SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#204066 - 12/16/01 09:21 AM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I feel as if I should contribute something here. Here's a couple of elementary tips on operation and some random thoughts:

Regarding "silence"--many players new to PSRs don't know that, when in a fingered acc mode, if you hit three adjacent notes in the chord section, everything stops except the drums. This is quite useful for doing exactly what Uncle Dave said. There are many songs that call for this (Land Of A Thousand Dances, What'd I say, etc.) and this is merely a shortcut to killing everything except the drums. Of course it doesn't work with one-finger or multi-finger modes.
Which brings to mind another point. It's easy when you first go to an arranger keyboard from another instrument, say a trumpet, to use the one-finger mode. Do yourself a favor, and spend a day or so learning to play the full chords. One-finger mode only recognizes a very few chords and will dramatically limit your progress in becoming an arranger musician. I'm not saying there aren't valid uses for one-finger mode, but it is essential to your musical growth to learn the chords.
Also, there is another side to arranger playing, especially for those who have limited right-hand skills. Let the arranger play. You can work with the volume levels on the individual style parts, bringing up, say a piano part for one song, increasing the guitar part on the same style for another song or a different section of the same song. Save your changes to registration. This adds variety to your repertoire. Be careful not to overplay the right hand. If you can't play something that is complimentary to the song you're doing, SIT ON your right hand and let the arranger do the work. Just play simple lead lines when the solo comes. As your skills improve, start doing more of the playing yourself, becoming careful to add to what the arranger is doing, not undermine it.
You will need to learn to think like a guitar player, or a sax man when using those instruments. Often converted piano players have a hard time adjusting to arrangers because they are not used to having the "help" of the arranger section. Either turn off the arranger, or use it to your advantage.
Another tip that someone MAY not know, on most PSRs and many other brands, pressing the + and - keys simultanously will set the selected parameter to the default setting.
For instance, each song has a default tempo, the transposer defaults to zero, the effects have defaults settings, and this "trick" immediately resets.
DonM

#204067 - 12/19/01 09:10 AM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
stillme Offline

Loc: Michigan/US
One of the very important things I can say about music is that you can't let anyone bring you down and destroy your dream. If you are a real musician, you know it. Don't let anyone else try to tell you different. There will always be someone out there that doesn't like your music. But what you have to realize is this...there are also thousands of people out there that WILL like it. Don't let someone that likes heavy metal put down your classical, or vice versa. My husband often tells me my music is boring. (I play a combination of classical, soft rock, blues, jazz, and classic rock) Coming from a guy who listens to heavy metal and some old rap...I tend not to let it bother me. Remember, if you enjoy your style...so will others.

Also, a real musician never lives a moment without music. Music follows them around like an aura...always there, always a work in progress. I'm always composing, at work and out on the go. I'm learning now how to be able to write music when I'm away from my keyboard. That way, I don't lose songs by forgetting them before I get a chance to get home and record them. Getting to know what notes are what when you haven't an instrument is hard, at least for me. But it is a good idea to study this as well.

A musician can sit there and anylize a piece...try to imagine what the person was thinking when they wrote it...studying every note and every expression the musician had made in the piece. For me, music has always been a study. "That's great how he did that drum solo", or, "Listen to the way the pianist paused in that one spot to allow the audience to linger on that one moment, letting it fade before he finishes the piece." Study other musicians' styles. Every musician is made from the combined styles of others that they've listened to their whole lives...really listen to theirs.

One thing I always do when I burn my pieces onto a cd is listen to them endlessly in the car on the way to work, or where ever I go in the car. Then I can study my own work and figure out what I want to change, or what I want to add. Always a work in progress. Always always...

Another thing I want to add is how a song may be ruined when one tries to make it too complicated. Sometimes the most beautiful songs have a simple melody, a simple beat. I once used to make the mistake of trying to make my music as complicated as possible. Perhaps trying to show my potential as a musician. Like saying, "Look what I can do!" Well, lately I've been concentrating on making a simple melody, and adding just enough layers to enhance that melody, not to bury it!

Well, hope this all makes sense. I've been a musician my whole life. Music has always been major to me. It wins out over anything else, always.

-Tracey

#204068 - 01/13/02 02:13 PM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
Mario Offline

Loc: Wayside, New jersey, USA
Ladys and Gentlemen:
Today is Jan 13, 2002. Today I am sitting here reading and reacting to several posts started on Dec.12, 2001 by Uncle Dave, Tracy, Bsharp and others in the subject of "peforming and playing music" in general. kind of late for my response, but better late than never. First, let me thank you guys for taking the time to offer such a comprehensive and profound insight into the subject.
Music, (behind my dear wife)is the # 1 thing in my life and I take quite seriously. I have 35 years in the business and, at 59, I am very thankful that I am still able to make a living and enjoy it at the same time. Your thoughts an suggestions on the subject are so refreshing and helpful that I've decided to print them and compile them for future reference; specially for those days when I feel discouraged (and eventually we all do)I need some reasurance and encouragement to continue. You guys are definitely are versed on the subject extremely well and I identify with you in so many ways that is scary. To UncleDave who, I heard is writing a book, make sure this is one become part of its chapters. Just on this subject alone, you have a future book buyer.
Thanks agan, and sorry for the late reaction.
Mario

#204069 - 01/13/02 02:48 PM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
Anonymous
Unregistered

PRESERVING YOUR VOICE

Something Uncle Dave said a while back really hit home with me last night. And that is resting the voice on breaks. Last night I did a party of about 170 and on every break it seemed I could barely get off stage before I was beckoned to a table. The noise level was such it felt like a strain to hold a conversation...and I felt it when I went back on. I don't want to be inaccessible to anyone, but ducking out the back the door for the breaks was very tempting.

"Schmoozing" with the audience is an incredibly important part of what many of us do...but if the breaks are as strenuous on your voice as performing, it might be a good idea to weigh the consequences and disappear once in awhile.

#204070 - 01/13/02 03:36 PM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
That's definatly a "Catch22" in the biz. You have to greet your fans, but you have to save your pipes too - tough to do.

#204071 - 01/13/02 04:11 PM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
To UncleDave who, I heard is writing a book, make sure this is one become part of its chapters.

This is certainly news to me because UncleDave started 'this' thread (in the first place) as a 'RESPONSE' to my earlier thread where I had announced that "I" was working on a book about 'arranger keyboard playing'.
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/002534.html

It appeared to me that the purpose of this thread (initiated by Uncle Dave) was to steer people away from my book project idea, suggesting that he had a "better idea", suggesting that instead, that we all write the book together: "chapter by chapter".

I admire & respect UncleDave's long music experience & knowledge, but if UncleDave's 'REAL' intent was just to re-direct people's interest away from my initial thread because he was coming out with a book of his own, then I think it was an 'under handed' approach to discourage interest in my book project in favor of his. I truly hope I'm wrong about this because I thought this forum was supposed to be supportive of fellow forum members. Uncle Dave? Please clarify.
- Scott

#204072 - 01/13/02 05:02 PM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
Uncle Dave Offline

Scott,
Loosen your laces, buddy. This is NOT about you.

First of all - I've mentioned before the idea of writing a book of "experiences" not a tech manual, and it's not a priority....just a goal for sometime in the future. I've kept running notes on interesting situations for a long time now ... they will probably sit for a longer time.

Second - Who cares if I write or you write or NO one writes? If you feel qualified or motivated to write a book ..... be my guest. What I do, or don't do is not an issue.

Third - My "idea" thread was not aimed at you in any way. I thought we could all share many diversified ideas in a common place. I still think we can all benefit from the experiences of others. (Underhanded ??? C'mon .... that was harsh)

You take things too literally, and you quote too much, and you research too much, and you just plain FUSS too much. You need to stop reacting like we're all addressing YOU personally. (and please - NO more about your precious Steinway "B" !!!)

I respect the fact that you have a passion for your trade, but you need to calm down. Unless I address a post to you - please don't assume that you are on my mind. I'm just trying to spread a little knowledge around so that others can get some "easy" lessons from what I've learned the hard way. That's all. You and I are NOT competitors.

I'm sure that in your own little world you are well liked and respected, but you are not the "answer" for all the future arranger users. I don't even like to think of myself as an "Arranger player" - I'm NOT - I'm a musician that USES an arranger keyboard. ( and not always either) It's not such a mysterious art form ... it just takes another kind of motor response to add to keyboard technique. I don't think the average musician is cut out to "arrange" an entire band (even a "band in a can"). Many of the players that I admire the most are NOT good at the solo gig. It's a different mentality, and it's one that needs a "born-in" knack to master. All musicians are not arrangers, just as all players can't be teachers. Reading a book will never make it easy to "lead the band" - you have to have the feel for it.

It's pretty obvious that something about me gets under your skin, and I'm sorry about that, but I have a lot of years in MANY different aspects of the biz to share, and you know what .........these little arranger keyboards are such a small part of what's important in the big picture, I just can't get that excited. Please don't drag this through the mud - it's not a challenge. You can still write your book - I won't stand in the way.

I just like to contribute what I know to the pot. If you've had enough of me - that's OK. I know I bring a lot to the table, but it's not for everyone's taste. I'm a WYSIWYG kind of person - no hidden agenda's - no secrtes. This is what you get. Let's not bicker - there's plenty of room for all of us to state our thoughts. It's up to you to act on what you think is right for you - that's all.

Still friends?

#204073 - 01/13/02 07:16 PM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok, I apologize if I appeared over reactive in my response, but I had never given the issue much of a thought until I read Mario's post here. UD, in fact, if you do write a book, I'll probably be first in line to purchase it. Gotta go play my Steinway now.

#204074 - 01/13/02 07:46 PM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
Uncle Dave Offline

Scott,
I'm just as proud of my new guitar as you are about your piano. Don't hold your breath waiting for ME to complete a book project. That's a task I'm saving for retirement .... yeah - That'll happen!
Did I ever tell you that when my 8 yr old (Allison) was born, I did the math and figured out that I have to sing 400,000 more songs before she's out of college?
Sure ..... I'll retire ........ right.

(I really do hope we're still ok, Scott)

#204075 - 01/13/02 09:45 PM Re: "You're gonna wanna know this !"
Kmac Offline

Whoa

Cool it asking for clarification in a forum isn't exactly unheard of . I don't feel that your tone was appropriate.

example
"You take things too literally, and you quote too much, and you research too much, and you just plain FUSS too much. You need to stop reacting like we're all addressing YOU personally. (and please - NO more about your precious Steinway "B" !!!)"

It was laced with sarcasm and I didn't feel that you substantiated any of the claims that you made about Scott. You want the bickering to stop? Then why don't you lead the way - you're the respected elder of this forum and I expect all little a bit more from you. You want to talk about someone taking things to literally, being fussy take a look in mirror. You obviously put some serious thought into the post. hmmmm that's kind of fussy don't you think?Talk about calming down - please. You're the one trying to make this forum competitive.

I've been reading post on this forum since it began and I've learned allot from many people and I hope that it can continue to be a positive experience for everyone.
I think that you may have second thoughts about your post and that's why you've started the Olive Branch Thread. Nice gesture

Let's all use this forum for the real reason it was created - Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online