SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#204398 - 01/28/07 03:40 PM Re: Playing arranger with other instrumentalists
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am afraid that, in my area (Panhandle of FL), there are FAR more working guitarists as singles than keyboard players. Perhaps, because of the number of full bands already working, when a club or restaurant only wants a solo, they are looking more for acoustic music or singer/songwriter type music, rather than a 'full band' sounding solo artist. The karaoke aspect makes many stay away from it.

It has been easier (and more rewarding) to book myself as a duo and up than as a solo. Admittedly, I am not working the old folks circuit, where arrangers get more work, most play country/folk, Buffett and tropical music 'round here, and the more, the merrier.

I got to feel sad for anyone that prefers solitary music-making just for the money. Keeping things fresh is, in the long run, far more satisfying and less likely to make you want to quit music and work in an office or sell real estate!

You MIGHT not make as much money, though most of the best-paid entertainers in my area play in bands, but you will stay loving music for longer.....

#204399 - 01/28/07 03:44 PM Re: Playing arranger with other instrumentalists
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I wholeheartedly agree with Don and Ian. I began playing in a group when at 17, picking out leads with a 6-string electric. Never made enough money to pay for gas, cigarettes and booze back then. Things didn't change much until I went solo. Then the jobs began coming in on a regular basis. When I was playing the clubs, there wasn't a night that went by when someone didn't come up and tell me they were a guitar player, bass player, drummer, sax player, etc., and was I interested in doing some duo or trio work with them. It didn't take long to discover they were not working, I was, and they were looking for bookings.

Now I only do the clubs once in a while, lots of private parties, lots of nursing homes, assisted living centers and retirement communities. Those folks are probably still out there looking for work.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#204400 - 01/28/07 03:48 PM Re: Playing arranger with other instrumentalists
Dnj Offline

Ian, Don I totally agree times have surly changed big time....after 20 yrs of 7pcs....& now for the last 16 as a
Power Single it is so much more lucrative, creative, & self satisfying in so many ways.. I would never look back or have any regrets or desire at all to play any other way then with my Arranger, Laptop,
& my Voice.

#204401 - 01/28/07 04:05 PM Re: Playing arranger with other instrumentalists
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I have never worked the "old folks" circuit, although I do have great respect for those who do.

Preferring solitude and being lonely are two different things...I find it much easier to be creative when I am alone...others may differ, but that's what makes all this so interesting.

I don't do the vocal thing, so it is hardly a Karaoke gig, and I rehearse enough to keep things fresh and interesting....that's why I'm always gigging I guess, and the constant work keeps me aware of what people want...I always keep a record of requests I may not know at the time and I learn the tunes.

It all boils down to personal satisfaction and contentment to me...why be unhappy playing in a band if it's not what you really want, and it isn't what I want.

No reason for anyone to feel sad for me in my solitary method of making music...I am content...I don't really care if it is not anyone else's idea of how I should go about it...it works for me and it works very well.

Some people need other musicians on stage with them because they are too insecure to go it alone and take all the responsibility... and that's fine too, as long as they are content with it....some want the camaraderie...that's cool too.

Again, it all boils down to what works for each individual...for me it is a solo gig that makes me happier....the extra money is just a sweet by product.

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

#204402 - 01/28/07 07:56 PM Re: Playing arranger with other instrumentalists
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by ianmcnll:
Some people need other musicians on stage with them because they are too insecure to go it alone and take all the responsibility... and that's fine too, as long as they are content with it....some want the camaraderie...that's cool too.

Again, it all boils down to what works for each individual...for me it is a solo gig that makes me happier....the extra money is just a sweet by product.

The strange thing is that these solo musicians, although ostensibly they secure enough in themselves to play alone, are desperately trying to sound as if they DO have a bunch of guys onstage, playing with them.... Almost as if they don't have enough confidence in what they play to eschew the automatic backing.

If solo creativity is what you crave, get a piano and just play that. Plenty of great musicians have made a name (and a living) by doing just that. But if you feel the need for full arranger backing, you are basically admitting that you AREN'T strong enough to go it alone. Or that what the audience REALLY wants is a real band, but the club's finances or the performer's greed or insecurity about playing with others dictate that path. Don't try to pass it off as preference unless you are willing to TRULY go solo.

Very few of the great performers of out times preferred to play alone, other than a few pianists and guitarists, and most of them split time between solo work and ensemble. They felt the need to recharge their creative juices from time to time, and when they played solo, they played solo, NOT to a backing track.

Maybe I'm just lucky, and have had the privilege of playing with musicians that made me WANT to keep playing with live players, that could NEVER be comparable to the canned phrases that come out of arrangers. Your mileage may vary.

-------------------------------------------------

If the above sounds a little harsh, please forgive me. It's just that I've never been accused of preferring to play with others as a crutch to my insecurity!

No man is an island......

#204403 - 01/28/07 08:46 PM Re: Playing arranger with other instrumentalists
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Certainly nothing you said sounded harsh to me Diki, and please be clear on the fact that I did not accuse you of "preferring to play with others as a crutch to my insecurity"

If you put yourself in that category, it was your own doing, I was merely generalizing and if I offended you, I am sorry.

I don't want to play a piano and be famous...I want to play an arranger and make a living on my own terms, not yours, not anybody's.

If you have been lucky enough to play with good people, than that's wonderful...more power to you!

I have enough confidence in my playing to use automatic backing, and my rules for playing are made by me, not you.

You are very far from being an authority on what works for me in my musical world...my only suggestion would be to follow your own advice and apply your rules rigorously to your own world.

If you are busy happily doing your own thing, then you shouldn't have time left over to tell me how to do mine...

All the best,

Ian

------------------
Remember to leave good news alone.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online