SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202674 - 01/04/05 09:45 AM For LH bassers ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you play a Yamaha arranger and want to play LH bass, and still get the arranger to follow the RH ..... there is a slight workaround that sorta works....at least it did in my test this week.
Prior discussions sparked my curiosity, so I set up my 3k in FULL kb mode, split the LH (as a bass sound), turned OFF the arranger bass part and gave it a whirl.
The chords react a little strange because the bass line keeps changing the root of the chord to a passing tone if the part is busy, but all in all - it did better than I expected. For songs with walking bass lines like "Whiter shade of Pale" or "Piano Man" it works great to keep the right chord and add the correct descending bass note.

One thing is unfortunate - Yamaha registrations don't memorize the arr recognition mode - pity, because I'd use it more if it could be memorized in registrations.

For those of you who really want to hear more going on, but still play your own bass lines ..... give it a try.

[This message has been edited by Uncle Dave (edited 01-04-2005).]

#202675 - 01/04/05 09:50 AM Re: For LH bassers ....
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
That's an ingenious solution, I must give it a try.

Word has it Yamaha is getting ready to release a new O.S. Release 2.0 for the Tyros. Usually major version changes include many new features. Perhaps they will address the Registration issue in this release and then roll it downstream to the other Keyboards like the 3000?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#202676 - 01/04/05 10:09 AM Re: For LH bassers ....
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
UD: I too have actually tried this on numerous occasions, but met with only limited success.

As another abeit awkward workaround, I assign the RIGHT hand to a Bass Voice, triggering the chords with LEFT hand, and playing bass lines with the RIGHT hand instead of left. A bit of a challenge at first, but once accustomed to doing it, it quickly gets easier.

The bottom line is that Yamaha needs to finally add split mode RIGHT HAND triggerable auto accompaniment recognition, freeing the LEFT HAND to play Bass Lines as in the style customarily played on an acoustic piano.

Scott

#202677 - 01/04/05 10:41 AM Re: For LH bassers ....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Roland arrangers do this easily...and you can save everything in a Performance....Maybe you guys should consider GoodGuy's EM2000..

#202678 - 01/04/05 10:52 AM Re: For LH bassers ....
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Fran, are you a Roland fan or something?
DonM

#202679 - 01/04/05 12:30 PM Re: For LH bassers ....
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Don did I give you that impression,,,I am very open minded, which Roland is the best...See my new post..Recapping Our Arranger lists..

#202680 - 01/04/05 08:10 PM Re: For LH bassers ....
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
No kidding - Fran likes Roland? Hmmm - whodathunkit?

I played 2 sets in this new split mode tonight, and it's not too bad. The bigest problem is this:
Yamaha makes better bass patterns than all the rest of their arranger parts, so when you shut off the auto bass .... the rest of the band is just so-so....almost unneccesary if you play a strong bass line to begin with.
I may experiment more with it to see if I can swap some nice string pads and sustained lines from other patterns.

For the most part - I'd just as soon play the bass, piano/strings, drums and sing as is ...... I only use the arranger when a bigger impact is needed. ( mostly R&R and Disco type dance stuff )

Playing bass with my RH would be like trying to throw a baseball Left Handed .... Never in a million years for me. I can handle the bass line OK, but the LH chords ..... no way on Gods Musical earth.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online