SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#202788 - 07/30/01 11:14 AM Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer.
I only play for pleasure at home, I play Keyboard by reading music (not by ear) In fact I quite like reading music, a bit like reading a book.
I play chords with accompany styles in left hand and melody with a selected voice in the right hand as most players do.
Usually I mute most style parts leaving Drums -Bass with my left hand playing Piano or El-Piano. this encourages me to put chord fills in occasionally between the chord changes into the Drums & Bass backing.

I am interested in developing my backing technique, so what do you pros do when either singing the melody line yourself or accompanying a singer. Do you vamp the chords also with the right hand with the occasional arpeggio. I can play and use most chords, but do not bother with the 9th & 13th etc:
I practice usually around a 12 bar sequence mostly in C although I normally play and read music in most key signatures.

Can I have your input please......I am sure there are many Forum members who would be interested in this subject.

Graham UK

#202789 - 07/30/01 12:12 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
I have been playing and accompany singers voice with one man band (arranger) for a while. If I wanted full band effect, I use the built in drums style from the arranger. I also use my left hand for manual bass, and right hand for chords and transitions with very little melodies. It works quite good and feels like a full live band. If you use the automatic rhythm, you will not get a LIVE feeling unless the rhythm really fits well with the song. With the manual bass and your own chords, you can accentuate better. This method really works for me and I know some of the great players in this forum (if not all) uses the same methods.

#202790 - 07/30/01 12:41 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
lukitoh......If I tried to play left hand Bass it would have to be a very simple Riff for me to handle it, and then it possibly would not sound good enough.....Its a bit like rubbing the top of your head with one hand and your tummy with the other, if you get my meaning HA!!
What's the simplest bass run I can get away with for starters??

It is something for me to consider trying, and thanks for your input.

Graham UK

#202791 - 07/30/01 12:59 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Graham, The easiest way to get use to manual bass, is to use the root and fifth of a chord alternately[ as an example in a C chord, play C on the first beat of a 4/4 measure and G on the third beat, then try double beats , C on the first and second beat[try octaves too] and G on the third and forth.. After you are comfortable , try to walk the bass, in simple form, use the 4th and 7th within the chord..It will start to come natural, especially if you know chords well...Fran

#202792 - 07/30/01 01:28 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Fran,
you are an egomaniac!

#202793 - 07/30/01 02:33 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Graham UK,
I highly recommend learning manual bass - your playing quality will really improve. Pick some easy rhythms like those slow 8 beats. Then slowly learn the others. Your keyboard arranger is a great learning tool too. I learned many of my bass lines from my own arranger. At first, I just concentrate on the bass lines and not worry too much with my right hand and try to follow a song with simple bass lines from CD/tape. Don't start with walking bass lines - those are for more advanced players. It's like learning to ride a bike, you'll get used to it after a while.
-Han

#202794 - 07/30/01 04:06 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Hi Graham,
Take it from one who dosen't read hardly a note of music. I have to learn it the other way. Many times not exactly the way it was written. I play mostly country style. Many times I use the last line of a song to open it,or the last line of the chorus.
Sometimes they have a special entry, in this case I try to use it.
I almost never play lead notes when someone is singing. When they are singing they are the lead. I always try to lead them into a verse.
I then play fill notes behind there singing,
but very low, giving them the floor! I come in a little louder to lead them into chorus or ect. In the middle of the song I may play a short turnover, maybe a couple of lines.
Then some kind of a ending, depending on the song! That said!
"Graham" I admire one who can read music.
I wish I had learned Years ago!! But now you
know how I have to do it!
Keep Pounding them keys,
Nobby

PS. Fran looks like the synthzone ghost is really busy tonight,look below! That's what they make delete for! HeHe! Sorry I just couldn't resist!

I fixed it Fran!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 07-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Nobby (edited 07-30-2001).]

#202795 - 07/30/01 05:19 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Fran Carango Offline

Nobby, the word is "below" , that is why they have edit....

#202796 - 07/30/01 06:33 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Nobby Offline

Loc: Palmyra Mo. U.S.A.
Fran,
Now why did I do that!
Excuse my english!
Nobby

------------------

#202797 - 07/30/01 06:40 PM Re: Playing Keyboard Whilst Accompanying Singer
Fran Carango Offline

Nobby, I'm telling you it's the Synthzone ghosts..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online