SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#204179 - 10/17/03 11:48 PM Web Based Calendar & Addressbook : Safe (and secure)?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
How safe is it to store your addressbook, calendar & other personal information on a remote web server? I currently use Microsoft Outlook 2002 to store my personal calendar & addressbook information, but it's now also possible to store and manage all this on a web based server such as offered by Yahoo, AOL, SBC, and many other web based email clients. The only thing you must remember is your User ID and password. The BIG advantage to storing all this info online (vs locally in Outlook or Outlook Express) is it gives you quick & convenient access to your calendar & addressbook from ANY computer in the world. This just isn't possible when your calendar & addressbook is stored only in Outlook/Outlook Express, on your home computer.

A web based Calendar & Addressbook is particularly handy when you're out of town on business or vacation, but 'how safe' is it is to store your personal information on a remote server like this? Advice and feedback appreciated. Thanks. - Scott

#204180 - 10/18/03 01:00 AM Re: Web Based Calendar & Addressbook : Safe (and secure)?
elle Offline

You need a "trusted" party (keeping tight internal security procedures, which possibly a business service rather then a consumer type service.

Secondly you might consider a stronger form of authenticaton than just Name&PW.
A digital certificate stored on your USB keyring device comes to mind;

Another option is the remote access to your PC

#204181 - 10/18/03 02:22 AM Re: Web Based Calendar & Addressbook : Safe (and secure)?
trtjazz Offline

How safe can someone like Yahoo be with personal info when they not too long ago fessed up to planting spyware on peoples pc's that use their services, like the Yahoo groups?

Carry a laptop or pda with you with that info on there and you'll know for sure that you are the only one with access to it.
Terry

#204182 - 10/18/03 06:37 AM Re: Web Based Calendar & Addressbook : Safe (and secure)?
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I never leave home without my Palm Pilot. I sync it up to the pc b4 bedtime and everything is set to go again.
I recommend it highly for those who travel and need contact info on the run.
I use the Palm M130(under $200)

#204183 - 10/18/03 09:09 AM Re: Web Based Calendar & Addressbook : Safe (and secure)?
elle Offline

I knew that!
I totally knew that!

seriously, UDave is right: simple is better.

#204184 - 10/18/03 10:10 AM Re: Web Based Calendar & Addressbook : Safe (and secure)?
Scottyee Offline

I too own & use a Palm handheld unit (Palm IIIC) and regularly sync it to my desktop Outlook app. I had been primarily considering using the web based calendar & contact system (as a backup) when I'm out of town and might have forgotten to take the Palm (it's actually happened on occasion ). It appears that from what I'm hearing from you guys, that, even with password protection, that storing personal information on a web based server may not be that safe or secure. Thanks to everyone for your valued advice & feedback. - Scott

#204185 - 10/18/03 11:15 AM Re: Web Based Calendar & Addressbook : Safe (and secure)?
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I have a digital pocket record. You just need to get in the habit of carrying it around. $40- $60.

#204186 - 10/18/03 11:30 AM Re: Web Based Calendar & Addressbook : Safe (and secure)?
Scottyee Offline

The TRICK is finding the space in our pockets to hold all our toys.

As Mae West said: "Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

- Scott

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online