato and Overdrive. The Vocal input has noise gate, compressor, Reverb and Delay.

D-Beam is included

Screen will display the Score and the Lyrics.

Video out is standard on the back to view on a large TV or Monitor.

16 track sequencer with Micro Scope Edit

Chord extractor will provide chords when playing back a standard midi file which does not include chords.

Programmable One Touch settings within the styles.

144 User Programs with no limit to how many can be stored when using a PC card storage device.(I'm not real clear on this one!)

Vocal harmonizer presets include 30 small, 30 ensemble and 24 vocodor setups. There are also talk, voice effects, auto pitch and singer modes.

The G70 doesn't appear to have sampling or hard disk recording. I asked about this and I was told no, but again this was a quick look over a fax from Italy.
This is the information I have right now.
I've been told the product will begin showing up by the end of the year in Europe and probably will not be shown until the Winter NAMM show here in the USA. Price is not known at this time until it's official unvailing in October in Europe.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

[/B][/QUOTE]

#205270 - 09/15/04 11:47 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Vadim Offline

VariPhrase was totaly useless(it`s just a vocal sampler) when I was buying my VA-76 i thought I will be able to record Audio into sequncer(because of the input), when I got more familiar with it I teried to sample a guitar and other stuff from CDs, that`s when I relized it only Vocal sampler, if it would have been vocal harmonizer it would be great but... it`s not...

you want sampler on Arranger keyboard... never gonna happen(my opinion). ArrangerKeyboards were made primarily for live purposes, they also have a sequencer primarily for playing back MIDI files, if they gonna put a sampler on Arranger, those keyboards would be unafordable. Music Workstations are the ones that have sampler and stuff... Maybe some of you misunderstood this Roland G-70 ArrangerKeybord(ArrangerWorkstation), with MusicWorkstation/Sampler...

#205271 - 09/15/04 12:18 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Vadim:

you want sampler on Arranger keyboard... never gonna happen(my opinion). ArrangerKeyboards were made primarily for live purposes, they also have a sequencer primarily for playing back MIDI files, if they gonna put a sampler on Arranger, those keyboards would be unafordable. Music Workstations are the ones that have sampler and stuff... Maybe some of you misunderstood this Roland G-70 ArrangerKeybord(ArrangerWorkstation), with MusicWorkstation/Sampler...

That'd probably be correct if samplers hadn't already appeared in Arrangers, such as the Yamaha 9000 Pro.

#205272 - 09/15/04 02:52 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
to the genesys Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Vadim:
VariPhrase was totaly useless(it`s just a vocal sampler) when I was buying my VA-76 i thought I will be able to record Audio into sequncer(because of the input), when I got more familiar with it I teried to sample a guitar and other stuff from CDs, that`s when I relized it only Vocal sampler, if it would have been vocal harmonizer it would be great but... it`s not...

Remember that the genesys has the arranger, sequencer, sampler and harddisk recorder. The korg pax if I am not mistaken also has a sampler. Adding samples to a style is becoming another way of making a style more interesting. Keyboards today whether "arrangers" or "work stations", should not be with out the ability to load or create samples. I just can not see myself having a keyboard in the future with out a sampler and a sequencer.

#205273 - 09/15/04 03:50 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
karlo Offline

Gem, Pa1x, pa80, 9000pro, ketron SD1 have a sampler. Why there will not be a sampler in G70? Because if I have sampler on arranger, one day I'll have a wish to upgrade some drum kit. But Roland is No. 1. in drum sounding and save this thing only for himself, on the next 2008's year arranger.

Better approach for good sell is sample player in arranger, and offer some roland's expencive empty flash card, than srx rom cards.

If g70 has option for changiging kick or snare during live performance, without changing drum set, it will be nice.
I think that more lock options in 'prf' (user program) will be nice too.
And it's time for Roland to offer us some free software for making styles.

I'm loyal to Roland through past 10 years (W30, E16, E86, g600, G1000, Va7), but only weight and dimensions rejoin me from buying Pa1x.
Now I'm waiting something, but I'm affraid in vain.

That's my opinion, sorry my English is bad.
best regards.
karlo

[This message has been edited by karlo (edited 09-15-2004).]

[This message has been edited by karlo (edited 09-15-2004).]

#205274 - 09/16/04 07:35 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't forget that the new G-70 comes with the mark/jump features, excellent when playing midi files (the ones that we find on discover 5). Now we can play either midi or styles, almost in the same way.
I don't find the sample feature so useful. Otherwise, fade in and out buttons, half break, reset tempo and 4 way audio out from G-1000 are welcome.

G70 still misses the mp3 player, wich would be fantastic with the mark/jump buttons.

Will roland make an 61 keys/speakers model of the g70?

#205275 - 09/16/04 11:30 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Vadim Offline

ahha... so Roland G-70 certainly is missing an up-to-date gizmo!
[VA-76 at least has a VOCAL sampler,]

What is exactly added to the sequencer?
Are sounds taken from Fantom-X?

---still no pictures?

#205276 - 09/17/04 12:03 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
EM2000 Offline

Loc: Europe
Any news on G70 ?

#205277 - 09/17/04 12:21 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Graham UK Offline

Roland stated to me that World Wide G70 specifications will be released globally 1st October.

#205278 - 09/18/04 04:56 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Dear George,
Instead of what you posted, my own sources ashured me that the G-70 will have a Touch Screen and it will be in colors. It will also "click" when we touch it. There are also rumours about a G-1 for the end of the year.

Regards

#205279 - 09/18/04 08:04 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
George Kaye Offline

The Roland people I spoke with read the specs directly from a fax sent to them from Roland Italy. If any of these specs are incorrect I would be surprised. I was told that although the screen is color and large and looks like it might be a touch screen, it is not a touchscreen.
We will soon find out who's source was right or wrong.
George Kaye
Kaye's music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#205280 - 09/22/04 02:11 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Dear George,

Just to keep up with you, I got a copy from an European pre-release information email about the G-70 (top secret). It definitly says the G70 wil have a color touchscreen. I emailed you the first G70 pic available. You'll find the display very similar to the one on the Discover 5 so I think my information is more correct. Hope you find a way to share the pic with everyone.

Best regards

#205281 - 09/22/04 12:33 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

#205282 - 09/23/04 01:28 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Hi everyone,
Since I wrote I had a pic from the G-70 everyone has been sending me requests to email it (thanks Fran for helping but everybody says the pic you are posting is too small). I'd like to ask for some help on this because it is impossible for me to reply to everyone, my mailbox is getting full and I don't have a server to let everyone upload it. Does anybody has anyway to share my pic with everybody?
Regards

#205283 - 09/23/04 04:07 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
Minimix, You can e-mail me (the address is in my profile) directly. -- José.

#205284 - 09/23/04 06:13 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

DNJ has posted a large picture..search G70 pics.

#205285 - 09/23/04 08:06 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

The post with the larger G-70 picture has disappeared (I saw it last night) Where did it go? Why? Surely, it was not stirring any controversy, like the Cat Stevens' one, which is also gone.

#205286 - 09/23/04 08:20 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dnj Offline

I had to remove it to make room on my host.....
I can email the pic if you desire.

#205287 - 09/23/04 08:28 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Route 66 Offline

Loc: Braganca, Portugal
I already offered space for the G70 picture in my server. It would also be interesting to know the source of that picture, if possible (if it's not a secret!). Donny, please think twice before removing a thread: you are not only removing you material but also all the posts that follow! Thanks -- José.

#205288 - 09/23/04 08:57 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
Dnj could you please email it to me. I'll try to post it up.

#205289 - 09/23/04 12:34 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
vic83 Offline

Loc: Florida
alright here it is...

#205290 - 09/23/04 01:52 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

Vic,

Thanks for posting the image.
Can you magnify this picture to max size (ideally to be able to read button labels) and post in a separate thread?

Thanks,
Alex

#205291 - 09/23/04 02:43 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Loc: UK
I rarely post on this forum due to the amount of spin but can assure all that are viewing the above image that it is not real in the sense that it has been created as a visual and is NOT photographic.

#205292 - 09/23/04 02:50 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Sorry what should have been mentioned above is that it appears to have been a drawing for a manual and IS NOT A DIRECT PHOTOGRAPH FROM AN ACTUAL PRODUCT.

THIS LOOKS TO ME LIKE 'AN INTENTIONAL "LEAK", as in, let's get the suckers interested in our new product, as we're not in a position yet to release official photo's, but we'll get the trolls in on the act and let the cat out of the bag.

C'mon, get real. Spend your money wisely!

p.s. posting a reply to my posts may be deemed 'playing the game to further the interest'.

[This message has been edited by digitalvision (edited 09-23-2004).]

#205293 - 09/23/04 03:18 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalvision:
C'mon, get real. Spend your money wisely!

And how do you propose we do that? To buy a plastic wonder from Yamaha? or garganuan back-breaker from Korg which weighs more pounds than it has notes of polyphony? Or Ketron, who can not muster one of their sfaff to answer questions from loyal but frustrated users?

There is no harm in being curious, especially when there is nothing out there at present that is good enough to replace one's present board, which is six years old.

Perhaps this picture is not the real thing - we will find out in a week's time. However, if someone is willing to stake their credibility on this picture, I am certainly willing to risk my curiosity.

I don't mean any offence to the people who use and/or like any of the above brands of instruments - I am glad it works for you. However, every time I tried them, there was always something stopping me from liking them enough to buy them.

For the last 13 years I have been playing Roland keyboards, and knowing the quality of their sounds and styles, I am fairly certain that if the feature mix which George described at the beginning of this post is packaged well (I am not forced to use touch screen), then this will be a keyboard for me. Not that I will buy it before trying (or at least being able to return it). However, it seems that Roland have implemented a number of suggestions which I had written to them about. And heck, it appears that Roland even has a customer contact phone number now here in the US.

So lighten up - this picture is not offensive to anyone.

[This message has been edited by Alex K (edited 09-23-2004).]

#205294 - 09/23/04 03:37 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

its offensive in the sense that its promotion without being tagged as promotion.

#205295 - 09/23/04 08:50 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Quote:
its offensive in the sense that its promotion without being tagged as promotion.

So what? Everything is promotion nowadays and this Forum is no exception; even George's original posting was just that: plain and simple promotion.
Fact is, this Forum is composed by a huge bunch of potential buyers and the vast majority of us is eagerly waiting to "invest" our money on something new, provided it is worth the while...
So.... where is the sin and who is the sinner?

#205296 - 09/24/04 04:40 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

I really don't understand why digitalvison is so mad about the G-70 Pic. If you don't like Roland you don't have to look at it. If you don't like "promotion" maybe you should not be in this forum (or in any other) - it has a banner on the top promoting ZZounds with a pic from a Korg Triton. The pic I'm sharing is not in fact an "real picture" from an "actual product". It is a drawing as you say. But so close to the real that you can assume the G-70 will look like that. Anyone surfing on the net knows what design software does. Any way, if you pick a catalog from an real product from Roland or other brand you will read in the final page "All specifications and appearences are subject to change without notice". Does that makes you doubt on what you're looking at?
As I said before, I got this pic from a "PRE-RELEASE" information from Roland and you got to see it just like a "PRE-RELEASE PIC" from the G-70.It is not inteded for public use and you certanly don't believe that Roland will be promoting the G-70 with this pic. Anyway and again, it is enough to satisfy my curiosity for a new keyboard. Me, you and everybody will have to wait a little bit longer to see the real thing.
Finnaly, as you say, you rarely post in this forum so don't be so worried about us - we've been "spinning" here for longer

Best Regards

[This message has been edited by Minimix (edited 09-24-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Minimix (edited 09-24-2004).]

#205297 - 09/24/04 09:25 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Wow, if that is a touch screen, it's really small!

------------------
Graham

#205298 - 09/24/04 10:04 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Can't be a touch screen: with all those buttons wouldn't make any sense, would it?
Besides, this keyboard will most likely share a lot of things with the Fantom X (sounds included) so my guess is that it will have a flashy non- touch display, like the "X" has.

#205299 - 09/24/04 10:10 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Of all the manufacturers that I have dealt with in the music business,,,Roland , never hyped their products before release[and an already manufactured product]..I can recall many times I got wind of a new product before the Roland sales reps did...

This is not a purposeful "leak"...When it is made..Roland will say it is...until then..they won't..

#205300 - 09/24/04 10:13 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Right, no leak then, so where did the image come from?

#205301 - 09/24/04 11:30 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

I just saw a piece of info on one of the european sites, indicating that the price in Europe would be 3469 Euros, or around $3800 US. I don't know if this includes VAT, or not, but at this price this will be the most expensive mass-produced keyboard

Regards

#205302 - 09/24/04 11:45 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Quote:
Right, no leak then, so where did the image come from?

This will be the last time I'll try to explain this. I have a contact (wich by the way is a friend of mine) at a Roland dealer. I will not mention who he is directly 'cause the information is secret 'till 1 October and I don't want to expose him.
He emailed me a copy of the original pre-release information email from where I copied the pic. For everyone who thinks I'm joking, have any weird intetions or have in some way "manufactered" the pic I just say : Wait till the official release. For all the others who believe in me I say: I can be wrong about the display but you can all bet the G-70 will look very closely to pic.

#205303 - 09/24/04 08:28 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
zuki Offline

Minimix,
You're starting to sound like John the Baptist
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#205304 - 09/24/04 09:32 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
George Kaye Offline

Fran,
The "leak" I received came directly from Roland so they must want you all to know something is coming soon.........They are very aware of the talk around here with many of you being dissapointed Roland hasn't been around the higher end arrangers with a very viable product the past few years. And again, my Roland source tells me that there is not a touchscreen but just a similar display from the VA76 product.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#205305 - 09/24/04 10:07 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

George, If Roland is releasing info on the first of Oct..I will bet the G70 is already a finished product..and no need for hype..I am sure they did not really intend to make public via leaks[well maybe a little for you George]...
Remember how Yamaha puts out releases[info] a year in advance, while the board is on the drawing table..I never recall Roland doing this..

#205306 - 09/25/04 01:38 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by zuki:
Minimix,
You're starting to sound like John the Baptist
Zuki

Well, you're absolutely right but it's a shame that instead of talking about The G-70 this post as moved to a less interisting issue: the origin of the pic I got from the instrument and wherethere are "leaks" or not. Its enough to begin a new post.
Maybe the information I got is wrong but I still believe it will be a touch screen. Roland released the VAs, one of their firsts touch screen keyboards, and the next synth workstation like the first Fantom (FA-76)had a normal display. So, no reason why this can´t happen again - in color.

#205307 - 09/25/04 02:48 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just did a search with google for the G-70 and found that, here in the Netherlands, the suggested retail price is 3469 EURO (including VAT).

Now I wonder what I would have to pay when I tradein my G-1000...

(link to the article (in dutch)

#205308 - 09/25/04 05:23 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Synthman Offline

Loc: Denmark
At last a new arranger keyboard from Roland. I´m really looking forward to get my new instrument. I´ve had a G-1000 for 6 years now, so it´s gonna be great to hear some new tones comming out of my speakers

Synthman

[This message has been edited by Synthman (edited 09-25-2004).]

#205309 - 09/25/04 07:15 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Graham UK Offline

We are now into Page 3 of this G70 discussion....At the very least its a lot more interesting than talking Yamaha all the time.
We are attending our twice yearly Keyboard Festival next Friday 1st October till 8th. Seven glorious days of keyboard bashing. Just hope a sample G70 is there !!!!

#205310 - 09/25/04 07:23 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dnj Offline

Take Pictures

#205311 - 09/25/04 07:26 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:
We are now into Page 3 of this G70 discussion....At the very least its a lot more interesting than talking Yamaha all the time.
We are attending our twice yearly Keyboard Festival next Friday 1st October till 8th. Seven glorious days of keyboard bashing. Just hope a sample G70 is there !!!!

Amen - I've hit the snooze button on my Yamaha alarm. Looking forward to your annual report Graham (in a seperate thread, please!).

#205312 - 09/25/04 09:24 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Roel Offline

This G70 looks very nice.... as well the specs!
I could visit a demonstration in a few (6) weeks at "Music All In".....

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 09-25-2004).]

#205313 - 09/25/04 01:19 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Well, I think the G70 announcement fits in really well, timing wise, enough said.

#205314 - 09/28/04 02:52 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Vadim Offline

This G-70 looks more like V-synth, Discover-5, Fantom...also looks kinda... old.
Roland finaly normalized their apearance.

My persoanl opinion(and my music friends')I don`t care what other new Arrangers Roland scatches I`ll never buy Roland Again I had enough of it on VA-76, the sequencer Working thing, Zip disk even more crazier problems on G-1000... but it`s just my opinion

Roland makes great other stuff besides Arrangers.

#205315 - 09/28/04 05:27 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Vadim, I could not duplicate the problems you and your friend had with Roland sequencers..Both my VA and G1000 work fine..matter of fact they are my preferred way to sequence...

Maybe it is something you guys are doing wrong..

#205316 - 09/28/04 07:03 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Accordionist Offline

Just wanted to be the 100th poster on a SynthZone thread....a rarity....

Heh heh!

Tommy

#205317 - 09/29/04 12:36 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Vadim Offline

Quote:
Vadim, I could not duplicate the problems you and your friend had with Roland sequencers..Both my VA and G1000 work fine..matter of fact they are my preferred way to sequence...

Maybe it is something you guys are doing wrong..

and em-2000

Maybe we are... but what.. we didn`t have a problem with Triton Studio that we tried(maybe in our area the electricity is massed up...)
How long do you wait after you finished a track for the Working screen to finish?

#205318 - 09/29/04 03:44 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Fran Carango Offline

Vadim, it usually takes 5-10 seconds to save the track..

#205319 - 09/30/04 04:54 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
jdx Offline

Loc: Liverpool U.K.
Quote:
Originally posted by Graham UK:

where is this bash Graham?... jdx uk

#205320 - 09/30/04 09:01 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Graham UK Offline

jdx.The Keyboard Festival is in the UK. Caister On Sea. Norfolk. England. It's tomorrow 1st October till 8th October. Half board accommodation.
I normally do a show report if there is anything new to talk about on my return.

Here is the link. You may want to go sometime. http://www.organfax.co.uk/sceptre-promotions.html

#205321 - 09/30/04 12:08 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Vadim Offline

Quote:
Vadim, it usually takes 5-10 seconds to save the track..

yes, in the beggining, but when you have about 12 tracks and plus you did merging and punch in/out, that`s when it takes long time.
Try to make a song about 100-150 (4/4 measures), 14 tracks, then merge more stuff to each track do some punc in/out, do some copy- from and to, do velocity change, and make sure each track eats a lot of polyphony, than it won`t take 5-10 seconds.
that`s the thing i hate abour roland arrangers. For Example:In Korg Triton Studio as soon as you push stop you imidiatly can start recording another track.

#205322 - 09/30/04 01:43 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Shakil Offline

Wow this is interesting...

Of course you need a sampler, how are you going to play sounds that are not in the ROM? How about those ethnic sounds that no one will ever put on ROM.

IF this G7 will have the same synth engine, sequencer and sampler like the Fantom-X, then I will trade in my Fantom-X and PSR2000 for a G7.

BUT, if the sequencer is any different than the Fantom-X, NO-WAY for me to consider G7.

[This message has been edited by Shakil (edited 09-30-2004).]

#205323 - 09/30/04 09:08 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Uncle Dave Offline

G70

#205324 - 10/01/04 02:53 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Hi everyone.

...Just to say I was wright about G-70's display (Sorry George... ).
See it at http://www.roland.co.uk/prodcatdetail.asp?ID=g%2D70

[This message has been edited by Minimix (edited 10-01-2004).]

#205325 - 10/01/04 04:28 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Musikman4Christ Offline

Loc: USA
George, can you confirm if it has any digital outputs...Sorry for asking in so many threads, but I thought this may be the best thread to ask....

------------------
Peace,

Musikman

Musikman
Email:
Musikman4Christ@yahoo.com

#205326 - 10/01/04 09:38 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

The G-70 does not have digital audio outputs. Hard to believe in an instrument of this caliber when digital audio has become so commonplace.

One interesting and unique aspect of the G-70 is the V-Link compatibility, which allows the G-70 to become a video controller. I'm wondering if the arranger styles can be linked to "video styles" so that improvisational freeform audio and video shows are possible?

Also I'm interested in more detail on the music notation display and how files can be entered into it.

But mostly I'd like to know what the G-70 is going to cost...

#205327 - 10/02/04 05:06 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

One of the most anoying thing in this forum is that a lot of members keep confusing the arranger/worsktation keyboard types and specs. I've even read in other threads that the keyboard companys should merge the 2 types and have only one kind of keyboards. Everyone who doesn't understand the diference should at least try to get some more information about it. No one working seriously on the recording/production uses an arranger unless for some kind of "scratch pad" notes. Why ? You can have a pro sequencer section in an arranger but you will never have the "4-stereo sampled tone velocity matrix switched high-end studio recorded sound patch" like the Fantom X. And why is that? You don't need it. The arrangers like the G-70 is focused on real-time music. The worsktation are focused on non-realtime performance - you don't want it in the studio - but on slow (calm???) midi and audio recording with high emphasis on the sound quality. That's also the reason why you have more and more real-time sound controls on the workstations so you can do some sort of "groove" when you play live with what you have previously recorded. The digital out is tipically a workstation feature althought we find it in more and more instruments. And, yes, the G-70 could or should have it. But do you really need it? What for? Do you have a "all digital inputs mixer/recorder"?. If you want do record the G-70 to MD you can also use the analogs. You will not find the diference. If you're professionally recording in the studio then you should have a Fantom and they have de digital outs. You can be a professional entertainer with the G-70 but you will never be a professional producer or engenier.

Regards

#205328 - 10/02/04 06:20 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
to the genesys Offline

There is really no reason that arranger and workstations can not be in one keyboard.
I agree that most production is still being done with a workstation because most people have not had experience with the sounds of an arranger, but that is no reason for not having the best sound engine and sequencer with the arranger function.

As usual, sounds are always subjective. I have met several persons who have the Korg Triton but still wanted my arranger for most of the sounds. Also they have said that they wished that the Triton had the arranger function so that they don’t have to go a buy another board.

#205329 - 10/02/04 06:28 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

The digital output thing is just an inexpensive addition that would have been nice to have considering this keyboard will sell for multi-thousands of dollars in the US. I mean, my Edirol PCR-1 controller is a $300 keyboard and it has optical digital audio output as part of it's headphone jack (so does the Fujitsu laptop I'm writing this post on for that matter). Yeah, yeah arrangers are for live use - I've made that point myself, but I don't see why cheap keyboards and commonplace laptops can have digital audio but mega-arrangers can't. For the money, digital audio could and should be included in the G-70.

#205330 - 10/02/04 08:45 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
George Kaye Offline

The touchscreen question has been answered and I was wrong. I know how much we enjoy sharing information with each other here at the Synthzone and when I've been given some new info I get it out as soon as I can.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#205331 - 10/02/04 10:26 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Wow! Those specs look mighty intriguing!!

Kudos! to Roland for giving such a generous amount of internal storage memory at the tune of 50MB! That is really a welcome sight for sore eyes!! Finally a Keyboard manufacturer who has listened to the pleas of Keyboardists desire and longing for a decent amount of internal storage memory! It makes the Tyros 3.3MB look very paltry in comparison. But with all that internal memory there is no way to load WAV, AIFF, or AKAI samples unfortunately.

Also, notice that Roland has given the G70 "16 bit linear" ROM samples. Yamaha's WAV ROM in their Arrangers are only sampled at 12 bit including the Tyros. So the G70 should sound very lush and very good with the higher quality sampled ROM. But unfortunately they didn't include a Digital I/O to go with it.

SRX expandability is a truly welcome sight but why couldn't they have added more than 'one' slot?? A little skimpy if you ask me but a welcome sight nonetheless.

A Touch Screen has been confirmed but using the G70 for live use may prove to be a rather challenging undertaking.

76 Keys is soooooooo nice!! I'm sure the Keybed will be luscious to play on! Roland is noted for their outstanding Key action and feel. Plus they should be true full-sized Keys too! Although looking at the pic of the G70 leaves me with a little uncertainty if they are indeed really true 'full-sized' Keys. We shall see...

Also the Adaptive Chord Voicing (ACV) seems to be more in line with Yamaha's extensive Chord recognition implementation on their Arrangers. Hopefully this means that the G70 will recognize and implement complicated and extensive Jazz chord voicings (rootless or otherwise). Extensive Chord recognition on Yammie Arrangers is a major reason I purchased the Yamaha brand instead of from one of the other manufacturers. This could change with the introduction of the G70 from Roland. Hopefully other manufacturers will follow suit. Although I am not certain Rolands Adaptive Chord Voicing (ACV) is what it is, or what I think and hope it is.

And lastly but not least is the weight matter. Notice that Roland did not put the weight specs on the spec sheet. Does that mean they don't have a 'fully' assembled proto type built yet? What we are seeing in the G70 pic is perhaps just a 'shell' of the production model? No guts, no finished proto type yet? So no way to list the weight specs...

Or perhaps Roland is still seeking ways to reduce the finished production model's weight hence the reason they didn't list it in the spec sheet? Perhaps a newly discovered composite material has been made available which is super strong and "super light" and Roland is considering utilizing it in the new G70?

The Roland Fantom X7 (76 key version) weighs only 32 lbs. Will the G70 be at least in the same ball park as the Fantom X7? If it is they will sell a boat load of them for that reason alone IMO. If it weighs in at 25 lbs. or under, it will indeed be an amazing feat by Roland if it does.

Best regards,
Mike

#205332 - 10/02/04 01:31 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
Well, to ThePro..

You may be a Pro, and me just an Amateur, but gimme a break dude.

Yes, I posted on another thread that I wish they would merge the Tyros+Motif. What's wrong with that. Let me reply to your 'Pro' comments.

"I've even read in other threads that the keyboard companys should merge the 2 types and have only one kind of keyboards. Everyone who doesn't understand the diference should at least try to get some more information about it."

...but you obviously did not read the post well enough to understand what I was saying.

Not that I wish Yamaha would merge the "two types", as you state in your post, (alluding to a desire for functionality of both machines in one) but rather I just wish that arrangers had the same variety and quality of sounds as is found in the workstations like the Motif.

As I stated, I am a happy PSR2000 owner, but I find the sounds very limited, and the important sounds like Piano to be flat and lifeless. Hard to understand seeing that Yamaha makes both machines. I don't want to use my arranger like a workstation, I simply want to have my arranger to produce sounds of extreme quality such as in the Motif, and of much better variety.

Does anyone else agree? Russ

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#205333 - 10/02/04 06:49 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Man, jeez, 116 posts on this topic so far. and I'm still waiting on a reply as to what the hell is NEW IN THIS KEYBOARD? Oh, 2 fills, colour screen, etc.......

Don't get me wrong, I'll post the same sarcastic stuff no matter who the manufacturer is, but this stuff is getting OLD, TIRED, why bother......

C'mon people, please DEMAND new features, not hand-me-down's from other products. Where's dynamic improvisational accomp's, karma-type features, etc. Let's hear some ideas as to how to make these products better.

Please do remember, and I'm as big a culprit as anyone that if you keep posting in this thread about this product, or any other product specific you're playing the game that manufactures want you to play.

Let's hear (HOPEFULLY IN NEW THREADS, WHICH I'LL GLADLY TAKE PART IN) about new ideas for arranger keyboards, where they're going, what WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE.

ANYONE?

#205334 - 10/02/04 09:16 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
The touchscreen question has been answered and I was wrong. I know how much we enjoy sharing information with each other here at the Synthzone and when I've been given some new info I get it out as soon as I can.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

George,

I for one want to thank you once again for posting the information about the G-70. I am convinced that the info you had posted you believed to be most accurate; besides, Roland's published product info really buries the meniton of touchscreen.

I hope you continue appraising us of the news in arranger keyboards (and other related topics), despite the disparaging comments of some of the posters here.

While I think that it is unfortunate that Roland decided to continue putting the touch screens on the arrangers (I would much rather prefer the screen navigation like on the Fantom (high density display with buttons underneath), I am going to reserve the judgement on usability of this instrument until I can play it myself. Still, It is good to have information about the instrument ahead of time, so that once I do lay my hands on one, I can pay more attention to the areas of possible concern.

Thanks again,
Alex

#205335 - 10/03/04 08:09 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Man, jeez, 116 posts on this topic so far. and I'm still waiting on a reply as to what the hell is NEW IN THIS KEYBOARD? Oh, 2 fills, colour screen, etc.......

What's new is all these features in a SINGLE keyboard.

Adaptive Chord Voicing, 76 keys, Virtual Tone Wheels, 16 bit Piano Sample, Color Screen, etc, etc.

Can you name me another keyboard that has all these features?.

hmmmmm?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#205336 - 10/03/04 09:01 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

It's funny how these leaks just magically happen, and why any manufacturer would wish someone outside of their company posting prerelease information on a pubic forum is beyond belief, and why anyone would defend such an action is amazingly poor judgement.

My whole point is this forum and a very high percentage of its posts are behind the times, with little desire for revolutionary products. Some members seem to get excited that the G70 has a colour screen, like we didn't get colour TV back in the 70s or computers in 1981 that used colour.

The real deal is that due to the cost of developing these keyboards and because compared to computers, keys sell in far fewer quantities, the manufacturers have to use technology that is several generations behind what you would find on the latest PC.

The workstation of the future (including arranger features) will probably be a 'dockable' LCD touch display with few buttons and 99% of features accessible from the display. The keyboard serving as a dock, which you could add sound expansion boards to.

Just ideas, but these are the type of features that would be excellent, rather than shelling out 2 and a half K every 2-3 years for 'upgrades'.

#205337 - 10/03/04 09:07 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Clif Anderson Offline

Also new is Roland giving several of us what we have been asking for, a G-1000 with vocal harmony and SRX expandability. Yamaha has given us an expandable 76-key aranger with vocal harmony (9000Pro), but specifications are not everything. Roland instruments have a different character than Yamaha instruments. It is not a matter of one being better than the other, but I just prefer Roland's approach to sound programming.

Also, my guess is that Roland's adaptive chord voicing is not so much a more sophisticated chord recognition scheme, but a more flexible approach to implementing the chords it recognizes. For example, if a player plays Cmaj in first inversion closed vocing and then plays Fmaj in first inversion closed voicing, if the arranger follows this, there would be generally awkward sounding parallel fifths. However, adapative chord voicing might switch the F to second inversion to avoid parallel fifths and provide a smoother transition between chords. It is "adaptive" in that the way the Roland plays a chord depends on the chord that came before.

#205338 - 10/03/04 09:12 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Clif Anderson Offline

Now that you're listening Roland, could you also put manuals on line, like most other companies? That would assist purchase decisions and serve as a convenience for those who don't want to carry around the manual for the keyboard or have a habit of misplacing manuals.

If you did that, I wouldn't have to ask the following: Does the G70 synth engine respond to polyphonic aftertouch (e.g., received through a MIDI input from my Roland A-50 keyboard)?

#205339 - 10/03/04 09:42 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
I want to second the thanks to George for starting this discussion and giving us a heads up on an arranger that a lot of us have been waiting for (I play a G-1000 at church and look forward to the new capability of the Roland to see whether it would better fit the bill).

------------------
Graham

#205340 - 10/03/04 02:18 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

And Roland, how about doing your own work and create your own online support.

#205341 - 10/03/04 02:33 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

I did not think it would come to me agreeing with D'vision, but I can't help but agree to his proposal of on-line support - right now Roland's support is the worst on the market, and a major consideration I have AGAINST buying another Roland instrument.

As far as a dockable touchscreen - for arranger keyboards this is one stupid idea - while it may help the manufacturers cut costs of building a keyboard (making it all software based), it is totally inappropriate for an arranger keyboard, where the player relies on the tactile feedback from the buttons as an acknowledgement of his action. The touch screen can not provide that, and is therefore UNSUITABLE as the primary way to control an arranger keyboard. If workstation players like it, fine, but I believe all of us who perform singles, utilizing arranger capabilities, are in agreement about touchscreens.

I think it is time to close this thread, as it is getting too long.

REgards

#205342 - 10/03/04 03:51 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Touch screens are the future without doubt, the trouble with keys that use them now is the size of the screen. Hows about the big 3 buying a bulk load of 14 inch lcds to set a standard?

As for the bbs/forum thing, it makes sense for companies to do their own.

#205343 - 10/03/04 11:51 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
Wow! Those specs look mighty intriguing!!

Also, notice that Roland has given the G70 "16 bit linear" ROM samples. Yamaha's WAV ROM in their Arrangers are only sampled at 12 bit including the Tyros. So the G70 should sound very lush and very good with the higher quality sampled ROM.

and korg tritons and pa series have 48khz sampling rate(unlike 44.1 from both yam and roland -even it's fantom x series).that's why korg sound more clear,crisp and sweet OMHO on synth/pads/drums and electronic sounds.

#205344 - 10/03/04 11:58 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
Quote:
Originally posted by TresorTX:
Well, to ThePro..

I don't want to use my arranger like a workstation, I simply want to have my arranger to produce sounds of extreme quality such as in the Motif, and of much better variety.

I do.the best sound quality,editing,sequencer + arranger price wise now is PA 50.but again it's a little weak on arranger side compared to yammies but usuable (if you want all in one best).yes sound like a synth and have a good seq and editing.

#205345 - 10/04/04 02:55 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by TresorTX:
Well, to ThePro..

You may be a Pro, and me just an Amateur, but gimme a break dude.

Yes, I posted on another thread that I wish they would merge the Tyros+Motif. What's wrong with that. Let me reply to your 'Pro' comments.

"I've even read in other threads that the keyboard companys should merge the 2 types and have only one kind of keyboards. Everyone who doesn't understand the diference should at least try to get some more information about it."

...but you obviously did not read the post well enough to understand what I was saying.

Not that I wish Yamaha would merge the "two types", as you state in your post, (alluding to a desire for functionality of both machines in one) but rather I just wish that arrangers had the same variety and quality of sounds as is found in the workstations like the Motif.

As I stated, I am a happy PSR2000 owner, but I find the sounds very limited, and the important sounds like Piano to be flat and lifeless. Hard to understand seeing that Yamaha makes both machines. I don't want to use my arranger like a workstation, I simply want to have my arranger to produce sounds of extreme quality such as in the Motif, and of much better variety.

Sorry tresortx but it was me and not a Pro who made the post (I'm a car seller actually) "...but you obviously did not read the post well enough to understand what I was saying". I went back to find that I was not refering to you. I was not even refering this forum. And I was, obviously, NOT stating that "arrangers should not have the best sound possible". I only think that as we ask for more and more specs, namely the digital outs, we end up with a very expensive keyboard with a lot of things we do not use (see how many question the Variphrase on the VA for example). It happens all the time - whats good for someone its not good for other. You proove that when you say your happy with your PSR but feel that the sounds could be better. That's why I'm ready to accept that I can't have all I want on a keyboard and still be satisfied with it. Personally I recomend you to buy, if possible, a sound module (why not the Motif rack) so you can enlarge your sound options.
I still think that its good to have both types of machine so you can choose what's best for you.

I also agree that this thread should be closed. I'll post a G-70 question (about the sound) on the Roland Arranger Forum (you're also invited TresorTx).Anyone following please?
Regards

#205346 - 10/04/04 04:01 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Quote:
My whole point is this forum and a very high percentage of its posts are behind the times, with little desire for revolutionary products. Some members seem to get excited that the G70 has a colour screen, like we didn't get colour TV back in the 70s or computers in 1981 that used colour.

The real deal is that due to the cost of developing these keyboards and because compared to computers, keys sell in far fewer quantities, the manufacturers have to use technology that is several generations behind what you would find on the latest PC.

Just ideas, but these are the type of features that would be excellent, rather than shelling out 2 and a half K every 2-3 years for 'upgrades'.

shhhh.... man where are you from?
Probably you have the latest "Intel Sound Board" along with 24bit-192Khz sampling on your PC (the same that the manufacters of the Motif, Triton and FantomX had to copy !!!...). Or you have the latest CPU from Intel (the one no one has ever heard about yet) right from the building block instead of a 3,2-P4. Or maybe Intel stoped developing chips so you don't have to do "upgrades" every 6 month to keep in-time.
Do you really believe that you have the latest technology on your computer?
Stating that "the (music) manufacturers have to use technology that is several generations behind what you would find on the latest PC" its so stupid that I can hardly believe. Want some examples: search for Yamaha Vocaloid, Roland V-Sinth, Korg Legacy or the Line6 Variax just to mention a few of the most knowed. Or what about Roland GS format beeing licenced by Microsof (find out that on the Windows XP manual). Not to mention the digital S/PDIF signal beeing developed by Sony and Philips. Suddenly, you send all the research and development centers from the most important music manufacters right to your Recycle Bin. At least search for information about Bose beeing present in the Space Shuttle (it will take you closer to "light") and you'll get a very small idea of what music manufacters are doing.
And please ...BE REAL.

[This message has been edited by Minimix (edited 10-04-2004).]

#205347 - 10/04/04 10:38 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Quote:
Probably you have the latest "Intel Sound Board" along with 24bit-192Khz sampling on your PC (the same that the manufacters of the Motif, Triton and FantomX had to copy !!!...). Or you have the latest CPU from Intel (the one no one has ever heard about yet) right from the building block instead of a 3,2-P4. Or maybe Intel stoped developing chips so you don't have to do "upgrades" every 6 month to keep in-time.
Do you really believe that you have the latest technology on your computer?
Stating that "the (music) manufacturers have to use technology that is several generations behind what you would find on the latest PC" its so stupid that I can hardly believe. Want some examples: search for Yamaha Vocaloid, Roland V-Sinth, Korg Legacy or the Line6 Variax just to mention a few of the most knowed. Or what about Roland GS format beeing licenced by Microsof (find out that on the Windows XP manual). Not to mention the digital S/PDIF signal beeing developed by Sony and Philips. Suddenly, you send all the research and development centers from the most important music manufacters right to your Recycle Bin. At least search for information about Bose beeing present in the Space Shuttle (it will take you closer to "light") and you'll get a very small idea of what music manufacters are doing.
And please ...BE REAL.

Mini, me thinks youve got the wrong end of the stick entirely and have quoted products out of thin air that dont relate to arrangers, or reality for that matter, and have intentionally taken the topic of course onto a scene that is best left to blip and blop dance soundmakers. If NASA is using BOSE in the shuttle, its probably cause theyre the one of the few organisations that can afford the bloody stuff! LOL

Getting back to arranger keyboards, for want of some more down to earth ideas let's hear them, im all ears?

p.s. are these light-emitting companies still using SIMMS at all?

[This message has been edited by digitalvision (edited 10-04-2004).]

#205348 - 10/04/04 10:50 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

Quote:
Mini, me thinks youve got the wrong end of the stick entirely and have quoted products out of thin air that dont relate to arrangers, or reality for that matter, and have intentionally taken the topic of course onto a scene that is best left to blip and blop dance soundmakers. If NASA is using BOSE in the shuttle, its probably cause theyre the one of the few organisations that can afford the bloody stuff! LOL

Getting back to arranger keyboards, for want of some more down to earth ideas let's hear them, im all ears?

The main computers which control the Space Shuttle date back to the late 1970s. My son's calculator has more computing capacity than the three space shuttle computers combined (used for triple redundancy). Their mass storage consists of 100 KB of non-volatile memory (each). I believe there is a way to reload the memory contents, but this is normally not done in flight.

Nonetheless, they have proven reliability, and their software has been validated with many thousands of hours of testing. Most of all, they are quite adequate for the task they are intended to do. The same can be said about many of the keyboards (or other musical instruments). In fact, I had a turn of the century piano some time ago, which sounded and worked better than most Chinese wonders (no offence intended) which you would buy at a piano store today. Newer does not always mean better.

I believe the arranger keyboards' primary purspose is to provide quality reproductions of the sounds of real instruments. To that end, I find that any of today's high end (and many mid-line) arrangers have achieved near-perfection. Having a complex synth engine would only complicate life of a performer.

#205349 - 10/04/04 11:05 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Quote:
I believe the arranger keyboards' primary purspose is to provide quality reproductions of the sounds of real instruments. To that end, I find that any of today's high end (and many mid-line) arrangers have achieved near-perfection. Having a complex synth engine would only complicate life of a performer.

Alex you have just proven my point in there being no growth with arrangers. Let us all accept what there is, with no room for ideas or real new products. In fact if this is the thinking that permeates this bbs for arranger keyboards, it is no wonder why the companies keep putting out upgrades.

In all sincerity if you get past my obnoxious attitude LOL some players just might come up with some other ideas, or is this bbs just a sounding board for companies?

#205350 - 10/04/04 11:44 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
BillErickson Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex K:
In fact, I had a turn of the century piano some time ago, which sounded and worked better than most Chinese wonders (no offence intended)

Was that a 1999 or 2000 model??

#205351 - 10/04/04 11:45 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Quote:
Alex you have just proven my point in there being no growth with arrangers. Let us all accept what there is, with no room for ideas or real new products. In fact if this is the thinking that permeates this bbs for arranger keyboards, it is no wonder why the companies keep putting out upgrades.

In all sincerity if you get past my obnoxious attitude LOL some players just might come up with some other ideas, or is this bbs just a sounding board for companies?

Well, you still don't get it do you? You keep critising everyone on this forum but doing nothing. Have you sugested any New Feature for "those infiltrated guys from the industry that are reading this forum". Instead of picking examples from the air I gave you some really good ones.You just dont see further. For example Roland first released the VA-76 with Variphrase - the same they used after on the top-of-the line (and most aclaimed by every musician that understands technology)) V-Synth. Yamaha is one of the biggest producer of LSI technology- the same they use on their arranger keyboards. If you don't find the diference you're probably playing with a Casiotone. But "on the other end of the stick" at this forum, George started posting about a new keyboard - the G-70. YOU keep "intentionally taking the topic of course onto a scene that is best left to blip and blop". I wonder if you're not one of those "inflitrated guys".

P.S. By the way, Roland, for example, is using DIMMs and RISC processors on their products.

[This message has been edited by Minimix (edited 10-04-2004).]

#205352 - 10/04/04 12:38 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

Quote:

D'vision:

My post was intended to illustrate that you do not always need the latest and greatest technology to accomplish the necessary tasks. You can read into it whatever you want: that the earth is flat, that JFK was assassinated by the Queen of England, or that 2+2=17.

The majority of the arrangers are indeed repackaging exercises, with the emphasis being made on the user-friendliness, and ease of on-stage operation, as opposed to utilizing the new, unproven, and mostly useless musically, synth technologies - those are primarily used by the pre-sequenced acts. There is nothing wrong with the workstations: if you find them to be useful tools - more power to you.

I have outgrown the synthesizer about 15 years ago, and find that the joy of playing music is best afforded by an arranger keyboard. It is geared to helping one play spontaneously with an accompaniment of a virtual band. If you don't like it, that is fine with me too.

Have the arrangers improved from 10 years ago? - absolutely: the sound quality, the configurablity, storage and playback capabilities are all much better than they used to be. They contain more features useful for single or duo performers, such as audio inputs with effects, and vocal harmonizers. Are they "real" improvements? That is subjective - they may be real to me, but not to you, so let's agree to disagree here.

Are they revolutionary - not by a long shot, nor they have to be, IMHO. You can make an electronic violin, but I doubt that it will be more playable than a Stradivarius (or even a run of the mill $2000 instrument).

Is there room for improvement? I'd say that all of today's high-end instrument have traded off some of the user-friendliness for flexibility. It is the details of each individual implementation which make a difference. A packaging of a high-end keyboard can always incorporate more features.

Would I want to see Karma-like features in an arranger? Perhaps, but in my limited amount of interaction with Karma (tried it in the stores quite a few times), I found it not a terribly useful tool musically.

I am sure some of your ideas are good, but, like you said, they are awfully hard to see behind your obnoxious attitude. Perhaps if you toned it down a bit, your ideas would be taken more seriously.

#205353 - 10/04/04 12:42 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dnj Offline

Digvision.....can you post some of your songs I'd love to hear them..Mp3, Smf perhaps?

#205354 - 10/04/04 03:14 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
WOW ! no digi outs.. boy, I guess Roland really doesnt think its going to be used in studio then..

I guess for now im staying put with One Man Band software and my Motif ES7..
So far its working awsome using the sounds of my ES and sending everythin out via the firewire cable.. all 14 channels at once to cubase Sx... I think that I was just hoping Roland would definitely have covered the digital bases.. but again, who knows, it may just surprise everyone...I have loved roland sounds from the beginning. I used to own a Roland D20 and it was built like a tank. Roland stuff is top notch....But my ES7 and OMB7.1 set up is perfect for now. Lot of work with settings and all, but its worth the sound it produces....

------------------

Musikman4Christ........

#205355 - 10/04/04 05:03 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dnj Offline

Musikman I woud also love tp hear your songs also...can you share them with us?

#205356 - 10/05/04 10:31 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

DNJ try Broadjam, under UK artists and you will find us there somewhere

Alex -- the trouble i feel which is seeping through on many topics here is just accepting what is given. For some 'weird' reason, we get complaint postings that don't really affect a lot of players or postings that are staying within the bounds of 'reasonable prejudice of standards', which in other words is keeping a status quo or no one wanting to rock the boat.

Given that im largely a lurker here i would hope regulars would take the initiative and post real requests for products and maybe then i can have a peace of mind in knowing that the bbs was out for the punter, cause it doesnt look that way from the outside.

#205357 - 10/05/04 01:43 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
Lets try not to make this a yelling contest.

I would like to thank George for his input, this realy sounds like the board I have been waiting for.
Every player has different needs and preferences, thats why there are more choices out there.
To me, this board has all the goodies I need/want, and the professional quality and sturdiness that I am used to on my G1000

The question now is when and where can i get one????

#205358 - 10/05/04 01:56 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
R-F Offline

Loc: Berlin/ Germany
Hi,
I think, the G70s are available before Christmas, because it's the best time to sell keyboards (Easter it's unusal to give big gifts).
The presentations (in Germany) are in November and December. I think, it would be the same in other countries.
Today I received a music store's catalogue with the new G 70 and a price, like the initial VA 76 price (3000 Euro, the price, suggested by Roland is a little higher).
For a YAMAHA Tyros I found offers of 2700 Euro and less. So, you can compare, what G 70 price you may expect.
For me, a Roland could be interesting because I own many styles in Roland format too.

------------------
Regards
RF

#205359 - 10/05/04 02:08 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
tracknet Offline

If G-70 is only 300 euros more than Tyros (3000 against 2700 euros), it seems to me G-70 will be a better buy.., (more keys, better key feel, more modern, better building, card, etc. etc.
What do you think?

#205360 - 10/05/04 02:46 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Roel Offline

Arno,
You should have stayed here (The Netherlands) because nov. 2nd Roland demo-tours start and they expect them 'op de plank' only a few weeks later....

I might visit the first demo at Music All In (Noordwijk) I'm as curious as you are.

FB's price is 2899,- Euros

#205361 - 10/06/04 07:38 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
arnothijssen Offline

Loc: Marietta, GA USA
Wow Roel,

You guys get lucky again, first served.
I was just over there(netherlands a few weeks ago, i might have to come back for a demo/purchase.
Mmmm, wonder if they let you carry one of those puppies on the plane.

i am sure George will inform us as soon as they are available in the US

#205362 - 10/06/04 07:43 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

Quote:

Given that im largely a lurker here i would hope regulars would take the initiative and post real requests for products and maybe then i can have a peace of mind in knowing that the bbs was out for the punter, cause it doesnt look that way from the outside.

I think you have the misconception that we have some kind of influence over what keyboard makers include in their products. We don't... for example, we've all been saying that digital audio outputs would be welcome but obviously the G-70 doesn't have it so there's how much Roland listens to us (Korg's PA1XPro doesn't have it and I'd bet Yamaha's next pro arranger won't have it either). Never the less the G-70 includes V-Link technology, which nobody here asked for in an arranger to my knowledge, but it offers some intriguing possibilities for live multimedia performances that may truly set this arranger part from any other in the world. Now that's some spiffy hi-tech thinking, but the real question is who is going to setup to the plate and make use of this? And how? I'll bet Roland would be very interested to know that!

Probably the most radical, breakthrough, new-thinking-departure-from-everything-else keyboard that has ever been discussed here is the Open Labs nEko. When it was announced it appeared to be the end-all answer: a keyboard with nearly infinite hard/software and configuration possibilities that wasn't beholden to the big music companies for support. It's still all that but at such a price that nearly everyone thinks that a good laptop and a controller would offer more for the money. So there's the ultimate arranger for you: a laptop and a controller... you can design it to do anything you want - now what do you want it to do? And why?

IMHO manufacturers can only do so much when it comes to technology - by the time ANY product gets to us the technology that the product was designed around and programmed for, then finally manufactured and shipped is about 3-5 years old. Open Labs found a way to change that but darn few keyboardists of any kind have been willing to step up and buy one. It'd be different if they were selling like hotcakes - that's something that keyboard makers would pay attention to. But they aren't, and the hoopla has died down now, and the Tyros and Motifs' sales haven't suffered any because of the nEko to my knowledge.

The fact is that most arranger buyers/players aren't Buck Rogers or Keith Emerson and we're not touring or cutting Grammy-award winning albums. We're localized players that are kings of small clubs & restaraunts and private parties. My Yamaha 9000 Pro was discontinued earlier this year and technologically it was passed by other keyboards well before that. However, the instrument never fails to impress people in the audience nightly - some write down what it is, others quiz me endlessly about it's features... it might as well be the latest thing for the attention it gets. Or perhaps it's the way I play it. It doesn't matter - what does matter is that I generate enough income with this instrument to support my home and family in comfort. That's more important to me than digital audio outputs.

The question everyone wants to know has nothing to do with what keyboard features: it's what are YOU as a performer going to do with improved technology that is different from what we do with it today? Will you be playing restaraunts and private parties with a high-tech arranger or something radically different? What specific application is pushing your need for more? Because asking for more just for the sake of asking is just greed... but asking because it will make you a better performer and/or make a better living is the one of the reasons we're all here.

A V-Link arranger... if that doesn't make you stop and think then you don't need it...

[This message has been edited by The Pro (edited 10-06-2004).]

#205363 - 10/06/04 02:39 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
MusiKMan Offline

Loc: California, USA
TP,

Youre right. Im sorry if it seemed that im putting down this amazing arranger. I should not, just because it doesnt have Digi outs. Much beautiful and famous music has been made with out digital outs and youre right, that just makes others look down at it too.

Perhaps, for my needs digi out is a must. But like you mentioned, for others like yourself making an honest living playing live, it doesnt matter at all. I apologize and I accept the correction. Maybe I blame that on this Mlan thing that has perhaps spoiled me too much. But anyways, guys, if it helps you make awsome music. Hey, Thats our ultimate purpose right? SO, Rock on !!!

------------------

Musikman4Christ........

#205364 - 10/07/04 11:17 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Quote:
I think you have the misconception that we have some kind of influence over what keyboard makers include in their products. We don't... for example, we've all been saying that digital audio outputs would be welcome but obviously the G-70 doesn't have it so there's how much Roland listens to us (Korg's PA1XPro doesn't have it and I'd bet Yamaha's next pro arranger won't have it either). Never the less the G-70 includes V-Link technology, which nobody here asked for in an arranger to my knowledge, but it offers some intriguing possibilities for live multimedia performances that may truly set this arranger part from any other in the world. Now that's some spiffy hi-tech thinking, but the real question is who is going to setup to the plate and make use of this? And how? I'll bet Roland would be very interested to know that!

The influence comes in the form of cash and whether or not we part with it or not, and, when it comes to bbs, especially ones that have company reps as posters, there is the risk of the bbs serving as an early adopter/beta test site and relationships being made.

Companies like Roland obviously do market research and as much as one or two posts may be made about digital outs, if the market research doesnt fit, it isnt put in.

Being a Yamaha user, you will likely know that the G70 may need the Edirol DV-7PR Digital Video Workstation for the V-Link usage (not confirmed?)

Quote:
Probably the most radical, breakthrough, new-thinking-departure-from-everything-else keyboard that has ever been discussed here is the Open Labs nEko. When it was announced it appeared to be the end-all answer: a keyboard with nearly infinite hard/software and configuration possibilities that wasn't beholden to the big music companies for support. It's still all that but at such a price that nearly everyone thinks that a good laptop and a controller would offer more for the money. So there's the ultimate arranger for you: a laptop and a controller... you can design it to do anything you want - now what do you want it to do? And why?

Sounds like youve been on Yams for too long! If it were a large company producing this instrument, things maybe different, who knows from one product brave enough to tread into waters that the big fish are scared of. Remember, if people dont vote with their wallets, you will get apathy and thats really obvious on this bbs.

Quote:
IMHO manufacturers can only do so much when it comes to technology - by the time ANY product gets to us the technology that the product was designed around and programmed for, then finally manufactured and shipped is about 3-5 years old. Open Labs found a way to change that but darn few keyboardists of any kind have been willing to step up and buy one. It'd be different if they were selling like hotcakes - that's something that keyboard makers would pay attention to. But they aren't, and the hoopla has died down now, and the Tyros and Motifs' sales haven't suffered any because of the nEko to my knowledge.

As last comment. Your point about them using the latest tech isnt true. Just look at the memory types in keyboards and you will get a good idea.

Quote:
The fact is that most arranger buyers/players aren't Buck Rogers or Keith Emerson and we're not touring or cutting Grammy-award winning albums. We're localized players that are kings of small clubs & restaraunts and private parties. My Yamaha 9000 Pro was discontinued earlier this year and technologically it was passed by other keyboards well before that. However, the instrument never fails to impress people in the audience nightly - some write down what it is, others quiz me endlessly about it's features... it might as well be the latest thing for the attention it gets. Or perhaps it's the way I play it. It doesn't matter - what does matter is that I generate enough income with this instrument to support my home and family in comfort. That's more important to me than digital audio outputs.

The question everyone wants to know has nothing to do with what keyboard features: it's what are YOU as a performer going to do with improved technology that is different from what we do with it today? Will you be playing restaraunts and private parties with a high-tech arranger or something radically different? What specific application is pushing your need for more? Because asking for more just for the sake of asking is just greed... but asking because it will make you a better performer and/or make a better living is the one of the reasons we're all here.

Whether youre playing a lets say traditional instrument like a guitar, banjo, violin ..... IS VERY DIFFERENT to playing a keyboard that is really a computer with keys. You are then in a place like any computer user that you can expect new features and software that makes what you do easier, better and near bug-free.

As for a specific application that me or anyone else is out to get from these tech instruments, it is a desire for radical improvements and by that i dont mean upgrades. A good example the G70 has 190mb of samples, the previous top model had under 50.

Now, some poor git might go out and get £500 for their old model and pay another £2000 for the new one. You know how some players, esp here, are sticklers for details, thinking, hey this board has nearly 3 times the amount of sounds, its going to sound amazing, just like 3 years ago, when that 50mb bettered the model before it, which had only 24....

You get the picture, and it is playing an upgrade game, and my whole point is that if we keep expecting and buying upgrades without thinking about the basics and whether they have been thought about then we may as well keep what weve got. For the record, this whole 'arranger' matter is true of Yamaha, Roland, Korg to name a few.

The basics for arranger keyboards is chord recognition and styles and using those in whatever setting you see fit. You can improve upon those in many ways, and looking at models going as far back as '97, the basics havent been improved by much. More variations, fills, samples, colour screens, more buttons, buttons with lights or without, models with screens that tilt.

All those 'upgrades' obviously help, but you rightly asked what is the great need, and the great need and desire is to have features that make arranging better.

Styles could be improved with more use of being able to use samples, and even though Korgs have this and your 9000, it should be standard on anything above $1000. As should memories of 256mb for sample loading. They could also be improved by creating software that makes them easier to make and customise. Roland is doing this with the G70, but if its only as good as the VA then its not worth it. There should be computer software for this because it is complex. What about software that takes a MIDI file, you define the verse, chorus, bridge and it makes you a style in major and minor. This would hurt style sales of course.

As for improving other basic arranger features I guess that calls for some serious R&D, which is spent on arrangers and not on copying features from synths.

[This message has been edited by digitalvision (edited 10-07-2004).]

#205365 - 10/07/04 12:24 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dnj Offline

Quote:
DNJ try Broadjam, under UK artists and you will find us there somewhere

Ok Fine, but what is the NAME of your group?

#205366 - 10/07/04 01:36 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

dnj, if anyone has space here for holding a demo tune give me the address to upload to as using personal names on forums is silly (my credit card details were previously stolen on the internet).

#205367 - 10/07/04 01:48 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dnj Offline

email me the song I'll post it for you ok?

#205368 - 10/07/04 02:07 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Okay dnj thank you for the kind offer! Will over the weekend be fine with you as im working nightshift? LOL What size would be okay for email?

#205369 - 10/07/04 02:43 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
:What about software that takes a MIDI file, you define the verse, chorus, bridge and it makes you a style in major and minor. This would hurt style sales of course"

Technics has/had this capability built in to their keyboards for years. I think even Cascio has it. I remember converting styles from Roland G800 on my Technics KN5000 and it worked great.
DonM

#205370 - 10/08/04 05:51 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Okay dnj thank you for the kind offer! Will over the weekend be fine with you as im working nightshift? LOL What size would be okay for email?

10 MB is fine

#205371 - 10/08/04 06:34 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Uncle Dave Offline

Whew .... I can't read this post any more - my eyes are tired.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online