SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204748 - 10/11/02 10:26 AM 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I of course still LOVE my PSR2000, but I'm now seriously considering adding the Tyros to my setup. Here is my list of reasons (from a PSR2000 owner's perspective) to upgrade to Tyros:

1) Intro (3 ea) & Ending (3 ea) variations are now directly accessiable
via buttons instead of having to go into a sub menu.

2) COLOR 'moveable tilt' screen LCD easier to view than fixed
monochrome flat screen

3) Tyros: more foot control pedal configration options: Supports
multi pedal foot controlers. It even includes a dedicated screen
page for configuring the Yamaha MFC10 Midi Foot Pedal Controler
directly from the Tyros. The PSR2000 only supports limited functions
of the MFC10.

4) Keyboard action much better than flimsy kb feel of the PSR2000

5) The new Mega Voices (Strings: Bass, Guitar, violin, etc) sound
INCREDIBLE ! All the other sounds have been re-mastered as well.

6) Styles, though similar & many the same as on the PSR2000, have
been re-recorded at a higher midi resolution providing more punch &
realism, and sounds utilizing string instruments have been replaced
with the new mega voice samples.

7) Mic input volume knob has been moved from the back of the
keyboard to next to the Master Volume knob (a much more convenient
location to afford easy on the fly access).

8) Onboard USER Memory is now 3 MB rather instead of 1 MB on the
PSR2000. Still Would have preferred more, but . . .

9) Tyros supports an optional 'off the shelf' hard drive which
solves the limitation of #8

10) Tyros is relatively lightweight: 27 lbs

11) Real time Dynamic control of accomp parts volume. PSR2000
doesn't have this.

12) USB port to transmit data directly to/from your PC: no more
floppy disk transfers

13) Ability to access & edit Tyros control panel & instrument voices
& efx from your PC computer via Tyros PC software. COOL !

14) Yamaha 'Open Plug Technology' support allows Tyros sound editing
to be performed via 3rd party software like: Cakewalk Sonar &
Cubase.

15) The Tyros loads & plays PSR2000 format Styles w/OTS, as well as
well as loads PSR2000 Music Finder files (abeit minor tweaking)

16) Tyros board looks sleek: the rounded look is out and the angler
look is back.

Downsides to upgrading:

1) Tyros doesn't have on board speakers !
2) Though Tyros is only 3 lbs heavier, it is considerably larger in
size: length, depth, height, so not nearly as portable as the PSR2000
3) Two to three + times more expensive $ than the PSR2000 costs.

Anyone have anything to add, both pro/con?

Scott

#204749 - 10/11/02 10:38 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Key feel is a big key for me Scott. When playing live stuff, using arrangements for backing, and emulating solo's in particular, I actually preferred softer key feel. Now that I am trying to play other parts in real time, and in particular more backing tracks and rythyms I find that the stiffer action of my Motif is more to my liking. In fact, I have gotten used to it to the point that I play a lot less on my PA80's keys nowadays.

Styles are also an important part. I like the PA80 styles ok, but when I take any of the individual style parts out of the mix, they still sound too mechanical and quantised. If the Tyros resolution can help overcome that, I'm all for it. Equally important, if I want to add backing to a style via my own live play, I would expevt that beter resolution would give a more realistic reproduction as well. That kind of "shortcut", which would prevent me from doing a whole lot of editing to the resulting midi file later in, would be a welcome feature for me.

I didnt like having to do that sub menu thing to change the intro's / endings in the 2000 at all.

It also sounds like Yamaha may have added some ability to transfer files and data via direct connection to the computer. I like this. The Motif has this capability, and it has been a blessing for me. When I had the 2000, I was able to use XG works to edit sounds and other parameters, but I could not share files. Having similar capabilities to what exists on the Motif is certainly appealing.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 10-11-2002).]

#204750 - 10/11/02 11:04 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
cam8neel Offline

Loc: Providence, RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:

Downsides to upgrading:

1) Tyros doesn't have on board speakers !
2) Though Tyros is only 3 lbs heavier, it is considerably larger in
size: length, depth, height, so not nearly as portable as the PSR2000
3) Two to three + times more expensive $ than the PSR2000 costs.

Anyone have anything to add, both pro/con?

Scott

Unfortunately, number three on this list makes this keyboard a non-option for me.

Angelo

#204751 - 10/11/02 11:22 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
You forgot one major reason to upgrade from a PSR2000 to a Tyros Scott: double the polyphony!!!

If you can afford the Tyros, the choice between that and any PSR is a no-brainer (eBay will be loaded with used PSR's I predict). Undoubtedly the Tyros is a worthy succesor to the PSR line... now I'm looking forward to see what will replace the 9000 Pro in turn.

#204752 - 10/11/02 11:47 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
HI: Pro
I agree with you, I can't wait to see what
they will replace the PRO with.
All of the features of the Tyros, plus
sampler, 76 keys, expansion board slots &
much much more.

I Hope
Denny

[This message has been edited by dlstarry (edited 10-11-2002).]

#204753 - 10/11/02 11:52 AM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
trtjazz Offline

Scott,
another real pro to me....just getting a new board re sparks inspiration for me.
Terry

#204754 - 10/11/02 12:36 PM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
You forgot one major reason to upgrade from a PSR2000 to a Tyros Scott: double the polyphony!!!

Pro: You're absolultely right! 128 note polyphony is definitely a MAJOR reason to upgrade. I don't know how in the world I forgot to include that one at the top of my list.

Btw: The other COOL Tyros feature I forgot to include in my list is the ability for the Tyros auto-accompaniment to actually 'follow' your voice (speeding up or slowing down). This could prove to be a very useful feature as I frequently like to sing the verse of a song in 'rubato' fashion.

OK, now I got 18 reasons to upgrade to the Tyros:

17) 128 note polyphony (Tyros) vs. 64 note polyphony (PSR2000)

18) Tyros has auto accompaniment 'voice follow' capability

#204755 - 10/11/02 12:55 PM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Hmmmm... are we sure the auto-accompaniment can follow the singer's tempo or is it only midi files as they play back that can do that?

Also, it doesn't make any difference to PSR2000 owners because they can already do this, but the Scorch XF function on the Tyros would be another reason all other PSR owners would have to upgrade. That's the ability to display real sheet music on the display from Scorch XF music files. That feature will hook a lot of potential buyers if they know about it.

#204756 - 10/11/02 01:08 PM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Bluezplayer,
I agree with key feel.. These PSR's are pretty flimsy... If I'm not mistaken I think the Tyros has the same keybed as your Motif 6.. Oh yeah AJ, I got to take a Motif for a spin not too long ago.. WOW! what an amazing synth... Totally better than the older model I had (Yamaha EX-7).. The patches in that thing are awsome.. I love how they used the arps on some of the preset guitar patches too.. Even the patterns were really good.. They really nailed it by adding the 4 sliders too. The only gripe I had with the board compared to the previous EX model was that they dropped the numeric keypad, 2nd modulation wheel, and the ribbon controller... Other than that I thought that board kicked some serious butt...

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#204757 - 10/11/02 02:20 PM Re: 16 Reasons to Upgrade to Tyros (from a PSR2000) !
Scottyee Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by The Pro:
Hmmmm... are we sure the auto-accompaniment can follow the singer's tempo or is it only midi files as they play back that can do that?

Hi Pro, you're right, I stand corrected. I just confirmed that indeed it's midi files (and only a specialized type at that), and not the arranger auto accomp, that will follow your singing or playing.

Squeak & AJ: I concur with your concerns about Tyros' keyboard action, but no matter what, I'm guessing that just about anything is going to be better than what I got now on my PSR2000.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online