SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#202574 - 05/04/03 02:59 PM To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Alrighty I've gotten quite a few emails recently from people here on the forum regarding new keyboards for a beginner who have very little to no experience on them... I've had a few people finish with some not so nice things to say about synth's they've already bought (and are upset with them), and so forth...

Here it is guys: If you are a newbie to keyboards whether it be a full blown synth or an arranger keep this in mind... If you are buying your first synth and have absolutely no idea how to operate them do not buy:

Yamaha Motif
Korg Triton Studio
Kurzweil K series
Roland Fantom
and any other top line arranger... If you hvae no experience with a synth or how they operate these models will most likely get you frustrated ... It's not to say they're bad, but generally to use one of these keyboards you should at least have an understanding as to how they operate.. I've gotten several emails from people who bought Tritons, and Motifs complaing that this is their first synth and that it's crap because they can't figure it out.. Not to be mean, but it's not the synth it's the user... If you have never laid hands on a synth in your life and know absolutely nothing about them you will most likely be confused with the terminology within the manual and the synth itself. My suggestion is to get your hands on something basic.. If you want a Triton, get the Triton LE.. It doesn't carry the huge price tag of the big one, but it's a good starter synth (even for pros on a budget). You can even get decent used Korgs like the N364 or N264... These two models are excellent first time synths, and they still sound pretty good too..... Just like arrangers these top line synths are pricey.. A Yamaha Motif will set you back upwards of $1700, and a Triton Studio will run you over $2,000... This is huge investment to make, so if you're going to make it be sure to have the patience to learn how to use them... Arrangers are the same way.. If you don't know much about keyboards and want an arranger, I suggest not buying something top line like a PSR-9000, 9000 Pro, Roland VA-7, Technics KN-7000, Korg PA-80 or any other top of the notch arranger.. If you want to make a good investment into a really good and powerful arranger keyboard that will work for both beginners and pros then I's suggest the PSR-2000.... The PSR-2000 is along the same price line of the Korg Triton LE too.. The PSR-2000 is a great keyboard, and would work quite well for a beginner.. There are a lot of really good pros here on the forum who own PSR-2000's and some beginners as well... Don't just go out and buy the biggest and baddest keyboard in the store... Don't let the sales person make you think you need something like a Triton Studio to sound good... There are a lot of crummy sales reps out there who will talk beginners into buying something like that.... We're not all blessed enough to have people like George Kaye, and Dan O'Neil in our areas who know what they're doing and will give you a fair deal.. You need to research what you're looking for.. Use the web and do a search for keyboards.. Many makers have the manual posted on the Web... Take a look at them and see if the terminology confuses you... When you shop be sure to shop smart..

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-04-2003).]

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-04-2003).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#202575 - 05/04/03 09:48 PM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
S0C9 Offline

Loc: NRH, TX, USA
Hear ! Hear !!

DITTO to that !! Squeak !!

Regards,
Steve

#202576 - 05/04/03 11:34 PM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
The PSR-2000 is a great keyboard, and would work quite well for a beginner.. There are a lot of really good pros here on the forum who own PSR-2000's and some beginners as well... Don't just go out and buy the biggest and baddest keyboard in the store...

Ditto. I've been advocating this SAME thing for a LONG time here as well.

Quote:
Originally posted by squeak_D:
Don't let the sales person make you think you need something like a Triton Studio to sound good...

RIGHT again. No expensive 'top of the line' keyboard with every bell and whistle can ever replace what can ONLY result from the years of hard work (dues we gotta pay) to develop the keyboard chops and the creative music vision required of a truly competent musician, don't EVER get fooled into thinking that. Don't lose sight of the fact that even though lot's of short cuts abound, that the heart and soul of our music has got to come from us, not the arranger.

I believe as performing arranger keyboardists, that we should never rest on our laurels and just expect the arranger's features to fill in for our weakness, but instead, work to further our musicianship skills (continued ear training, music theory, polishing our keyboard chops, vocal exercises, expanding our repetoire, & also playing & learning from preferably BETTER accomplished musicians than ourselves). In addition to rasing the level of professionalism of our arranger keyboard performance, we might finally gain the respect of our non-arranger keyboard musician peers out there as well, and on a $1,200 PSR2000 keyboard to boot.

- Scott

#202577 - 05/05/03 06:20 AM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
squeak_D Offline

Also keep in mind that it's not really the keyboard that makes the person sound good.. It's the person sitting behind the keys that makes it sound good.. The keyboard is just a tool for you.... It doesn't take a Yamaha Motif or Triton Studio to sound like a pro.. I've seen people play Casio's and make them sound great.. You have to take the experience you have and put that into the keys... Don't fall into all the hype with this newer equipment out there that claims you need no musical talent to be a musician... This not true at all..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#202578 - 05/05/03 11:00 AM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
KN_Fan Offline

Triton Studio? Why am I feeling convicted about this?

Just a little addition- EVEN when you think you're familiar with synth and music in general, especially those "old school" people (like me)..you still need to watch out....these keyboards can be tricky...I grew up with Roland D50/D70/MC500, Technics, Yamahas...so I thought I was "OK"...its already a few months into my new Triton Studio, and I'm just beginning to somewhat effectively using it.

#202579 - 05/05/03 11:13 AM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
squeak_D Offline

You still have that background on them KN_Fan.. How does that Studio sound compared to the Classic.. I don't hate the sounds of the Triton Classic, it's just I felt the Yamaha's acoustic sounds were considerably better.. It's a toss up really with the synth sounds.. The Classic did have some good synth leads and pads. It's old competor the EX-5 had some killer, and I mean down right killer synth sounds. Some of them were just scarey..

Squeak

#202580 - 05/05/03 11:22 AM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
"Also keep in mind that it's not really the keyboard that makes the person sound good.. It's the person sitting behind the keys that makes it sound good.. The keyboard is just a tool for you...."

I've always looked at keyboards and cameras in the same light. The keyboard is only as good as the person standing behind it--just like a camera. You can own the best Nikon and take lousy photos, and a good entertainer can make an elcheapo keyboard sound pretty darn good.

Cheers,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#202581 - 05/05/03 12:16 PM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
KN_Fan Offline

Hi Squeak,

Thanks for the kind words

I've never heard Classics before- I know that at least with my Studio, it came complete with Expansion Board for Piano (which was optional for classic). I agree with you on Acoustic sounds. I will have to say that some of Yamaha's sound has the 'thickness' and sounds fuller than Korgs. Just my opinion. But, no doubt that if you're into Techno/synth kinda music, the Triton would be a godsend to you.

#202582 - 05/05/03 12:21 PM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
squeak_D Offline

Posted by Scott Yee
----------------------------------

"I believe as performing arranger keyboardists, that we should never rest on our laurels and just expect the arranger's features to fill in for our weakness, but instead, work to further our musicianship skills (continued ear training, music theory, polishing our keyboard chops, vocal exercises, expanding our repetoire, & also playing & learning from preferably BETTER accomplished musicians than ourselves). In addition to rasing the level of professionalism of our arranger keyboard performance, we might finally gain the respect of our non-arranger keyboard musician peers out there as well, and on a $1,200 PSR2000 keyboard to boot."
--------------------------------------

Well said Scott.. That's why I always like using my own styles... If you keep using the styles of the keyboard you'll get some repetition. Customizing your own styles adds a personal touch to the music.. By creating and using your own styles the keyboard will now reflect the performer and not the maker...

Squeak

#202583 - 05/05/03 12:26 PM Re: To any Newbie on the Forum looking for a good keyboard(and those who emailed me)
squeak_D Offline

KN_Fan,
You're absolutely right... If you're into dance/techno, rap/hip hop/r&b, ect that Triton Studio is going to blow your mind when creating these styles of music.. Even the Classic was great for these styles... I think that's why I like the Motif so much too... It has a killer voice set for all that stuff, plus it has great acoustic instruments for throwing down nice scores and instrumentals that require good acoustic sounds.... The Motif too is killer at doing dance and so forth.. Especially with its integrated sampling sequencer.. I think the Studio now offers this but calls it something else.. Korg is also offering great deals right now with free cards and rebates to anyone how buys either the Classic or Studio....... Yamaha should do this.. Isn't Korg offering like $140 mail in rebates and choice of selected expansion boards, and a CD loaded with samples????? Yamaha pay attention to this.. Korg has their stuff right on this deal...

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 05-05-2003).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online