SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#204455 - 10/25/04 07:29 AM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Dave is right. Each time I've become a little bored, a new song, style, arrangement,
etc. made things fun and exciting again.

After a particularly hard week in the mid-seventies, I was driving to work and heard Masquerade by George Benson. I was familiar with this tune (The Carpenters, Leon Russell). This gave George Benson a whole new career, with the "Breezin" album and made me appreciate what innovative arrangements can mean.

There have been many other experiences that add new excitement, including the advances in equipment. If you never stop learning and experimenting, the slumps will dissappear.

Best of luck!

Russ

#204456 - 10/25/04 09:24 AM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Quote:
Originally posted by capt_doug61:
Hi all,
I'm mostly a beginner and need some advice.
Doug

Hi Doug,

Are you taking lessons?

I advise taking lessons with a beautiful young female teacher!!

All kidding aside, one of the reasons I study with a music teacher learning jazz at age 49 is for inspiration. I find a coorelation between how much I practice and how much inspiration I get from my teacher.

When I'm struggling with a piece, he sits down and plays the hell out of it and I just sit there with my mouth open agasp! His chops and talent inspire me to work harder, practice longer, and not miss a lesson.

However, I do suffer burnout by playing too much. When I have 3 four hour jobs in a week, I can't bring myself to practice. My teacher tells me not to worry about it because I've already practiced 12 hours!!!!

Stay with it Doug, it's what separates the bees from the wanna bees!!!

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#204457 - 10/25/04 09:56 AM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Doug, don't feel too bad. I've been there and experienced the same MANY times over myself. Music is a lifelong path of discovery and we can only master a bite at time. Take the time to taste all the various entrees on your plate and eventually you'll have enjoyed a thoroughly satsifying meal. I often face stumbling blocks when faced with a particularly challenging song project, but find that by letting it go temporarily, and working on some other aspect of music, from working on another song, or other aspect of music making, or even listening to a music CD, or going out to see music performed live) can provide added perspective & inspiration for you to come back and work past your current slump. Doug, rest assured that your feelings are normal. Don't give up on music.

Scott

#204458 - 10/25/04 10:11 AM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
going out to see "music performed live" can provide added perspective & inspiration for you to come back and work

I do this all the time ....It Works, Try it !!

#204459 - 10/25/04 10:24 AM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Instead of boring exercises, try fun exercises. My organ teacher, of 25 some years ago, asked me to buy a book of jigs and reels, and to work on these pieces. They were fantastic finger exercises, they had to be played quikly,but not boring, because they were an actual song, not an exercise. After "practicing" on these jigs and reels my fingers would burn from the workout.
Like U.D. said, mix it up. I might start practicing a piano piece in full keyboard mode (no arranger), get bored, and play that same song with the arranger. This reinforces the right hand, or I might play some other song I know.
Starkeeper

#204460 - 10/25/04 10:51 AM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
Doug...this may not be the suggestion you're looking for, but for myself, when a slump hits, or I'm experiencing inspirational melt down, I do something else entirely, maybe even for a couple of days, then go back to it with a clear head.
Just my thots...

------------------
...L

#204461 - 10/25/04 11:45 AM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
capt_doug61 Offline

Loc: Texas
Thank you all so very much for the help
and suggestions. Much of what has been
said has helped me to get an overall
clear picture.
I realise that I'm not alone out there
in a world of beginning music students.
I'm a late starter(age 42)& do plan on
sticking with it. What music gives me
is something that is too powerful to
let go.

All my best,
Doug

#204462 - 10/25/04 12:50 PM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
I agree with most of what's been said...Keep it fresh, one way or the other...will almost always keep one from getting bogged down.

Also, remember the following:

IYADWYADYAGWYAG

(Anybody know what that means?)

Bill in Dayton

#204463 - 10/25/04 12:58 PM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
If you always do what you always do, You always get what you always get???

#204464 - 10/25/04 01:04 PM Re: Practice/Playing Slumps
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
Outstanding!

Bill

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online