SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#202621 - 01/07/07 11:50 AM Casio WK-8000 or Yamaha YPG525?
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
I'm buying a portable keayboard for my church.

Your suggestions are wellcome.

Thanks

------------------
www.tagworld.com/vicentelopez

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY! smile

#202622 - 01/07/07 02:42 PM Re: Casio WK-8000 or Yamaha YPG525?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
Both models have 88 touch sensitive keys that look like piano keys but don't feel like weighted keys (because they are not).
The Casio sells for $499 and the Yamaha sells for over $600. Both have wooden stands. The Casio has stereo outputs, the Yamaha does not.
Sounds in both are similar in quality, the drum sounds are better on the Yamaha. The Casio has a lot more features including a digital programmable drawbar organ, a realistic leslie simulator which can be controlled by the modulation wheel, a programable synthesizer which means you can edit the sounds and store your creations, both have USB, both let you store songs you create on their internal sequencers on either a USB drive on the Yamaha or a SD card on the Casio.
Casio also allows you to load new styles, samples and drum sounds from their library directly into the keyboard.
The casio speakers are louder but both sound good.
The casio can handle two pedals the yamaha only one.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#202623 - 01/07/07 05:01 PM Re: Casio WK-8000 or Yamaha YPG525?
ViLo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
Both models have 88 touch sensitive keys that look like piano keys but don't feel like weighted keys (because they are not).
The Casio sells for $499 and the Yamaha sells for over $600. Both have wooden stands. The Casio has stereo outputs, the Yamaha does not.
Sounds in both are similar in quality, the drum sounds are better on the Yamaha. The Casio has a lot more features including a digital programmable drawbar organ, a realistic leslie simulator which can be controlled by the modulation wheel, a programable synthesizer which means you can edit the sounds and store your creations, both have USB, both let you store songs you create on their internal sequencers on either a USB drive on the Yamaha or a SD card on the Casio.
Casio also allows you to load new styles, samples and drum sounds from their library directly into the keyboard.
The casio speakers are louder but both sound good.
The casio can handle two pedals the yamaha only one.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California

Thanks George, I just came back fom GC in Arlingon, TX, The pianos on the Wk8000 sounded "toyish" to me, In my opinion [I'm not an expert] the sounds on the Yamaha sounded sweeter, the keys felt of a better quality, I can get the Yamaha for $525.00 no bag. I can get the WK8000 for $425.00 I'm trying to fall in love with it, with carrying case w/wheels it'll be $515.00, any advice on how to make the Wk8000 sound better is greatly appreciated.

George how do you compare the sounds on this 2 boards?

Thanks!

------------------

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY!

[This message has been edited by ViLo (edited 01-07-2007).]

#202624 - 01/08/07 05:14 AM Re: Casio WK-8000 or Yamaha YPG525?
keysvocalssax Offline

Loc: Miami FL nov-may/Lakeville CT ...
I have played both in the store. The live! grand piano sound on the Yamaha is far superior.IMO. there are 4 or 5 outstanding electric piano sounds, too. all far superior to the Casio.
the Casio has big edge in the organs and features. the lack of l/r outputs on Yamaha is big drawback to me..you lose the internal speakers when you have to use the headphone jack out to external amp. but Casio still refusesto have tap tempo button..to me essential for feeling a groove and going right into it.

Make the decision on your needs..both are incredible kb's for the $$$

------------------
Miami Mo

#202625 - 01/08/07 06:43 AM Re: Casio WK-8000 or Yamaha YPG525?
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
The moment I put the Casio WK8000 on my floor, I turned off the Multi effex light, went to the "mixer" button, adjusted the Reverb down about 1/2 and stored this piano in the first user voice.
When my customers come in, I first show them the stock grand piano, let them hear it and then proceed to the user piano I created. The difference is huge. In my opinion, this is all that needs to be done to make the piano sound good. There is a gated reverb setting applied in the factory sound. I don't know why they did this but it was also in the WK3000, WK3500, WK3200, WK3700 and the newest WK's as well!
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#202626 - 01/08/07 05:40 PM Re: Casio WK-8000 or Yamaha YPG525?
ViLo Offline

Thanks

------------------

#202627 - 01/11/07 11:28 AM Re: Casio WK-8000 or Yamaha YPG525?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The 8000 I got from George does what I need it to do. I have looked at the Yamaha since I got this, and am satisfied with my choice, even though I bought it sight unseen (that's good)!

Now, If I was that brave on the SD-5. I took a flyer on a $500.00 instrument, but more bucks means more caution.

Russ

#202628 - 01/12/07 02:11 PM Re: Casio WK-8000 or Yamaha YPG525?
ViLo Offline

I bougth the WK-8000 yesterday, so the piano player will decide if is a keeper or not.

For the price I think is OK, but is huge, and that's a problem since we have to pick it up every weekend, will see..............

Thanks

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online