SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204768 - 10/12/02 11:20 PM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Scott
Correct me if I'm wrong...take a look at page 112 of the Tyros manual @ the very bottom. I believe they have addressed the issue of the left hand freeze a little more directly...
Lou

#204769 - 10/13/02 12:16 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Lou, Wishing you a big WELCOME to our little corner of the world: arranger keyboard heaven.

In regards to page 112 of the Tyros Manual, this covers something different than what I was referring to. Page 112 covers the settings for the type of accomp section sound heard when the auto accompaniment is stopped ("Stop Accompaniment).

What I wanted to do is Freeze the 'left voice' when the auto accompaniment is on: 'running'. The GOOD news is that I recently found out the TYROS in fact DOES allow you to accomplish this. Claude (France), actually tested it out on his new Tyros and confirms it WORKS !

Here are the procedures:

1) Select (checkmark) only the STYLE parameter in the Freeze Parameters Window. Be sure to leave the VOICE parameter unchecked.

2) Turn on (activate) the Freeze button

After performing the above, you can select any Style and any of its 4 OTS registrations and all OTS voice setups will change EXCEPT the 'left' voice.

NOTE: Not only the Tyros, but the PSR2000 & 9000pro as well, allow you to freeze just the 'left voice' in the same manner. What I find strange is that this doesn't appear to be covered in any of the Yamaha manuals. Can anyone else find it?

- Scott

#204770 - 10/13/02 07:48 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
tracknet Offline

Hi all,

It seems Tyros is a good replacement for PSR9000, but not more. It has more Mb, but it seems those Mb are only for guitar megavoices. And, as some of you said, these megavoices aren't new on arrangers: ketron, roland have it.

But it seems to me Tyros is too high priced, I don't know if it is really a great buy for its price (comparing with PSR2000).

I like PSR2000 a lot, except for cheap keys and piano voice. I see some of you like that piano voice, but I don't, sorry: for my ears, Roland, Technics or Ketron do better. Similarly, I think Yamaha is the king on strings, woods, etc.

I have a remaining question. What is about piano voice on Tyros? Has Tyros a better piano voice than PSR2000? Better than PSR9000? Similar to 9k pro?

Is piano voice another reason to upgrade to Tyros (paying like 2 and half PSR2000 for it)?

#204771 - 10/13/02 08:14 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
trtjazz Offline

tracknet,
"Is piano voice another reason to upgrade to Tyros (paying like 2 and half PSR2000 for it)?"

If this were the only criteria for upgrading probably not. However there are alot of new features on the Tyros that other boards do not have or at the very least Tyros has done differently. While other boards may have similar to "mega voices" Tyros is different, because it is done the way Yammy does them. The color screen that is tiltable, music registration, music finder, the way the fills intros and endings work. While all boards share some things in common, they all do it differently and sound differently.

Is it worth $3K? Probably not, but I'm not sure I am convinced any board is worth any of the prices they get for them. The bottom line though, is that is what it costs if you want one (which I do) so each has to make their own decision as to relative value of any of these boards and whether or not we're willing to spend what it costs to buy in.

All the pros and cons posted so far is really all of us thinking out loud trying to convince ourselves as to whether the Tyros is worth it or not. For some it is for some it is not.

For those that just post to be nay sayers, I believe that is just them convincing themselves that the board they own is the right board, or are just sick of Tyros this and Tyros that......which I think they should be a bit more supportive of those that are excited about getting this new board, because their turn will come around when their cool new board comes out and they'll want us to be happy and supportive of them in their choice too, rather than just a bunch of negatives, just to be negative.
jam on,
Terry

#204772 - 10/13/02 09:29 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Ok Scott, I understand now. Maybe it wasn't covered in any of the manuals because it was a fortunate glitch.
Lou

#204773 - 10/13/02 12:19 PM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
To all you "Tyros slammers",
suggest you hold your judgements until you've actually tried it, agree with Terry!
SD1 is a great board, the reason I didn't buy it; the bass. It has a hard, "metallic" sound. Owned a MS100, and hoped for the bass to improve on the SD1, but it didn't. However, I still think Ketron make great boards, styles and sounds are in general very good!

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#204774 - 10/14/02 05:40 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Having seen the spec, reviews etc for the Tyros then the wife's going to have to hide the credit card when my 2000 goes funny, or the peer presssure gets too great!

There are places in the UK advertising the Tyros for <1700 pounds (eg www.musicalinstrumentmegastore.co.uk) which is only twice as much as I paid for the 2000!

(and thanks to Tony below for the fixed link!)

[This message has been edited by MacAllcock (edited 10-15-2002).]

#204775 - 10/14/02 06:08 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Jupitar5 Offline

Loc: United States
Mac, It is quite cheap there isn't it, and as low as £1625 if you use DEBIT card (£1657 with credit card) Link doesn't come out quite right Mac, so I've put a link direct to the Tyros itself from the same shop

Yamaha Tyros At Musical Instruments Megastore

Tony

#204776 - 10/14/02 08:00 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Catsailor Offline

Scott,

Do you know if the Tyros has separate volume controls for the melody and the accompaniment like the Technics KN6500? I like to be able to control the volumes of each with readily available controls from the keyboard without having to go into the menu. I think its a nice feature.

Thanks for the information you've been posting on the new Tyros. As always, your insight is greatly appreciated.

Peter

#204777 - 10/14/02 09:18 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Peter: Yes, on the Tyros you can quickly & easily adjust the volume levels for all parts separately: melody (rt1,2,3), left voice, and auto accompaniment. The mic volume, multipad volume, and song volume can also be adjusted here. All these volume level balances are conveniently located on the main window screen (not in some sub menu) and easily adjusted by physical buttons directly below. Another nice touch about the way Yamaha designed their volume balance feature is that you can QUICKLY get it to pop up any time from ANY other sub menu screen you might be currently in, by just pressing the BALANCE button. Very useful.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online