SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#2027 - 02/22/03 03:39 PM Trying to decide on a new synth
Anonymous
Unregistered

I haven't bought a new synth since 1989 and I'm a little behind the times. I just started playing with a band as a keyboard player and am shoping for new sounds. What boards do y'all recommend for under $2K that are good for live performance of rock cover tunes. I also want to get a good piano sound. I'm looking at the Triton LE, Roland Fantom and Yamaha Motif. I'm not that excited about creating my own sounds but sequencing seems cool. Ideas?

#2028 - 02/23/03 12:49 AM Re: Trying to decide on a new synth
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I piano is important to you, you should really try to audition these keyboards yourself at a local store. Piano samples are a very subjective thing and each has his own preference. The weakest of the bunch you mention, without adding expansion cards, would be the Triton LE though it has many other patches which are very cool but its stock piano is a little rough. I would look at the Roland Fantom and the Yamaha Motif as strong choices.

#2029 - 02/25/03 04:40 PM Re: Trying to decide on a new synth
Anonymous
Unregistered

A second opinion confirms Nigel's entry...to the letter. Yamaha Motif and Roland Fantom should likely prove themselves to be worthy of purchase. Which is right for you is a matter of personal choice. They both have outstanding sound. I believe the Roland interfacing to operate is more intuative. I say this from not so much knowing the Roland Fantom very well (although I did recently trial it), but from still not knowing all the abilities of the Yamaha Motif 6 that I own. I read this book though, it came with it. I think its title was something like "Owner's Manual". I was amazed. It talked all about the Motif. What a coincidence that is huh!? Reading it is essential in order to use the unit properly.
MORPH!

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online