SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >
Topic Options
#205326 - 10/01/04 09:38 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
The G-70 does not have digital audio outputs. Hard to believe in an instrument of this caliber when digital audio has become so commonplace.

One interesting and unique aspect of the G-70 is the V-Link compatibility, which allows the G-70 to become a video controller. I'm wondering if the arranger styles can be linked to "video styles" so that improvisational freeform audio and video shows are possible?

Also I'm interested in more detail on the music notation display and how files can be entered into it.

But mostly I'd like to know what the G-70 is going to cost...

#205327 - 10/02/04 05:06 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Minimix Offline

Loc: Portugal
One of the most anoying thing in this forum is that a lot of members keep confusing the arranger/worsktation keyboard types and specs. I've even read in other threads that the keyboard companys should merge the 2 types and have only one kind of keyboards. Everyone who doesn't understand the diference should at least try to get some more information about it. No one working seriously on the recording/production uses an arranger unless for some kind of "scratch pad" notes. Why ? You can have a pro sequencer section in an arranger but you will never have the "4-stereo sampled tone velocity matrix switched high-end studio recorded sound patch" like the Fantom X. And why is that? You don't need it. The arrangers like the G-70 is focused on real-time music. The worsktation are focused on non-realtime performance - you don't want it in the studio - but on slow (calm???) midi and audio recording with high emphasis on the sound quality. That's also the reason why you have more and more real-time sound controls on the workstations so you can do some sort of "groove" when you play live with what you have previously recorded. The digital out is tipically a workstation feature althought we find it in more and more instruments. And, yes, the G-70 could or should have it. But do you really need it? What for? Do you have a "all digital inputs mixer/recorder"?. If you want do record the G-70 to MD you can also use the analogs. You will not find the diference. If you're professionally recording in the studio then you should have a Fantom and they have de digital outs. You can be a professional entertainer with the G-70 but you will never be a professional producer or engenier.

Regards

#205328 - 10/02/04 06:20 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
to the genesys Offline

There is really no reason that arranger and workstations can not be in one keyboard.
I agree that most production is still being done with a workstation because most people have not had experience with the sounds of an arranger, but that is no reason for not having the best sound engine and sequencer with the arranger function.

As usual, sounds are always subjective. I have met several persons who have the Korg Triton but still wanted my arranger for most of the sounds. Also they have said that they wished that the Triton had the arranger function so that they don’t have to go a buy another board.

#205329 - 10/02/04 06:28 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
The digital output thing is just an inexpensive addition that would have been nice to have considering this keyboard will sell for multi-thousands of dollars in the US. I mean, my Edirol PCR-1 controller is a $300 keyboard and it has optical digital audio output as part of it's headphone jack (so does the Fujitsu laptop I'm writing this post on for that matter). Yeah, yeah arrangers are for live use - I've made that point myself, but I don't see why cheap keyboards and commonplace laptops can have digital audio but mega-arrangers can't. For the money, digital audio could and should be included in the G-70.

#205330 - 10/02/04 08:45 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The touchscreen question has been answered and I was wrong. I know how much we enjoy sharing information with each other here at the Synthzone and when I've been given some new info I get it out as soon as I can.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#205331 - 10/02/04 10:26 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Wow! Those specs look mighty intriguing!!

Kudos! to Roland for giving such a generous amount of internal storage memory at the tune of 50MB! That is really a welcome sight for sore eyes!! Finally a Keyboard manufacturer who has listened to the pleas of Keyboardists desire and longing for a decent amount of internal storage memory! It makes the Tyros 3.3MB look very paltry in comparison. But with all that internal memory there is no way to load WAV, AIFF, or AKAI samples unfortunately.

Also, notice that Roland has given the G70 "16 bit linear" ROM samples. Yamaha's WAV ROM in their Arrangers are only sampled at 12 bit including the Tyros. So the G70 should sound very lush and very good with the higher quality sampled ROM. But unfortunately they didn't include a Digital I/O to go with it.

SRX expandability is a truly welcome sight but why couldn't they have added more than 'one' slot?? A little skimpy if you ask me but a welcome sight nonetheless.

A Touch Screen has been confirmed but using the G70 for live use may prove to be a rather challenging undertaking.

76 Keys is soooooooo nice!! I'm sure the Keybed will be luscious to play on! Roland is noted for their outstanding Key action and feel. Plus they should be true full-sized Keys too! Although looking at the pic of the G70 leaves me with a little uncertainty if they are indeed really true 'full-sized' Keys. We shall see...

Also the Adaptive Chord Voicing (ACV) seems to be more in line with Yamaha's extensive Chord recognition implementation on their Arrangers. Hopefully this means that the G70 will recognize and implement complicated and extensive Jazz chord voicings (rootless or otherwise). Extensive Chord recognition on Yammie Arrangers is a major reason I purchased the Yamaha brand instead of from one of the other manufacturers. This could change with the introduction of the G70 from Roland. Hopefully other manufacturers will follow suit. Although I am not certain Rolands Adaptive Chord Voicing (ACV) is what it is, or what I think and hope it is.

And lastly but not least is the weight matter. Notice that Roland did not put the weight specs on the spec sheet. Does that mean they don't have a 'fully' assembled proto type built yet? What we are seeing in the G70 pic is perhaps just a 'shell' of the production model? No guts, no finished proto type yet? So no way to list the weight specs...

Or perhaps Roland is still seeking ways to reduce the finished production model's weight hence the reason they didn't list it in the spec sheet? Perhaps a newly discovered composite material has been made available which is super strong and "super light" and Roland is considering utilizing it in the new G70?

The Roland Fantom X7 (76 key version) weighs only 32 lbs. Will the G70 be at least in the same ball park as the Fantom X7? If it is they will sell a boat load of them for that reason alone IMO. If it weighs in at 25 lbs. or under, it will indeed be an amazing feat by Roland if it does.

Best regards,
Mike

#205332 - 10/02/04 01:31 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
TresorTX Offline

Loc: Dallas, Boston, Orlando
Well, to ThePro..

You may be a Pro, and me just an Amateur, but gimme a break dude.

Yes, I posted on another thread that I wish they would merge the Tyros+Motif. What's wrong with that. Let me reply to your 'Pro' comments.

"I've even read in other threads that the keyboard companys should merge the 2 types and have only one kind of keyboards. Everyone who doesn't understand the diference should at least try to get some more information about it."

...but you obviously did not read the post well enough to understand what I was saying.

Not that I wish Yamaha would merge the "two types", as you state in your post, (alluding to a desire for functionality of both machines in one) but rather I just wish that arrangers had the same variety and quality of sounds as is found in the workstations like the Motif.

As I stated, I am a happy PSR2000 owner, but I find the sounds very limited, and the important sounds like Piano to be flat and lifeless. Hard to understand seeing that Yamaha makes both machines. I don't want to use my arranger like a workstation, I simply want to have my arranger to produce sounds of extreme quality such as in the Motif, and of much better variety.

Does anyone else agree? Russ

PSR S900
Korg PA1XPRO
Kurzweil PC3X
Logitech Z

#205333 - 10/02/04 06:49 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
digitalvision Offline

Loc: UK
Man, jeez, 116 posts on this topic so far. and I'm still waiting on a reply as to what the hell is NEW IN THIS KEYBOARD? Oh, 2 fills, colour screen, etc.......

Don't get me wrong, I'll post the same sarcastic stuff no matter who the manufacturer is, but this stuff is getting OLD, TIRED, why bother......

C'mon people, please DEMAND new features, not hand-me-down's from other products. Where's dynamic improvisational accomp's, karma-type features, etc. Let's hear some ideas as to how to make these products better.

Please do remember, and I'm as big a culprit as anyone that if you keep posting in this thread about this product, or any other product specific you're playing the game that manufactures want you to play.

Let's hear (HOPEFULLY IN NEW THREADS, WHICH I'LL GLADLY TAKE PART IN) about new ideas for arranger keyboards, where they're going, what WE WOULD LIKE TO SEE.

ANYONE?

#205334 - 10/02/04 09:16 PM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
The touchscreen question has been answered and I was wrong. I know how much we enjoy sharing information with each other here at the Synthzone and when I've been given some new info I get it out as soon as I can.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

George,

I for one want to thank you once again for posting the information about the G-70. I am convinced that the info you had posted you believed to be most accurate; besides, Roland's published product info really buries the meniton of touchscreen.

I hope you continue appraising us of the news in arranger keyboards (and other related topics), despite the disparaging comments of some of the posters here.

While I think that it is unfortunate that Roland decided to continue putting the touch screens on the arrangers (I would much rather prefer the screen navigation like on the Fantom (high density display with buttons underneath), I am going to reserve the judgement on usability of this instrument until I can play it myself. Still, It is good to have information about the instrument ahead of time, so that once I do lay my hands on one, I can pay more attention to the areas of possible concern.

Thanks again,
Alex

#205335 - 10/03/04 08:09 AM Re: Roland's New Pro Arranger - G 70
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by digitalvision:
Man, jeez, 116 posts on this topic so far. and I'm still waiting on a reply as to what the hell is NEW IN THIS KEYBOARD? Oh, 2 fills, colour screen, etc.......

What's new is all these features in a SINGLE keyboard.

Adaptive Chord Voicing, 76 keys, Virtual Tone Wheels, 16 bit Piano Sample, Color Screen, etc, etc.

Can you name me another keyboard that has all these features?.

hmmmmm?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Page 12 of 16 < 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online