SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202994 - 10/29/02 09:43 PM Tyros Pro Styles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi

I have been following the discussion on Tyros styles and have seen some people say that there are entirely new Pro Styles (compared to the PSR2000 or Clavinova CVP207/209) and some say that they are the same styles with the Mega voices. Can a Tyros owner or expert clarify; are the Pro styles entirely new styles or are they the PSR2000/Clavinova styles with the new Mega voices? If they are new, is there any chance that one of us - with connections to Yamaha - can get them to sell them on their Website yamahamusicsoft.com. On that site they do sell the internal styles of the highest level Clavinova CVP209. I realize that we may have to revoice the styles, but it would still be interesting to be able to purchase them.

Sam Safran
sam.safran@weizmannl.ac.il

#202995 - 10/29/02 10:34 PM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Sam: It was explained to me by Steve Deming, Asst Manager of Yamaha USA Customer Support, that the updated Tyros styles are basically the PSR2000/9000 & CVP207/209 styles, but certain instruments (Guitars, strings, bass, etc.) replaced with the new Mega voice sounds and re-sequenced at a higher midi timing resolution: 1,920ppq. This results in a style which more accurately captures the subtle timing nuances of the performer and produces a smoother sound. The principal feature of the mega voice sounds is that they consist of up to 20 different samples per instrument, and each one of the 20 sound samples is triggered according to 'how hard' you hit the key (velocity sensitivity). This allows the player to bring out different nuances of an a specific instrument by the way the note is played. These different samples also include things like string resononce, buzz, etc.

Actually the Mega Voice approach is not new, but instead, furthering the technology of the multi-sample approach used on some of the PSR2000's sounds which utilize multiple samples per instruments. For example, the PSR2000's Sweet Flute sound is very different if you play it soft or loud. Whereas the PSR2000's Sweet Flute may utilize only 2 samples, the Mega Voices consist of MANY more (20). It appears that the future trend is that Manufacters are going in the direction of this mulit-sample approach now, building in what has been traditionally triggered by kb controlers (vibrato, pitch bend, etc) into the sound sample itself now. In fact, Ketron has been using this multi-sample approach (3-4 samples) in some of its sounds as well. This can be used to trigger a sample which includes vibrato (or not) depending on how hard you hit the key. I remember reading on another thread how some people dislike (or or like) this approach. Some people want to trigger the traditional way via mod wheel or keyboard aftertouch, but having many levels of velocity samples (to me) offers the most realistic effect.

Even if the Tyros styles will be available on Yamaha's site for a fee, or exchanged by Tyros owners on the internet (for free), they will not sound the same on a non-Tyros board because it doesn't have the Tyros mega voices. In fact, I've ALREADY tried a few Tyros styles on my PSR2000 and feel that the PSR2000 version of that same style sounds better. I'm pretty convinced that the only real style difference is the Tyros mega voices, and without the Tyros, the styles are the same styles as those on the 2000/9000 & CVP 207/209.

#202996 - 10/30/02 01:00 PM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Sam: It was explained to me by Steve Deming, Asst Manager of Yamaha USA Customer Support, that the updated Tyros styles are basically the PSR2000/9000 & CVP207/209 styles, but certain instruments (Guitars, strings, bass, etc.) replaced with the new Mega voice sounds and re-sequenced at a higher midi timing resolution: 1,920ppq.

Scott,

That's not exactly what I said. Your statement is true of many of the styles. I was trying to emphasize that, just the use of MegaVoices, and other new voices, in the styles would make them sound significantly different. In order to get the MegaVoices into the styles at the higher resolution, the styles did have to be resequenced - ALL of them. While many of them will sound familiar, none of them will be exactly the same. And since Tyros has 300 styles, many of them are new/different from what you've seen in recent PSR/CVP models. Tyros styles that are based on an existing style will, in some cases, sound quite different, and in other cases, sound very familiar. Mostly the Pro styles or Session styles will sound new and different, but in some cases, a basic style too.

Your point about importing them into a PSR2000 or other keyboard having a lesser effect is quite right, but of course there are about a hundred new styles. Some of them will be made available for purchase in the not too distant future.

I hope that clears things up somewhat.

Steve Deming

[This message has been edited by YamahaUS1 (edited 10-30-2002).]

#202997 - 10/30/02 04:24 PM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by YamahaUS1:
[B] of course there are about a hundred new styles. Some of them will be made available for purchase in the not too distant future.[B]

Hi Steve, it's GREAT to hear that the Tyros actually includes NEW styles (approx 100) in addition to the more familiar sounding styles (abeit re-sequenced at the higher midi timing resolution, and with new mega voices) we Yamaha PSR players have grown so accustomed to hearing.

Here's a link to Simon William's SVP World page which gives the list of the Tyros Styles: http://www.svpworld.com/tyrosreview2.htm

Many of the style 'names' on that list appear (to me) to have the SAME name as the styles on the PSR2000/9000 and other current/older Yamaha arrangers. I would think that Yamaha would give a NEW style a NEW name as well, in order to easily distinguish it from an older version style.

Steve, can you possibly provide us with a listing of the 100 (+ or -) Tyros Styles (from the 300 total Tyros styles) which are totally "new/different from what we've (you've) seen in recent PSR/CVP models"? Thanks. - Scott

In the meantime, I wait patiently for Tyros' arrival on the shores of California.

#202998 - 10/30/02 11:52 PM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
royandreno Offline

Loc: Sandnes, Norway
Hi Sam!
I can tell you that some Pro styles are not new styles, but they are better sequenced and more dynamic than the predecessors, which I found a bit "saturated". Other pro styles ARE new, but I'm comparing this to the 9000, so I'm not sure whether you have them or not.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

#202999 - 10/31/02 01:59 AM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
I received my Tyros yesterday and spent countless hours yesterday evening exploring the styles on board. I can tell you that MANY of the styles employ the new megavoices and panel sounds, including basic and session styles. The Tyros styles DO sound very different to what we have heard on the other keyboards from Yamaha, much more lively, more professional, very slick and most of all natural. Whether its the improved sequencer resolution, the faster CPU's, the sounds, the bigger style file size or a combination of all of these parameters, the tyros definitely sounds "different" to my psr9000. The dance styles of the tyros are incredible, there are some very up to-date grooves (r&b chart style), the big band styles don't drive you up the wall anymore but actually sound very musical now and there's some great guitar strumming styles as a result of the new sounds. The multipads are also very slick and include some amazing vinyl crackly dj effects, guitar licks and so on. My only criticism so far is the grand piano voice, it sounds slightly noisy and lacking the body of the 9000's standard grand, but that just might be my imagination! Another thing, it seems to take a short while before it warms up and sounds sweet - on first unpacking the tyros and playing it, I felt some of the sounds were very slightly noisy and I could detect a subtle soft distorted edge to certain piano voices (very slightly), but this went away after a few hours playing. This was playing the Tyros through my HiFi, so maybe its was too revealing!
Its early days yet, I've still a lot to explore and will be putting together a full review soon.

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#203000 - 10/31/02 03:48 AM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
trtjazz Offline

Simon,
Thanks look forward to your more in depthe review......hurry up already you don't look well today, perhaps you should call in sick to work.

I got it, call your boss and say I feel too good to come to work today, besides I have a new toy to play with and the guys at SZ are waiting for my in depthe review.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 10-31-2002).]

#203001 - 10/31/02 03:47 PM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Simon,
Happy to hear you received your Tyros. Good luck and please keep the reviews coming......Lou

ps. did you receive my reply and the Beta Freemidi Tyros Patchlist file?

#203002 - 10/31/02 03:59 PM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Lou Y:
Simon,
Happy to hear you received your Tyros. Good luck and please keep the reviews coming......Lou

ps. did you receive my reply and the Beta Freemidi Tyros Patchlist file?

Yes Lou, I received the patchlist file. Sorry I havent replied to you but I've been absolutely snowed under with emails lately, what and with the new Tyros plus new reviews to complete for SVPworld and several new cd's to review, I need a few minutes to breath!

Simon

------------------
http://www.svpworld.com

#203003 - 10/31/02 04:10 PM Re: Tyros Pro Styles
Lou Y Offline

Loc: NY USA
Simon
I'm glad you got the file and I'm sure in your own time you will take care of business. Thanks, ....now get back to work!
Lou

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online