SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#204007 - 10/04/04 07:11 AM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I'd like to throw one piece of advice out on a take it or leave it basis:

I used to work at a music store and I sold Peavey and JBL speakers among others. One of our senior sound engineers setup a demonstration one day: he setup Peavey's best speaker cabinet at the time (a 15/horn, I don't remember the model) and JBL's cheapest in the same cabinet size with a 31-band EQ and frequency analyzer. He challenged us to EQ the cabinets for a nearly-flat response. It took a radical EQ setting to get this from the Peavey, and nearly no EQ to get it from the JBL. The point was that it was much easier to get a balanced response from JBL's than Peaveys - that's why JBL's are more expensive. I later did this same test with my Bose 801's and JBL EON's, which prompted me to switch to the EON's. This isn't something you can tell just by listening, and it's especially important for keyboardists because without a balanced frequency response you will have some notes "stick out" while others won't be heard. It also makes in difference when trying to solve mic feedback problems.

All I'm suggesting is to see if you can duplicate this test yourself with any speakers you are considering.

#204008 - 10/04/04 08:40 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Buy cheap ....sound cheap I always say

Hey Donny, I agree. That's why I play a Tyros with two JBL Eon 10G2's for my small to medium gigs. Zing-Pow. lol

ThePro: Thanx for the ideas. I'm always like to look from all angles. You were my main influence in getting the JBL Eon 10G2's, and I have always been super happy with them.

I did notice in the seemingly short time that I tried the PR12's that some voices sounded outstanding while some seemed to be very low on volume. One's that I didn't expect like trumpet, sax, trombone. I presummed it require a more thorough eq'ing.

So do you think it will be possible to even it all out?

Part of my needs are rather light weight equipment. 29 pounds would be great. The sx100+ is 32 lbs,but only 200 watts, so I see no real advantage over my 175 watts eons.

The JBL Eon 1500's interest me, but the weight of 38 pounds combined with the bulkiness doesn't thrill me at all.

The Barbetta 32c's kind of interest me. Rather expensive. I'd definately need to try these out first as I've heard both good reviews on these and also heard they sound kind of boxy and distortion is sometimes a problem. Plus, it is a small company. Who knows their future?

Interesting to note for Yamaha players. There's a place here in Pensacola that has a pretty good selection of speakers, but the first and last time I shopped there, they had only one of each speaker out, and would not bring out the other. ha! So I would try a JBL with a Community etc. Nuts.

Scott

#204009 - 10/05/04 05:53 AM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Dnj Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Hey Donny, I agree. That's why I play a Tyros with two JBL Eon 10G2's for my small to medium gigs. [/QUOT

Tyros, played it many times ...big deal...not much diffeence then the 3k ..and costs so much more...10" or 12" speakers without a sub will never cut it in my shows...

Scott honstly, Its all in THE TALENT my friend, gear means squat, ya gotta have it inside you to sound good.....thats the bottom line..."then" add some good equipmet and your on your way theres no gurrantees.
DON'T LISTEN TO ANYONE BUT YOUR "OWN" EARS....GOOD LUCK!

#204010 - 10/05/04 05:58 AM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:

I did notice in the seemingly short time that I tried the PR12's that some voices sounded outstanding while some seemed to be very low on volume. One's that I didn't expect like trumpet, sax, trombone. I presummed it require a more thorough eq'ing.

So do you think it will be possible to even it all out?

Scott

Possibly... maybe or maybe not... but the point is why go to the effort? If it's going to take a radical EQ setting to compensate for the speaker's shortcomings then you're better off buying something that gives you a fairly balanced sound in the first place. I doubt if any speaker is perfect, but some are less perfect than others.

Glad you are enjoying your JBL EON10's - I enjoy mine and still believe they are a good investment.

#204011 - 10/05/04 08:17 AM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My experience with the Peavey PR15s was that the mids did NOT need to cut in the main e.q. mix. Most people seem to automatically set their e.q. sliders in the "classic" V position, in effect boosting the highs and low and cutting the mids. The mids are where instrument sounds such as piano and much brass reside.
DNJ, you are playing many jobs with a $100 set of speakers and a $100. mixer and a $1500. keyboard. 20 years ago, you were spending 5 or 6 times that much for your gear. Inexpensive doesn't always mean poor quality. The manufacturers such as Shure, JBL, Fender, etc., have been charging extremely high prices for gear for many years. Now companies such as Behringer, Samson, and yes Peavey, are offering comparable or better gear at lower prices. The little $99. Alesis mixer is a wonderful example. You say buy cheap sound cheap, but you are buying cheap and sounding wonderful!
DonM

#204012 - 10/05/04 12:57 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
shiral Offline

Loc: IL, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
Tyros, played it many times ...big deal...not much diffeence then the 3k ..and costs so much more...

To me, it seems to mean that buying cheap doesn't necessarily mean sounding cheap. (no offense intended)

Shiral

[This message has been edited by shiral (edited 10-05-2004).]

#204013 - 10/05/04 02:32 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
DNJ, you are playing many jobs with a $100 set of speakers and a $100. mixer and a $1500. keyboard. You say buy cheap sound cheap, but you are buying cheap and sounding wonderful!
DonM

Excactly the point I was trying to make....yes I use the small speakers for 20% of my shows & the Barbetta sona 32c's for the other 80%, and sometmes for the hugh 500+ PP gigs I will add some subs......BUT....Don as you know because you also use the z2200 logitechs in small situations, its our talent as keyboard musicians & singers that make what goes thru and people hear in those cheap speakers in return they sound better then they are.....
I will pay for the right gear whatever it takes to be comfortable, lightweight navagatable, transportable......& of course great sound. I A/B'd everything in the store against the Barbettas sona 32c's before I bought them because my ears told me it was the right choice "FOR ME"......
I'm always open in the future for other options in speakers,gear etc... I have even played thru Uncle Daves Bose PAS system at a wedding, although they sound & look great and are very unique its just not the "right fit"
"FOR ME".......let your ears be your guide.....buyer beware

#204014 - 10/05/04 08:54 PM Re: Just tried the Peavey PR12's
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi DonM

You've got some good points there.

I think I will try them and any others starting with a flat setting.

I just remembered that my wife and the sales guy thought I had the hi's set way, way too high, like it was driving them nuts, and it seems to me Jen thought the bass was a bit strong. This seems to make sense to me. She also thinks I should have my hearing tested. lol

This may be why I noticed a lot of hiss also.

As far as equipment being cheaper and yet better, I agree there also. I was very pleased with the PSR2000 I had at the time.

When I A/B'd the Tyros and the PSR3000, I didn't test them flat. They may sound more alike that way. But, I was unable to set the 3000 mixer to sound like my favorite Tyros settings. This may or maynot be the reason there was such a noticable difference between the two to us. This may be a reason to A/B them again.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 10-05-2004).]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online