SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#203778 - 08/08/02 08:26 AM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Ahhhhh I see the magic word "overdub"... You cannot overdub tracks with the 16 track sequencer... The PSR-2000 only allows you to overdub under style recording.. That's why they're saying you select tracks 9 and 10 because these are the drum tracks for a style.. The PSR-2000's sequencer will only allow you to record once to a track and if you try to overdub the new recorded data will replace the previously recorded one.. That's one gripe I have with Yammies sequencers in their arrangers.. Even the almighty 9000 Pro doesn't allow you to overdub using the standard 16 track sequencer.. You can do overdub recording on your PSR-2000, you just have to do it under style recording.. Hope this helped

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#203779 - 08/08/02 08:29 AM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
squeak_D Offline

Also want to add, that if you could overdub on track 1, one of the options would be "overdub"... Since this can't be done "overdub" is not an option.
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#203780 - 08/09/02 07:57 AM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
Shakil Offline

Well, thanks for the info, that I can't over dub, even on 9000 Pro? What's Yamaha thinking??????

But the main problem is still there. Let's not try to over dub, but punch in/out on a track. It doesn't remember the previous sound, it takes what's on the part, not what's on track.
For example, I record 8 bars each on 5 tracks. Now I go to track 2, punch in from measure 9 to 16, well, it doesn't set the current sound to what was on track 2 in the previous bars, it select whatever is on the part.
I hope you get what I am trying to say.

Anyone using the so called sequencer on PSR2000?

#203781 - 08/09/02 12:10 PM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
shakeel Ahmed Offline

Loc: gujranwala,punjab,Pakistan
Hi Shakil,

My name is also Shakeel Ahmed.And
I think like u I also use squencing very
deeply.I love to explore the sequencing
capabilites of a keyboard.

I have used many pro boards.Anw i
have 9000 and kn 6500.Now lets come to the point it is vvveeeerryyyy pity part of all
the members of this forum that they talk
very least about saquencing and sampling.

Now,to your point all yamaha
arranger boards have vveerryy poor sequencers
they dont work on it why....I dont know.
Since i dont own 2000 but i have realy
unnderstood your poit.Same problem like
yours,is with my 9000.It has even week
seqencing ablities than 2000.

However,the only slution is go
for Technics 6500.U will feel like a bird
in the sky.It has,i think THE BEST
sequencer evre designd for an arranger.
My, humble advice to you is sell this
2000 shit board,If u want to work on song
making and buy a new or a used kn6500.

#203782 - 08/09/02 02:22 PM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
squeak_D Offline

I don't think the PSR-2000's sequencer is cheap, but just lacking in some areas.. It should at least allow you to loop (outside of the style recorder), and it should allow you to overdub on all 16 tracks... For some reason Yamaha keeps making their sequencers this way... I wouldn't doubt that the "Tyros" has the same set up with its sequencer as well... It's a pitty the VERY expensive 9000 Pro is the same way too....

#203783 - 08/09/02 02:45 PM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
YES Thats it !!
So there are others who are having fun with the Y2K -SeQ.
I thought it was me but Squeak has a great piont "no loops"
How can you lay down a Bass line for the whole song , can`t you "build per messure" or atleast "1st ending" or "to bridge"
jedi

#203784 - 08/09/02 02:46 PM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Now, now Shakeel when you say U will feel like a bird in the sky you are going to ruffle a lot feathers. Come on Squeak, unruffle your feathers, he didn't say I don't think the PSR-2000's sequencer is cheap. All he said was my humble advice is sell this 2000 shit board. However, there is some good, just remember it's only one third the cost and very lite weight. Just be careful how you pick it up and don't get your fingers in it.

#203785 - 08/09/02 06:19 PM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
squeak_D Offline

Oh, sorry about the confusion.. I wasn't saying that he said the sequencer was "cheap" at all.. That was just my opinion on it.. I mean that "I myself" didn't feel it was cheap or totally useless so to say. I think the PSR-2000 is an awsome keyboard, Hell if I could afford it I would have already bought one. As far as I'm concerned the PSR-2000 is the best bang for the buck in its class.. Well worth the money. I just feel that Yamaha kind of cheeses out on the sequencer... Sorry if my post confused anyone.. Wasn't saying that anyone said the PSR-2000 was "cheap"...

Squeak

#203786 - 08/10/02 03:13 PM Re: PSR 2000 Sequencer Question
Shakil Offline

Thank you guys for chipping in for help.

I spent some time with PSR2000 sequencer this weekend, to figure out a way of working around the problems that are discussed above.
I am used to sequencer in TRITON. Where everything is stripped off the tracks, and you must set everything by yourself. But in PSR2000 you need to change the way you work with a basic sequencer.

1. There is a way of over dubbing a track.
2. There is a way to keep the sounds that are in track, so when you revisit the track, you won't overwrite the previous sound.

1. How to over dub record in PSR2000.
Record the first take in a track. When you want to overdub, record the take in a new track. Then just Mix the first track and the new track to the first track.

2. When you start a new song, you will use registration memory to store sound setting for each track.
Track 1 to 8: Main sound, reg memory 1 to 8
Track 9 to 16: Layer sound, reg memory 1 to 8.

So let's start it. I start by laying down a basic drum loop. Make sure MAIN voice is selected. Now select the drum kit you want to use, make volume, pan, effect send, filter, eq and other settings. Now save it in reg memory 1. Go ahead record your take in track 1, using MAIN voice as input part.

Now select the sound you want to use for second track. make changes to sound, and save it in reg memo 2. now you can go ahead and record as many tracks.

This way you can go back and forth between tracks, and not have to reselect the sound you selected previously.

I find that sequencing on PSR2000 is much faster, if you just change your ways a bit. And take advantage of the accompainant part. There are actually 32 parts in PSR2000, so you can record along any style, and then add the drum tracks later, or just use audio loops, once your song is in computer.

have fun with PSR2000.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online