SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#203868 - 02/29/00 05:31 PM X1 OS Update
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
What are the new features of the newest OS update available from the Ketron FTP site. I can't really say that I want to upgrade without even knowing what the latest improvements are supposed to be. For all I know this latest OS could be for the Oriental market or something.

Tom

Tom

#203869 - 02/29/00 08:50 PM Re: X1 OS Update
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Tom,
There are at least three very cool improvements in the new operating system which is called 3.1A.
The first is for loading patterns into the internal memory. Before, you could only load to the next available location but with 3.1A you can load to any place you want. Also, you can delete patterns from the load page.
Second, there is now a global reverb and a right hand reverb. I think from what I've heard others say, this is a way to keep your right hand reverb seperate from the song reverb. In the past they both shared and musicians complained about having to use the Reverb the song wanted. This was not always a good choice for playing along with a song.
The third improvement is if you were using 3.0a USA software, you lost the jump feature while playing styles, and now it's back!
I don't know what other new features are here, but it's worth a download.
(The middle Eastern features are not included here, but Sandro in Italy just emailed me last week and said the middle eastern styles and sounds are almost ready! That's good news for many players)
(Retired 2021)

#203870 - 03/01/00 07:25 AM Re: X1 OS Update
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Thanks George!

Will they release documentation about the upgrade at a later time like a readme file on the FTP site?

According to the manual there is a speed-up/slow-up feature that I haven't been able to get to work either. Was that lost when jump was lost?

Again thank you very much.

Tom

Tom

#203871 - 03/01/00 08:29 AM Re: X1 OS Update
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Tom,
In order to get the speed up function to work you must have a 3.0 chip installed on the hard disk board inside the solton. The only way to know which one you have is by removing the cover of the keyboard and looking under the keyboard bed on the hard disk circuit board. There you will see a chip that will say 2.0 or 3.0. If you do not have the 3.0 one can be provided to you by calling Solton in New York. Ask to speak with John in Service. He has the ability to burn the new chip right here in the US. If you are not comfortable with opening the keyboard yourself, please take it to a keyboard service technician and they will be able to upgrade your keyboard.
George Kaye
(Retired 2021)

#203872 - 03/01/00 04:34 PM Re: X1 OS Update
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

George,

I spent 10 years as an organ repairman. I have no fear opening the unit. My guess is that I must not have the 3.0 chip because speedup doesn't work. If that's all changing the chip will do I don't feel that it's worth the effort. If however it does other things...... What do you recommend?

thanks

Tom

Tom

#203873 - 03/01/00 06:42 PM Re: X1 OS Update
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Tom,
I don't remember how to access it, but I'm sure the speed-up function worked when I had the X1. I didn't use it, but I remember trying it out.
Don

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online